The Cat's MLB Over/Under Bets & Detailed Writeups - June 19, 2012 - YTD: 176-176-16

Search
Tokens
2012 MLB O/U Record: 176-176-16, -$1,533 (Been making bigger bets this year, with countless bad breaks, obviously)
2011 MLB O/U Record: 366-270-42, +$1,104

Well, another day, another bad break yesterday in my best bet Jonathan Sanchez vs JA Happ under 8.5. Once again, I’m not rewarded for a brilliant bold prediction that most people weren’t expecting, as both guys contributed unlikely quality starts in getting the game to 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th, especially Happ, one of my top three favorite pitchers in baseball, who contributed six terrific four-hit innings while only issuing two runs. Unfortunately, it just turned out to be yet another case of a victory for people who made the wrong bet. Obviously, people who took the over of that game were thinking, “Oh man! Jonathan Sanchez and JA Happ facing each other?? Those guys are scrubs, that’s going over!” Well, those people were 100-percent wrong, yet curiously were still rewarded with a “victory.” And no, there’s not a single person on earth that could have predicted that Louis Coleman, one of the best relievers in that outstanding young Kansas City bullpen, would give up five runs in the bottom of the 8th, nor that his ERA would jump up by a full run-and-a-half. Ugh. But I’m used to this by now, even though this didn't come close to happening so consistently in years' past, so let’s just move on…

**Dollar Amounts To Be Posted Later Leading Up To Gametime**

Minnesota Twins @ Pittsburgh Pirates (Best Bet)
Scott Diamond vs Kevin Correia
UNDER8.5

What a strange turn of events. When I got home last night and proceeded to do my two-hour MLB Over/Under routine that I have done every single night this year (Not to mention every single night last season, most nights during 2010, and a lot of nights during 2009 when I first started. It’s proven, battle-tested, and will never change as long as I do this), the line for this game was a measly 7.5. As a result, I went to sleep hoping the line would go up to 8 at some point Tuesday, and out of nowhere, when I checked the lines this morning as soon as I woke up, the over/under had somehow jumped up to 8.5. I wonder what the reasoning is for that, as it’s very rare when a line is changed by a FULL run overnight - it’s happened plenty of times throughout a given day, but in the span of only a few hours? That’s a true rarity. In any case, there’s much evidence to enjoy the under here.

Scott Diamond, as I wrote about before his very first start this season when no one had even heard of him, is a quality young left-handed pitcher. He couldn’t have made me more right in that very first start, as he not only out-dueled the wily Dan Haren, he also shut out an extremely potent Angels offense - in Anaheim. Ever since then, Diamond has been on cruise control, possessing a 5-2 record with a 2.13 ERA and 1.18 WHIP. Most impressive, of course, is the fact that he’s only walked SIX battersall season! In fact, he’s walked one or less batter in six of his seven starts, although unfortunately, the one start where he walked more than one came in his last start, in which he also surrendered a season-high four earned runs against the Phillies. No worries, though, as he walked only two in that outing, and that’s the thing I love about Scott Diamond. He MAKES you beat him with the bat; it’s not common to find a pitcher with such a low walk rate, and I appreciate hurlers with that ability. While he’s not a good strikeout pitcher, if you are to beat Scott Diamond, you have to do it by finding holes through the infield or looping the ball into certain spots in the outfield, which is tough to do. What makes Diamond tougher is that he’s only given up six homers this year so the only way you can beat him is by stringing together singles and doubles consecutively, which won’t be easy in a National League game when you have the pitcher up every three innings. Diamond should continue the roll he’s in (Pittsburgh in the bottom third of baseball against left-handed pitching), not to mention continue his bid for a spot on the AL all-star team.

That's just one half to the equation; the other, luckily, is no scrub either, that being Kevin Correia. Yes, his numbers are not special at all (2-6, 4.43 ERA, 1.32 WHIP), and his 24:21 K:BB ratio isn’t pretty, but it’s not like his numbers are horrible. In fact, Correia has shown this year that he can still be a solid pitcher, even if in flashes, as half of his starts have clocked in as official quality outings. Unfortunately, Correia hasn’t had an official quality start in June (He just missed one in the beginning with a start where he went 5.2 IP giving up only two runs in Milwaukee), but maybe the Law of Averages can aid us here, as he’s a bit better than that, and isn’t facing an offense that lights the world on fire or anything (Plus Joe Mauer is doubtful for tonight). The main thing I like about Correia, which is something I only noticed this season, is that he’s actually a passionate pitcher. I feel like I mention this every time I take a Kevin Correia start, but from watching him in a few instances this season, he surprisingly invests himself very emotionally, more so than I notice from most pitchers - and that’s saying something when I’ve watched literally every starting pitcher in all of baseball (Thank you, Extra Innings package). Thus, Correia is not the type of guy that will just roll over and let things snowball; he cares more than most how his start turns out, and with a fine chance to record his first quality start in the month of June on this Tuesday night (The Twins are in the bottom third of the league in hitting versus right-handed pitching), I think he’ll capitalize. 8.5 runs is a high line for this type of pitching matchup in a National League park.

Other 6/19 MLB Over/Unders I’m Taking:
Aaron Harang vs Brandon McCarthy UNDER 7(Please tell me this is the same Brandon McCarthy we’ve grown accustomed to in recent years. I hate taking pitchers coming off an injury, even if it’s minor, but the line being 7 is too good to pass up)

Scott Feldman vs Edinson Volquez OVER 7(As a Ranger fan, I’ve given Scott Feldman numerous opportunities, since he had that wonderful season in 2009. But in 2012, he just doesn’t have it anymore, and he’s proven that countless times already. Volquez was one of my darling sleepers this year that I’ve been 100-percent right on, but I don’t think this will be one of his better outings)

Lance Lynn vs Justin Verlander OVER 7 (Justin Verlander might be the best American League pitcher, but this season, there have been a few times where he actually looked vulnerable, unlike in 2011. Lance Lynn is someone I’ve always liked and it’s nice to see him succeed in this unexpected dominant fashion he has put on display, but I sense he gives up at least a few in this MLB Network Tuesday night Detroit setting)

Also of Note: Not taking it yet, but Outman vs Hamels is a VERY frustrating pitching matchup to analyze. I want to go under (The line went from 8 to 7.5 overnight), but a 6-2/8-2 outcome is very possible. I’ll be researching this one more throughout the day, as Josh Outman is much better than his awful numbers indicate and can be a very interesting southpaw. Hmmmm

**May Add More Over/Under(s) ThroughoutDay Leading Up To Gametime**

Banned
Tokens
The right side is the side that wins. The side that pays you. Don't ever forget that. Novice bettors often tell themselves they were on the right side but lost. Such a cliche. No such thing.

Don't start throwing stats and 99% of the time KC closes that game etc etc. Not this time. This time you were on the wrong side.

Tokens
The right side is the side that wins. The side that pays you. Don't ever forget that. Novice bettors often tell themselves they were on the right side but lost. Such a cliche. No such thing.

Don't start throwing stats and 99% of the time KC closes that game etc etc. Not this time. This time you were on the wrong side.

Jag you check the mainboard lately?

Tokens

I respect everyone's opinion, and you have more seniority on these forums so I assume you are more of a gambling veteran than I am (I started in the 09 season). But follow me here...

-The main reason to bet an over/under is because of the starting pitching matchup, period. Pitchers are the ones who dictate how the game goes and the pace of it, not the hitters.

-In this specific game, it was Jonathan Sanchez vs JA Happ. Thus, the reason why people took the over is because they thought either one or both would get bombed, which is a fine opinion to have because they've both been erratic all year. However... Sanchez gave up three earned runs in six innings, while Happ was tremendous in allowing only two runs through his six four-hit innings. THUS, the reason for taking the over is destroyed right there. Over bettors were wrong based on how each pitcher fared, considering the line was as high as it was (It'd be different if the line was, say, 7. Then they would be right) and how they got the game to be 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th inning.

-Over bettors needed a LUCKY off appearance from one of the best young relievers in the American League, Louis Coleman. In fact, Coleman was pounded so bad that his ERA jumped from 3.15 to 4.91. You're saying there's someone in the country who took the over was banking on something like that to happen? How? The Royals have one of the best bullpens in the league, oozing young talent across the board with a number of guys that are capable of becoming good closers, not to mention serving in their current roles well. The runs scored in the ninth were irrelevant, as Brett Myers' mindset from protecting a 4-2/5-2 lead was completely wiped out when it inexplicably became 9-2. Thus, he entered the game with a different mentality and not at all the same sense of urgency he utilizes in closing out a game, which he has done better than most. Thus, it would also be unlikely to expect a meltdown from Myers in a 4-2/5-2 affair to protect the lead. Therefore, whoever took the over made the wrong bet, and got some luck in helping them with the victory, because there's no way they could predict a weak offense like Houston's striking Kansas City's talented bullpen in the manner that they did.

It's no big deal, lucky breaks happen. But trust me, no one has studied over/unders more than I have so this observation comes from years of studying - you just can't assume that "the right side is only the winning bet" when you haven't studied over/unders like I have (Or maybe you have?). These breaks just stick out more because they've been happening more than ever (Factually) on a consistent basis.

Tokens
Final $$ amounts for my 7 o'clock games...

Diamond vs Correia UNDER 8.5 - $87 for $75
Lynn vs Verlander OVER 7 - $25 for $20
Price vs Wang OVER 7.5 - $22 for $20

Tokens
Hi,

I asked this of you in the past and the reason I'm asking again is this...never got a reply. Why don't you flat bet? You are sporting a .500 record which, counting your 'bad breaks' is still very good considering the number of plays you have. So, having a .500 record and looking for good lines like you have in the past you shouldn't be down $1,533 which is way beyond 15.33 units considering how many small bets you have. I'm not trying to be an ass and hope you don't take it that way, IF you were flat betting you would have saved yourself a ton of money.

Tokens
again, just trying to provide some info. An example (granted a good one) poster guil0000 is 90-96 (+7.77) yes, he plays dogs and he mostly flat bets, if he goes above his 'normal' wager it's a double.

Luck & Laters.

Tokens

I'm with ya. I respect the time that Cat puts into his write ups but it seems to me he's been right 50% of the time but has lost on a bad beat. The same excuse day after day gets old. Bullpens come into play 99% of the time yet he only looks at the starting pitching yet refuses to bet first 5. If I lose I was on the wrong side. Bad breaks and luck are part of every game. That's why it's called gambling...The fact that he thinks he was on the right side of an under on a game that finished 9-7 is high comedy.

Tokens
I'll address some of these posts later when I get home but for now, adding...

Ramirez vs Hudson OVER 9 - $15 for $15

Tokens
Hi,

I asked this of you in the past and the reason I'm asking again is this...never got a reply. Why don't you flat bet? You are sporting a .500 record which, counting your 'bad breaks' is still very good considering the number of plays you have. So, having a .500 record and looking for good lines like you have in the past you shouldn't be down $1,533 which is way beyond 15.33 units considering how many small bets you have. I'm not trying to be an ass and hope you don't take it that way, IF you were flat betting you would have saved yourself a ton of money.

he actually did answer this a while ago when it was asked. just fyi

Tokens
he actually did answer this a while ago when it was asked. just fyi

Yes lol, thank you for that skyla. But so nojuice doesn't have to go back and look, I'll give a brief explanation...

The reason I don't flat bet is simple: You can't treat every game in the same exact manner. Each game, of every single day during this six-month baseball season, has its own identity. To lump everything together... that just seems so ludicrous to me because I don't think it leads to long-term success, when you're treating every game in the same exact manner. If that's the case, how do you differentiate feel for a game as well as your vibe on one? What about those instances when there's a game you feel really strongly about, combined with one you don't feel as strong in but you want to bet it, and you split them, but make no money off those two games? That's a VERY demoralizing feeling and something that can easily snowball into the next day or two, if not more.

Would flat betting have helped with my +/- this season up to this point? Probably, as my current +/- would probably be improved from flat-betting. At the same time, though, my record might be a little different, as I would have a considerably different mindset when approaching a slate of games, if going into it, I knew every bet would be the same exact amount. I mean, I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on the issue of flat-betting, but considering I think mindset is the most important thing when it comes to gambling, flat betting is a variable that CAN affect someone's mindset, so it's something I don't divulge in.

Tokens
I'm with ya. I respect the time that Cat puts into his write ups but it seems to me he's been right 50% of the time but has lost on a bad beat. The same excuse day after day gets old. Bullpens come into play 99% of the time yet he only looks at the starting pitching yet refuses to bet first 5. If I lose I was on the wrong side. Bad breaks and luck are part of every game. That's why it's called gambling...The fact that he thinks he was on the right side of an under on a game that finished 9-7 is high comedy.

Okay, I don't disagree with everything you said. I'll start with the "9-7 is high comedy" line.

Please explain to me how I was wrong on that game, and how people who took the over were right on that game. Please, I'd love to know, because I'm baffled as to how I was wrong on the game, and I'd love to hear some sort of logical explanation concerning the manner. The matchup was Jonathan Sanchez vs JA Happ, and the line was over/under 8.5. Why do people take the over/under of a game? Because they have a strong feel for the PITCHING MATCHUP in either direction, NOT the bullpens. If there's anyone out there in the entire country that is able to pinpoint a bullpen collapse in any given game and/or what relievers would be the ones that blow it, obviously they have psychic powers.

In this example, I had a strong feel for both starting pitchers contributing a quality outing. Sanchez went six innings and gave up three earned runs. Is that a quality start? Absolutely, especially in a game where the under is as high as 8.5! Therefore, was I right concerning Sanchez? Yes, so I'm 1 for 1 as it pertains to that game. In addition, I had a feel for JA Happ giving me a strong outing. He went six innings, gave up four hits and only two runs. Is that a quality start? Of course it is, so that makes me 2 for 2. Given those statisitics, in a game where the line was as HIGH AS 8.5, I was 100-percent right, because you have to EXPECT the bullpen, especially GREAT ones like Kansas City's, will minimize any sort of damage. It was 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th inning... I was right. Those who had the over HAD NO CLUE they would win that over, because they weren't expecting a miracle comeback for the over, as they somehow scratched across five runs in the bottom of the 8th - off a very good reliever, as well. So, if you HAVE TO RELY ON A MIRACLE COMEBACK LIKE THAT... how does that mean over bettors were right? Exactly, they weren't, because if you have to rely on luck like that (If it's not luck, please tell me how many instances this year where a real good reliever like Louis Coleman was burned for five runs in an eighth inning? Almost none over three months? That's called luck), then you were wrong, as in an over/under, you shouldn't have to depend on a lucky break like getting that many runs in the eighth inning to win an over/under. That's not how it works, my friend. Maybe with regular moneyline bets that's acceptable, but I've been studying over/unders wayyyy too long to accept that as anything other than a fluke loss, just as people who had the over should accept it was a fluke win because they WEREN'T COUNTING ON A COLLAPSE LIKE THAT AT ALL.

Is that clear enough? Come onnn man, I don't want to argue with anyone over anything but if you don't pay attention to over/under bets, you can't just chalk up as "bad breaks happen" or "luck is part of the game" when it KEEPS HAPPENING. That's my point! These bad breaks or lucky instances were never this frequent!

Tokens
you was wrong cause you lost, that's why your gettin' crap. then to make it worse you come in the next day bitchin' about bad beats...they happen to everyone. It doesn't matter how kick ass you were last year, this year your down $1,533.

Tokens

And I only use that excuse when it's appropriate and correct. Did I use it in the other game I lost yesterday when I went 1-2? Nope, not at all. I was way off on that Garza vs Stewart under and was rightfully clocked with a loss.

Oh, and as for the game finishing 9-7... like I said, you actually have to watch the games to know whether you were right or wrong on a game. It was 4-2 in the bottom of the 8th after some quality pitching from both men... then Louis Coleman, with his shiny 3.10 ERA, gave up five runs in that bottom of the eighth, which messed up the whole complexion of the game. Brett Myers was warming up when it was 4-2, so when he came in with the game at 9-2, obviously he was going to give up a handful of runs, just as closers do 75-percent of the time when they start warming up for a save situation, only to lax up as they enter into what had suddenly become a blow out.

Everything else you said, though, I agree. Bad luck is part of the game and that's why they call it gambling. I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way, I agree with you. I'm not retarded, I'm a college graduate who has been as big a baseball fan as anyone else in the country over 22 of my 26 years on this earth, which explains my love and knowledge of virtually every starting pitcher in the game. BUT, when you had the success that I had last year, and you suddenly don't even come close to it because this bad luck - which I didn't come close to experience last year so frequently - keeps happening over and over and over, it's just so frustrating, man. I had serious ambitions to surpass my wonderful year last year, and honestly, with all these legit flukes that keep happening to me, I haven't even had a chance, despite using the same exact technique I've used over the past few years. It's just so incredibly frustrating and I apologize if I come off as a whiny you-know-what.

Tokens
You act like bad breaks only happen on over Unders. "Bad breaks" happen on money lines, run lines, point spreads totals in every single sport every single night. It's gambling. We can agree to disagree. If I win a bet I was on the right side. If I lose a bet I was on the wrong side. And a game where the total ends up double what Vegas saw it as, I'm sure as hell not thinking I was on the right side of the bet....I guess my point is it gets old hearing about bad beats every single day. You clearly put a lot of time into these write ups and base everything on starting pitching. Start betting the first five and you take the bullpen out of play. Bullpens sucking this year is clearly the norm. It has to be factored in over a nine inning game.

Tokens
You act like bad breaks only happen on over Unders. "Bad breaks" happen on money lines, run lines, point spreads totals in every single sport every single night. It's gambling. We can agree to disagree. If I win a bet I was on the right side. If I lose a bet I was on the wrong side. And a game where the total ends up double what Vegas saw it as, I'm sure as hell not thinking I was on the right side of the bet....I guess my point is it gets old hearing about bad beats every single day. You clearly put a lot of time into these write ups and base everything on starting pitching. Start betting the first five and you take the bullpen out of play. Bullpens sucking this year is clearly the norm. It has to be factored in over a nine inning game.

You're a nice intelligent guy, as am I, so that's all we can do in this instance: Agree to disagree.

I respectfully disagree with your notion that "If I win a bet, I was on the right side. If I lose a bet, I was on the wrong side." Here's my favorite proof: I brought up an example a couple of weeks ago from 2010 in an under 9 I had in a Barry Zito start that saw the Rockies play the Giants in Colorado. Like I said, I had the under 9, and it was 1-1 going into extra innings. The final score ended up being 6-4, thanks to a Ryan Spilborghs walk-off grand slam, but that is just one of many instances where you cannot possibly tell me that I was on the "wrong side" despite losing the bet? If a game is 1-1 going into extra innings, and you have under 9, you are automatically right no matter what the outcome is, but I guess that's just my opinion. I respectfully am baffled as to how someone can see it any other way in examples such as those, but again, it all comes down to opinions I guess.

If there's one thing I have to start understanding in 2012, it is, as you said it very well, "Bullpens sucking is clearly the norm." I take 100-percent responsibility for not adjusting my MLB Over/Unders routine and technique, because bullpens have never been this bad. Not even close, so you have to please understand looking at this from my perspective: This is a routine and technique that I worked on ever since I got into this in 2009 - as you have noticed, I have a genuine passion for it, and it's something I thought I had mastered after what I did last year. Bullpens are ruining it for me to the point that if I have to change up my routine that worked so well for me (Mostly last year. I wasn't outstanding 2010 and 2009, only magical 2011), it's seemingly throwing me off the wagon, which it makes it difficult to get into a groove. I'm going to have to take them more into account

Tokens
And I'll save you all the trouble of complaining about tonight's best bet loss... but please, please, please understand how frustrating it is - I'm not trying to complain here, just writing some of my thoughts.

No. 1, how many losses is that now where I have lost by a HALF RUN or ONE RUN this year? Come onnnn, you people on 5 Dimes have to appreciate how good you have it when you're able to buy a half run or full run, as I know it would have saved me A LOT of money and losses this year. When you keep coming so close on a regular basis, only to lose it because of the bullpens (7 runs in the last 4 innings), it just gets to you, man. It was 2-0 in the 6th inning. I don't know any other way of putting it.

No. 2, while Kevin Correia gave me five-plus SHUTOUT innings, Scott Diamond was not as good in 5.1 innings in allowing four runs. Normally, in years' past, when the line is as high as 8.5, and the starters only give up a combined four runs, you'd win almost all of the time.

But you know what - it's 2012 and this has been like no other year in terms of relief pitching. Looks like I just need to be more cautious of these bullpens (Although who could predict that Juan Cruz and his ERA less than 2 would give up two runs in the 7th? That's a bit rough, as he's been one of the more dependable late-inning NL relievers this year)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steelreign
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com