2012 NFL Draft PostSeason Grades

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Regrading the 2012 NFL draft[/h][h=3]Few drafts 'improved' more than Seattle's, but many look different today[/h]By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider
in.gif

How can I hand out grades immediately after the NFL draft? Why not? I just have to be clear on context. I simply use my player evaluations at the time to gauge how well teams maximized value at each draft slot and addressed personnel needs. This is what we ended up with last April. But if I'm going to hand out grades then, something many could consider unfair, it's only right that we all take a look back to see how I did and hand out some new grades now that we have some results to evaluate.

So let's do that, and keep me accountable. Overall, there were a number of rookies who proved more valuable than I imagined at the time -- check out the Seahawks -- but there are also many grades that still look pretty reasonable today. And obviously, there's still so much to find out, because so many players are just getting started. In April, we lined this up best grades to worst, but for this one, it's organized by division.

[h=3]AFC East[/h]​

<!--TEAM HEADER-->

buf.gif

[h=3]Buffalo Bills[/h]
<!--END TEAM HEADER -->
<!-- START RIGHT INLINE -->
RoundPickPositionPlayerCollege
(1)10CBStephon GilmoreSouth Carolina
(2)41GCordy GlennGeorgia
(3)69WRT.J. GrahamNorth Carolina State
(4)105LBNigel BradhamFlorida State
(4)124CBRon BrooksLSU
(5)144TZebrie SandersFlorida State
(5)147LBTank CarderTCU
(6)178GMark AsperOregon
(7)251KJohn PotterWestern Michigan

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B-[/h]
Summary: Buffalo fans might view this re-assessment as a little harsh. From a fan's standpoint, you can say the team landed starters at a few spots, which ostensibly means they drafted well. The flip side is you have to consider if those players are starting on a better team. Take second-round pick Cordy Glenn, for example. I really liked Glenn, and he was a regular on my Big Board last year, but I had questions about whether he could be an effective left tackle due to a lack of quickness. Well, he started there for Buffalo this season and held up reasonably well against low expectations, but the tape shows a player that wasn't among the top 20-25 left tackles in the NFL. Should he remain there? We still need to find out. But he wouldn't start there for most teams. Nigel Bradham also became a starter at linebacker, but that's a weakness for Buffalo, a team that couldn't stop anybody from running. T.J. Graham came on a little late in the season and could be a good player for the offense. Stephon Gilmore could be a good one, but he had major trouble with penalties. No obvious sleepers here. The grade stays basically the same as we hope this class shows more.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->
[h=3]New grade: C+[/h]

<offer><!-- begin inline 1 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
mia.gif

[h=3]Miami Dolphins[/h]
<!--END TEAM HEADER --><!-- START RIGHT INLINE -->
(1)8QBRyan TannehillTexas A&M
(2)42TJonathan MartinStanford
(3)72DEOlivier VernonMiami (FL)
(3)78TEMichael EgnewMissouri
(4)97RBLamar MillerMiami (FL)
(5)155LBJosh KadduOregon
(6)183WRB.J. CunninghamMichigan State
(7)215DTKheeston RandallTexas
(7)227WRRishard MatthewsNevada

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C[/h] Summary: The Dolphins' draft looks better today. Ryan Tannehill was a value question for me at the No. 8 spot, but Miami didn't want to mess around with trading down and hoping he was still there, so the Dolphins stuck with a plan and got the guy they wanted. They also created what should have been one of the smoother system transitions in recent memory by hiring Tannehill's college coach (Mike Sherman) to call plays. Tannehill had some highs, and he clearly showed why we consider him a high-ceiling talent, but on the aggregate he was a roller-coaster -- up one week, playing poorly the next. Maturity, experience and some weapons could mean a much better 2013. Jonathan Martin settled in on the right side and played pretty well, and Olivier Vernon might someday take over for the great Cameron Wake. Rishard Matthews might also be a late developmental value after seeing the field the last few games of the season. This could be a good draft, but it's all about whether Tannehill can take the next step. I think he can.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: B-[/h]

<!-- end inline 1 --><!-- begin inline 2 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
nwe.gif

[h=3]New England Patriots[/h]
(1)21DEChandler JonesSyracuse
(1)25LBDont'a HightowerAlabama
(2)48STavon Wilson Illinois
(3)90DEJake BequetteArkansas
(6)197CBNate EbnerOhio State
(7)224CBAlfonzo DennardNebraska
(7)235WRJeremy Ebert Northwestern

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B-[/h] Summary: There were a couple of players I had on my Big Board for most of 2011 who fell dramatically in the draft. Vontaze Burfict wasn't drafted at all after making a mess of the evaluation process, and Alfonzo Dennard fell to No. 225 overall based on some off-the-field issues. Burfict was Cincinnati's best LB, and Dennard played as well as any player in the New England secondary toward the end of the season. I loved the way the Patriots hit their needs in this draft, with both first-round picks Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower playing key roles all season. That's notable because the Patriots made significant strides on defense even as they failed to meet their lofty goals. Adding three starters to a Super Bowl contender via the draft pushes the grade up for me, even as the Tavon Wilson selection in Round 2 was maybe the biggest value question in the entire draft for me. A good draft overall.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: B+[/h]

<!-- end inline 2 --><!-- begin inline 3 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
nyj.gif

[h=3]New York Jets[/h]
(1)16DEQuinton CoplesNorth Carolina
(2)43WRStephen HillGeorgia Tech
(3)77LBDeMario DavisArkansas State
(6)187SJosh BushWake Forest
(6)202RBTerrance GanawayBaylor
(6)203GRobert GriffinBaylor
(7)242SAntonio AllenSouth Carolina
(7)244WRJordan WhiteWestern Michigan

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C[/h] Summary: Both of the first two picks for the Jets raised questions, not because they took players that didn't have value at the pick position, but because I wasn't sure if they added players who would help the team make strides in 2012. I had pegged Quinton Coples as a better fit as a 4-3 defensive end, and the Jets took him with the goal of moving him inside. Hill has big-time athletic skills, but he needed a lot of refinement as a route-runner and pass-catcher coming out of a running offense at Georgia Tech. Coples made the adjustment and played really well toward the end of the season, and he could be really good. Hill struggled and was particularly inconsistent in simply bringing the ball in. DeMario Davis and Josh Bush both saw the field, but the Jets failed to get much immediate return beyond the growth of Coples. Hopefully Hill develops into the playmaker the Jets envisioned. But the immediate return here was pretty underwhelming.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: C[/h]

<!-- end inline 3 -->
[h=3]AFC North[/h]​
<!-- begin inline 4 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
cin.gif

[h=3]Cincinnati Bengals[/h]
(1)17CBDre KirkpatrickAlabama
(1)27GKevin ZeitlerWisconsin
(2)53DTDevon StillPenn State
(3)83WRMohamed SanuRutgers
(3)93DTBrandon ThompsonClemson
(4)116TEOrson CharlesGeorgia
(5)156CBShaun PraterIowa
(5)166WRMarvin JonesCalifornia
(5)167SGeorge IlokaBoise State
(6)191RBDan HerronOhio State

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: A-[/h] Summary: Before you start slamming me in the comments for a slightly lowered grade, know that by official decree of the Grading Ground Rules Committee, I can't include the best single rookie acquisition the Bengals made: when they signed Burfict as an undrafted free agent. Burfict was a Big Board regular last season and piled up 127 tackles, the most on the Bengals and good for 15th in the NFL. As for the draft, in April I wrote, "The Bengals didn't hit any home runs in value, but as we sat on the set we'd nod to each other with every pick. ... They just crossed off needs, one pick after another." Dre Kirkpatrick was slowed by injuries and still has work to do to become a full-time starter, but he should get there. Kevin Zeitler turned out to be a great pick, playing guard at a Pro Bowl level. Orson Charles is a keeper as depth at tight end, while Marvin Jones and Mohamed Sanu combined for 34 catches, and one should be the Week 1 starter in 2013. Not a stellar draft in terms of immediate value, but with Zeitler, a pretty good one. And Burfict would still be considered a steal as a UFA if this is as good as he gets, but he has a chance to do much more given his talent and instincts for the position.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: B[/h]

<!-- end inline 4 --><!-- begin inline 5 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
cle.gif

[h=3]Cleveland Browns[/h]
(1)3RBTrent RichardsonAlabama
(1)22QBBrandon WeedenOklahoma State
(2)37TMitchell SchwartzCalifornia
(3)87DTJohn HughesCincinnati
(4)100WRTravis BenjaminMiami (FL)
(4)120LBJames-Michael JohnsonNevada
(5)160GRyan MillerColorado
(6)204LBEmmanuel AchoTexas
(6)205DTBilly WinnBoise State
(7)245CBTrevin WadeArizona
(7)247TE Brad SmelleyAlabama

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B-[/h] Summary: The Browns had question marks about value, but they did a really good job of hitting needs. They got the running back they really wanted, but when you take Trent Richardson at No. 3 overall, you're banking on stardom. At his best, Richardson has that upside, but he dealt with injuries all season and, in the short run, you could say others got more value at running back farther down the board. Brandon Weeden wasn't bad, but there are legitimate questions about whether the new administration wants him to be the 2013 starter. Mitchell Schwartz filled in well at right tackle, and you have to factor in that perhaps the best rookie for the Browns was Josh Gordon, whom they grabbed in the supplemental draft in Round 2. Where you saw really good value was with the additions of John Hughes and Billy Winn on the defensive line. The Cleveland defense regressed in 2012, but both look like keepers and good rotation players up front. I think when you factor in Gordon for the 2012 haul, this grade actually jumps a bit. But this draft will still be defined by whether Richardson can reach his full potential and if Weeden actually remains the starter and also makes major strides. Both of those are big questions.

<!-- end inline 5 --><!-- begin inline 6 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
bal.gif

[h=3]Baltimore Ravens[/h]
(2)35LBCourtney UpshawAlabama
(2)60TKelechi OsemeleIowa State
(3)84RBBernard PierceTemple
(4)98GGino GradkowskiDelaware
(4)130SChristian ThompsonSouth Carolina State
(5)169CBAsa JacksonCal Poly
(6)198WRTommy StreeterMiami (FL)
(7)236DEDeangelo Tyson Georgia

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h] Summary: Few teams have extracted more value lower on the draft board in recent years than the Ravens. Once again, even without major holes to fill, they found immediate and future starters commensurate with a team that was drafting early in Round 1, and yet they didn't even have a pick until No. 35 overall. Courtney Upshaw was as advertised, a capable edge-setter in the 3-4 scheme, a guy who won't wow anybody as a pass-rusher, but that's not what he's asked to do. He'll be a longtime fixture in Baltimore. Kelechi Osemele moved inside to left guard and should remain there as the starter for years to come. Gino Gradkowski will ultimately be the starter at center, and Bernard Pierce did more than spell Ray Rice, he showed that he can pile up big numbers if Rice is out. When you get immediate starts and ultimately four certain starters out of a draft where you didn't pick early, you've done really well. And remember, these are guys contributing to a team playing in the final game of the season. Another value-filled draft for Ozzie Newsome and Eric DeCosta.

<!-- end inline 6 --><!-- begin inline 7 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
pit.gif

[h=3]Pittsburgh Steelers[/h]
(1)24GDavid DeCastroStanford
(2)56TMike AdamsOhio State
(3)86LBSean SpenceMiami (FL)
(4)109NTAlameda Ta'amuWashington
(5)159RBChris RaineyFlorida
(7)231WRToney ClemonsColorado
(7)240TEDavid PaulsonOregon
(7)246CBTerrence FrederickTexas A&M
(7)248TKelvin BeachumSouthern Methodist

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h] Summary: The Steelers ran into some bad luck when guard David DeCastro was lost for the bulk of the season with a knee injury he sustained in the preseason. After that, the results were mixed. Mike Adams was a decent value on my board as a Round 2 selection, and managed to make six starts, but he only had two really good games, and the jury is still out. Chris Rainey contributed to the offense in spots, but he was cut just after the season due to an off-the-field issue (something that was also a problem for him at Florida). Same story with Alameda Ta'amu, who was let go during the season. David Paulson can provide depth at tight end, but this draft will really come to whether DeCastro can fulfill his immense potential as the best available guard in the draft. If he does, the grade goes up, but in the short term (with bad luck noted), this draft hasn't provided much for the Steelers compared to other teams.

<!-- end inline 7 -->
[h=3]AFC South[/h]​
<!-- begin inline 8 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
hou.gif

[h=3]Houston Texans[/h]
(1)26DEWhitney MercilusIllinois
(3)68WRDeVier PoseyOhio State
(3)76GBrandon BrooksMiami (OH)
(4)99CBen JonesGeorgia
(4)121WRKeshawn MartinMichigan State
(4)126DTJared CrickNebraska
(5)161KRandy BullockTexas A&M
(6)195TNick MondekPurdue

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h] Summary: Each of the first six players drafted by the Texans managed to contribute in at least some form in 2012, something you can't overlook for a team that went 12-4 and didn't need major personnel additions to get there. Whitney Mercilus proved to be a pretty good value at No. 26 overall, picked up 6.0 sacks and has a chance to emerge as a starter in 2013. DeVier Posey had to shake off some rust, but could become a bigger part of the offense next year. Keshawn Martin provided immediate help in the return game, though how he develops as a wide receiver remains a question. Ben Jones is already starting, and Brandon Brooks figures to in the future, both on the interior of the offensive line. Even Jared Crick, once a big-time prospect who dropped due to injury concerns, found his way into the rotation along the defensive line. We can't say there's a certain star anywhere in this draft, but the Texans added some immediate help and depth to what was already a pretty solid roster. If one of the wide receivers becomes something more, the draft will look better in the years to come.

<!-- end inline 8 --><!-- begin inline 9 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
ind.gif

[h=3]Indianapolis Colts[/h]
(1)1QBAndrew LuckStanford
(2)34TECoby FleenerStanford
(3)64TEDwayne AllenClemson
(3)92WRT.Y. HiltonFlorida International
(5)136DTJosh ChapmanAlabama
(5)170RBVick BallardMississippi State
(6)206WRLaVon BrazillOhio
(7)208TJustin AndersonGeorgia
(7)214LBTim FuggerVanderbilt
(7)253QBChandler HarnishNorthern Illinois

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: A-[/h] Summary: At the time I noted all the offensive additions beyond the No. 1 pick and asked, "Think the Colts were concerned about building a supporting cast for Andrew Luck?" That was obvious, but this point (not mine) also proved smart: "Colleague Trent Dilfer noted that getting all these pass-catching pieces now is a good way to develop early chemistry and give Luck a chance to succeed earlier than we suspected given the state of the lineup going into the draft." I don't know if Luck proved very good earlier than we expected -- he had the second-highest grade I've ever given a quarterback in 34 years -- but it was certainly true that he found some chemistry with all the rookie offensive additions. T.Y. Hilton, Coby Fleener, Dwayne Allen and even LaVon Brazill played significant roles in the passing game, and Vick Ballard proved he's a capable starter at running back, as he eventually piled up 814 yards rushing on 211 carries despite a minimal role early in the season. The draft could be even better if Josh Chapman can contribute at defensive tackle, after he was taken coming off an injury and with the knowledge he wouldn't do much in 2012. Overall, even with just Luck as your reward, the draft looks great. But factor in all the rookie contributions and the historic leap in performance for a team that was 2-14 in 2011, and you have an incredibly successful weekend to look back on.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: A[/h]

<!-- end inline 9 --><!-- begin inline 10 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
jac.gif

[h=3]Jacksonville Jaguars[/h]
(1)5WRJustin BlackmonOklahoma State
(2)38DEAndre BranchClemson
(3)70PBryan AngerCalifornia
(5)142LBBrandon MarshallNevada
(6)176CBMike HarrisFlorida State
(7)228DTJeris PendletonAshland

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C[/h] Summary: Say this for the Jags: They deservedly took more heat for a single pick than any team in the draft when they took punter Bryan Anger out of Cal in the third round. But at least Anger punted well, averaging a very good 47.8 yards per punt. Regardless, until the QB situation becomes a positive in Jacksonville, the fact that Russell Wilson was taken by Seattle five picks later will be an ongoing punch line. That said, I can't revise history and say I was banging the desk calling for them to take Wilson. Jacksonville needed to upgrade its pass-catching situation first and then find some help in the pass rush. Justin Blackmon got off to a slow start, but the No. 5 overall pick finished the year leading all rookies in both catches (64) and receiving yards (865), and did that without any sparkling play at QB. Andre Branch was a player I thought could provide a little more impact than he did, but the jury is still out on what he'll become. Mike Harris saw some time at corner, but at this point the draft really is just about Blackmon. It's hard to give bonus points to a punter as a good pick when he was taken at a spot where there was plenty of value at key positions for a roster that was in need of help.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: C+[/h]

<!-- end inline 10 --><!-- begin inline 11 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
ten.gif

[h=3]Tennessee Titans[/h]
(1)20WRKendall WrightBaylor
(2)52LBZach BrownUNC
(3)82DTMike MartinMichigan
(4)115CBCoty SensabaughClemson
(5)145TETaylor ThompsonSMU
(6)190SMarkelle MartinOklahoma State
(7)211DEScott SolomonRice

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: The Titans took care of what I considered their top need going into the draft when they took Kendall Wright out of Baylor at No. 20 overall. Wright didn't show off the upside of a star, but he did rack up 64 catches and contributed to a passing game that got extremely uneven quarterback play. I thought defensive end was a big need for the Titans, but the first defensive end they drafted was Taylor Thompson out of SMU, the caveat being that Thompson had converted to tight end. He did see some reps in that role, but there's plenty of development left. Zach Brown was a solid if unspectacular linebacker who ended up starting 12 games for the Titans. He figures to hold down the starting role heading into 2013. Mike Martin did a pretty good job as a rotational defensive tackle, and showed an ability to penetrate and aid the pass rush. This draft created some early roster help, but after a season looks light on upside. Better QB play might be the difference, as Wright still has a chance to be a major contributor at wide receiver as he develops.

<!-- end inline 11 -->
[h=3]AFC West[/h]​

<!-- begin inline 12 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
den.gif

[h=3]Denver Broncos[/h]
(2)36DTDerek WolfeCincinnati
(2)57QBBrock Osweiler Arizona State
(3)67RBRonnie HillmanSan Diego State
(4)101CBOmar BoldenArizona State
(4)108CPhilip BlakeBaylor
(5)137DEMalik JacksonTennessee
(6)188LBDanny TrevathanKentucky

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: Fans of other teams might see the Broncos' grade go up and question it based on the total contribution, but you have to consider both what they added without an early pick and the fact that they made meaningful draft additions to a team that lacked significant holes. The Broncos landed one of my favorite players in the draft at No. 36 overall when they took Derek Wolfe. Their decision to move Wolfe from defensive tackle, where he was simply dominant at Cincinnati, to defensive end, where he's developed into a good pass-rusher (6.0 sacks) and a player who doesn't cheat and adds value as a run defender, looks brilliant now. They also drafted Ronnie Hillman in the third round, and he proved a helpful addition to their running back rotation. It's hard to knock the selection of Brock Osweiler as a high-ceiling QB prospect and an apprentice to Peyton Manning, and Danny Trevathan could turn into a steal as a linebacker they took at No. 188 overall. Pretty good strategy and value for a team that could have been in the Super Bowl if it hadn't had some major miscues late in its divisional round playoff game.

<!-- end inline 12 --><!-- begin inline 13 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
sdg.gif

[h=3]San Diego Chargers[/h]
(1)18LBMelvin IngramSouth Carolina
(2)49DTKendall ReyesConnecticut
(3)73SBrandon TaylorLSU
(4)110TELadarius GreenLouisiana-Lafayette
(5)149GJohnnie TroutmanPenn State
(7)226CDavid MolkMichigan
(7)250RBEdwin BakerMichigan State

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B+[/h] Summary: The season was a disappointment, but I think the top of the draft should turn out pretty well for the Chargers. Melvin Ingram was a guy I thought the Jets might take at No. 16 overall, but the Chargers got him at No. 18 with the goal of converting him from defensive end to outside linebacker. On many teams he would have paid earlier dividends, but the depth chart in San Diego is pretty decent at that position, and Ingram finished the season as an emerging depth addition. The big value in the draft may end up being Kendall Reyes, a guy I considered the most athletic defensive tackle on the board. Later in the season, he started to play a bigger role, and he started to show off his knack for creating havoc on the interior. In Week 16, he racked up 3.5 sacks against the Jets. He could play a much bigger role in 2013. After that, we have to see. Brandon Taylor could become a starter, but beyond Reyes, there are no guarantees.

<!-- end inline 13 --><!-- begin inline 14 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
oak.gif

[h=3]Oakland Raiders[/h]
(3)95GTony BergstromUtah
(4)129LBMiles BurrisSan Diego State
(5)158DEJack CrawfordPenn State
(5)168WRJuron CrinerArizona
(6)189DTChris BilukidiGeorgia State
(7)230LBNathan StuparPenn State

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C-[/h] Summary: The Raiders didn't go into the draft with high expectations, so it's not like they needed to be granted a mulligan if they couldn't find much impact. But even then, I'm not sure they managed to find an above-average regular. Oakland's first pick wasn't until No. 95 overall, and in Tony Bergstrom the Raiders got a player who can back up at either tackle or guard. The best value they found was in linebacker Miles Burris, their fourth-round pick out of San Diego State. Burris can play, and was thrust into a significant role early, finishing the season with 14 starts. He made some plays, but Burris isn't a guy who would start for almost any other team right now. The Raiders were just that thin at the position. Juron Criner has some potential, but questions remain. The Raiders' best rookie was Rod Streater, an undrafted free agent who provided some significant help at wide receiver, but he doesn't factor in here because he wasn't drafted (see: Burfict, Vontaze).
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: D+[/h]

<!-- end inline 14 --><!-- begin inline 15 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
kan.gif

[h=3]Kansas City Chiefs[/h]
(1)11NTDontari PoeMemphis
(2)44TJeff AllenIllinois
(3)74TDonald StephensonOklahoma
(4)107WRDevon WylieFresno State
(5)146CBDe'Quan MenzieAlabama
(6)182RBCyrus GrayTexas A&M
(7)218DTJerome LongSan Diego State
(7)238WRJunior HemingwayMichigan

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: The Chiefs took one of the more significant calculated risks in the draft. At No. 11, they took defensive tackle Dontari Poe, a player out of Memphis who was the darling of the draft evaluation process due to his remarkable combination of size and athleticism. The problem with Poe was that when you rolled the tape, you simply didn't see a dominant player; that's a worry when the guy is playing for Memphis and not facing great competition week to week. Poe is now the starter, graded out so-so as a rookie and still has plenty of upside. But time will tell. Where the Chiefs probably got the most value was with the selection of Jeff Allen in Round 2. A tackle at Illinois, Allen was up and down as he converted to guard, but he should develop into a pretty good one. Beyond that, there's very little in terms of early impact. Donald Stephenson could develop at tackle, and Devon Wylie might be a good one in the return game. But for a team that struggled this much, you hoped to see more from the rookie class.

<!-- end inline 15 -->
[h=3]NFC East[/h]​
<!-- begin inline 16 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
nyg.gif

[h=3]New York Giants[/h]
(1)32RBDavid WilsonVirginia Tech
(2)63WRRueben RandleLSU
(3)94CBJayron HosleyVirginia Tech
(4)127TEAdrien RobinsonCincinnati
(4)131TBrandon MosleyAuburn
(6)201TMatt McCantsUAB
(7)239DTMarkus KuhnNorth Carolina State

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: In my grades after the draft I wrote, "I had running back as the top need for the Giants, and they got one with their first pick. David Wilson should be productive, but I think they really would have preferred Doug Martin. I might have gone with an O-lineman there, but the Giants have capably kept things patched up for a couple years, and will have to continue to do so, because they didn't get a tackle until the fourth round." Well, I think it's still fair to say they might have preferred Martin, who had a huge season for the Bucs. And while the O-line was a question, in typical fashion, the coaching staff kept it patched together. So, was Wilson the best pick? Despite too much time spent in the Tom Coughlin doghouse, I think he'll prove to be a good one if healthy. He's electrifying in the return game, and given the reps in the run game, I think he'll make his mark. Rueben Randle we knew was a high-upside project in Round 2, and that's what he looked like as a rookie. The real find could be third-rounder Jayron Hosley, who led college football in INTs as a sophomore, struggled as a junior and saw his stock fall. Well, he came on down the stretch and could be a starter in 2013. There's a ton of projection left in this draft, but we may look back in a couple years and say it looks a lot better than it does today.

<!-- end inline 16 --><!-- begin inline 17 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
phi.gif

[h=3]Philadelphia Eagles[/h]
(1)12DTFletcher CoxMississippi State
(2)46LBMychal KendricksCalifornia
(2)59DEVinny CurryMarshall
(3)88QBNick FolesArizona
(4)123CBBrandon BoykinGeorgia
(5)153TDennis KellyPurdue
(6)194WRMarvin McNuttIowa
(6)200GBrandon WashingtonMiami (FL)
(7)229RBBryce Brown Kansas State

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: A[/h] Summary: The season went off the rails, but the Eagles got a lot of value out of the rookie class and should have high hopes for a number of players heading into the future. Fletcher Cox finished the season as a terror on the defensive line and is a lock to start at defensive tackle in 2013. But he needs to show more consistency. Mychal Kendricks was an immediate starter at linebacker and a good get at No. 46. If the Eagles didn't trade for DeMeco Ryans, it would have been Kendricks as the head-and-shoulders best linebacker on the roster. This season was essentially a redshirt year for Vinny Curry, who was inactive for most of the year. I noted during the draft that I thought that Brandon Boykin was a steal at No. 123 overall because he could be an early starter, and Boykin was giving Philly the best play among any of its corners by the end of the season. Bryce Brown we know is a steal, a low-mileage pickup in Round 7 who proved he can start in this league if needed. And I haven't even mentioned Nick Foles. Hey, we don't know if Foles will be the starter under Chip Kelly, but would you rather have, say, Brandon Weeden or Brock Osweiler based on what you've seen from Foles? Even as a good backup, he proved to have decent value. The big knock on this draft is the question of whether all these rookies see this much time for a better team. That's the main reason the grade dips.

<!-- end inline 17 --><!-- begin inline 18 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
dal.gif

[h=3]Dallas Cowboys[/h]
(1)6CBMorris ClaiborneLSU
(3)81DETyrone CrawfordBoise State
(4)113LBKyle WilberWake Forest
(4)135SMatt JohnsonEastern Washington
(5)152WRDanny Coale Virginia Tech
(6)186TEJames HannaOklahoma
(7)222LBCaleb McSurdyMontana

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: Despite getting a very good player in Morris Claiborne, this draft looks worse after a full season. You can't just say the trade up to get Claiborne at No. 6 was a brilliant move, because that's analyzing the pick in a vacuum. In terms of overall value, the Cowboys got Claiborne at the cost of a valuable second-round pick. So while the fact that Claiborne is a good one is a credit to Dallas, he also came at the cost of a pick that would likely turn into a starter. (Dallas has landed Bruce Carter, Sean Lee and Anthony Fasano in Round 2 in recent years.) And beyond Claiborne, there isn't much here. Tyrone Crawford looks like a depth addition, and Kyle Wilber isn't a future starter. The one guy you might point to is James Hannah, who caught 8 passes and showed some upside down the stretch. But overall, the draft is about Claiborne, a very good player, but one who came at a cost. I just can't say there's anything here of significance beyond that selection.

<!-- end inline 18 --><!-- begin inline 19 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
was.gif

[h=3]Washington Redskins[/h]
(1)2QBRobert Griffin IIIBaylor
(3)71GJosh LeRibeusSMU
(4)102QBKirk CousinsMichigan State
(4)119LBKeenan RobinsonTexas
(5)141GAdam GettisIowa
(6)173RBAlfred MorrisFlorida Atlantic
(6)193TTom ComptonSouth Dakota
(7)213CBRichard CrawfordSMU
(7)217CBJordan BernstineIowa

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: The season Robert Griffin III put together might be seem like reason enough to push that C+ to an A. But I think Redskins fans who really understand the draft will have a more realistic view of this. In fact, I feel just as I did when the draft concluded. At that time I wrote, "If you feel like the grade is a tough one, remember I have to factor in the extraordinary value given up to acquire Robert Griffin III. I've looked, and it's as much as we've ever seen dealt for a top-5 pick. I think RG III will be a very good player, and I think he can be pretty good right out of the gate, but he's this draft for Washington, and he came at the cost of [likely] three future starters." RG III was better than very good -- he was exceptional. But Washington gave up an extraordinary amount of draft value to land him. When you factor in his injury to finish the season, and the fact that Mike Shanahan will need to take a hard look at how his young star is used as a runner, it puts a damper on the overall evaluation. Even with the value given up for RG III, the draft should still get high marks for the pick of Kirk Cousins, a player who proved his value with a big regular-season win. And Alfred Morris turned into maybe the steal of the draft, rushing for 1,613 yards and 11 TDs. There isn't much beyond that, though Keenan Robinson could develop into a starter. Overall, a very good draft, but one that will be defined by how good RG III will be when he comes back from this setback, because he came at a price that will be evident in April both this year and next.

<!-- end inline 19 -->
[h=3]NFC North[/h]​
<!-- begin inline 20 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
gnb.gif

[h=3]Green Bay Packers[/h]
(1)28DENick PerryUSC
(2)51DTJerel Worthy Michigan State
(2)62CBCasey Hayward Vanderbilt
(4)132DTMike DanielsIowa
(4)133SJeron McMillianMaine
(5)163LBTerrell ManningNorth Carolina State
(7)241 TAndrew DatkoFlorida State
(7)243QBB.J. ColemanChattanooga

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h] Summary: Defense was the big push for the Packers after a season when the lack of a pass rush left them far too vulnerable and was ultimately their undoing. Nick Perry had flashes and saw a few starts, but still needs a lot of development. Same for Jerel Worthy, who was a really hot-and-cold player at Michigan State and didn't always play up to his talent level. If he comes back healthy, he projects as a capable starter and a guy who can be disruptive on the interior. Where the Packers really hit a home run was at the end of Round 2 when they landed Casey Hayward, who wasn't just a great rookie corner, but one of the best corners in the NFL in 2012, period. I saw Hayward as a guy who would really show his value as a slot corner, but he can be more than that and is already a player opposing QBs need to avoid. Mike Daniels is a good rotation player along the defensive line, and Jerron McMillian proved that he can become a starter at free safety. Where the Packers won't get credit here is for the addition of Dezman Moses as an undrafted free agent. He might be the best pass-rusher they added in 2012. A good draft overall, highlighted by Hayward, but also one dependent on plenty of development for the first two picks.

<!-- end inline 20 --><!-- begin inline 21 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
min.gif

[h=3]Minnesota Vikings[/h]
(1)4TMatt KalilUSC
(1)29SHarrison SmithNotre Dame
(3)66CBJosh RobinsonCentral Florida
(4)118WRJarius WrightArkansas
(4)128FBRhett EllisonUSC
(4)134WRGreg ChildsArkansas
(5)139CBRobert BlantonNotre Dame
(6)175 KBlair WalshGeorgia
(7)210LBAudie ColeNorth Carolina State
(7)219 DTTrevor GuytonCalifornia

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h] Summary: After the draft I wrote, "The Vikings did pretty well. They got the left tackle they coveted in Matt Kalil, and they moved up to get a safety. Both Kalil and Harrison Smith, their two first-round picks, should be starting in Week 1. Josh Robinson adds speed, if not a lot of polish, at corner, and has the chance to develop into a good player." I'd say that sums up how I feel today, but the grade has to go up based on performance. Kalil not only started 16 games at left tackle, played well at a significant position and if his run-blocking catches up with his pass-blocking, he'll become among the league's best. Smith became exactly what the Vikings had hoped, started all 16 games at free safety and should be there for years to come. The instincts he showed at Notre Dame were on display, and he'll continue to get better. Robinson is raw, but could ultimately take over for Antoine Winfield. And don't overlook one of the steals of the draft. Blair Walsh was taken at No. 175 overall, and was the best kicker in the league in 2012. A year later, a pretty good draft looks even better.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: A-[/h]

<!-- end inline 21 --><!-- begin inline 22 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
chi.gif

[h=3]Chicago Bears[/h]
(1)19DEShea McClellinBoise State
(2)45WRAlshon JefferySouth Carolina
(3)79SBrandon HardinOregon State
(4)111FBEvan RodriguezTemple
(6)184CBIsaiah FreyNevada
(7)220CBGreg McCoyTCU

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: The Bears targeted needs at defensive end and wide receiver, and Shea McClellin had his moments, as did Alshon Jeffery when healthy. But questions I had about them exist today. I don't know if McClellin has the explosiveness to be an upper-crust pass-rusher at the NFL level, and while Jeffery can be a physical matchup problem, questions about his speed, ability to separate and take the top off the defense as a deep threat remain. Evan Rodriguez was a nice conversion -- he was a tight end at Temple, but the Bears used him as a fullback, and I can see his role expanding. But that's really it for the draft. Rodriguez is the only player taken you can feel confident will be listed as a starter on the Week 1 depth chart for 2013, so hopefully McClellin and Jeffery can continue to grow into bigger roles. The biggest question I had then was the fact that Chicago didn't take a single offensive lineman -- it was the top need I had listed -- and that's still a big question mark as the Bears head into another offseason.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: C-[/h]

<!-- end inline 22 --><!-- begin inline 23 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
det.gif

[h=3]Detroit Lions[/h]
(1)23TRiley ReiffIowa
(2)54WRRyan BroylesOklahoma
(3)85CBDwight BentleyLouisiana-Lafayette
(4)125LBRonnell LewisOklahoma
(5)138LBTahir WhiteheadTemple
(5)148CBChris GreenwoodAlbion
(6)196CBJonte GreenNew Mexico State
(7)223LBTravis LewisOklahoma

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B[/h] Summary: At the time, I thought Detroit did pretty well, and it still may end up that way. But the return thus far has been minimal, with a key injury part of the problem. Riley Reiff was a pretty good value at No. 23 overall, a player that could come in and provide starts at right tackle with the goal of ultimately taking over for Jeff Backus at left tackle. That may be his role in 2013. The big disappointment in this class is Ryan Broyles, who was starting to flash some of the ability that had him on my Big Board before an ACL tear at Oklahoma. Well, he tore an ACL again after catching 22 passes. Hopefully he comes back once again, because he has a ton of ability. We didn't see much of third-rounder Bill Bentley, and Jonte Green (No. 196 overall) turned into the biggest contributor the Lions got out of the rookie class at cornerback, a major need position for them going into the draft. Tahir Whitehead and Travis Lewis both saw the field, but the draft thus far has been merely average. If Reiff becomes the answer at left tackle and Broyles can get healthy once again, this grade could improve.

<!-- end inline 23 -->
[h=3]NFC South[/h]​
<!-- begin inline 24 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
nor.gif

[h=3]New Orleans Saints[/h]
(3)90DTAkiem HicksRegina, Can.
(4)122WRNick ToonWisconsin
(5)162SCorey WhiteSamford
(6)179GAndrew TillerSyracuse
(7)234TMarcel JonesNebraska

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C-[/h] Summary: There really weren't any expectations for this draft. The Saints didn't have a first-round pick because of a trade, and the NFL stripped them of a pick in Round 2. By the time they picked at No. 90 overall, it was at the point where fans start to become impressed we have good footage on some of the players taken. That certainly qualified when they took defensive tackle Akiem Hicks, who had been playing his college ball in Canada. Hicks isn't a classic sleeper, given he could have been playing at LSU if things had worked out, and towards the end of the season we saw flashes of that talent. But he's no lock to become a starter. Corey White saw some time in the secondary, but that's really the entirety of the first-year contributions out of this draft.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: D[/h]

<!-- end inline 24 --><!-- begin inline 25 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
atl.gif

[h=3]Atlanta Falcons[/h]
(2)55CPeter KonzWisconsin
(3)91TLamar HolmesSouthern Mississippi
(5)157FBBradie EwingWisconsin
(5)164DEJonathan MassaquoiTroy
(6)192SCharles MitchellMississippi State
(7)249NTTravian RobertsonSouth Carolina

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C[/h] Summary: The Falcons didn't draft until No. 55 overall, but they got a player I considered the best at his position. Peter Konz was my top-rated center on draft day, and he finished the season as a starter at guard. He should remain as a starter on the interior of Atlanta's offensive line. There isn't much to point to after that, but again, this for a team that didn't have significant holes. The pass rush was an area of concern, and Jonathan Massaquoi still has a chance to develop after being taken at No. 164 overall out of Troy. Late picks Charles Mitchell and Travian Robertson both managed to stick, but so far the draft is basically Konz and some hope for Massaquoi.

<!-- end inline 25 --><!-- begin inline 26 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
car.gif

[h=3]Carolina Panthers[/h]
(1)9LBLuke KuechlyBoston College
(2)40GAmini Silatolu Midwestern State
(4)103DEFrank AlexanderOklahoma
(4)104WRJoe AdamsArkansas
(5)143CBJosh NormanCoastal Carolina
(6)207PBrad NortmanWisconsin
(7)216SD.J. CampbellCalifornia

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B-[/h] Summary: No team that didn't reach the playoffs finished as well as the Panthers, who won their last four games (five of their last six) -- and the 2012 draft played a big role. Luke Kuechly seems destined to be one of the top players from this draft. Taking an inside linebacker inside the top 10 raises value questions, but not when you hit a home run. Kuechly wasn't just good, he led the NFL in tackles and he should only continue to get better. (Kuechly doesn't turn 22 until a week before the 2013 draft.) You could see his exceptional instincts on display early. Amini Silatolu moved inside and started 15 games at guard. He struggled, but also started to play his best football towards the end of the season. Frank Alexander played in every game, and could develop into a pretty good pass-rusher. Josh Norman was raw coming out of Coastal Carolina, but should be a starter at corner in Week 1 next season, and has the chance to get a lot better as his technical skills catch up with his athleticism. And hey, the Panthers even got a pretty good punter in a reasonable value range, drafting Brad Nortman at No. 207 overall. Kuechly is the gem, and the grade reflects that not all of these guys see as much time on a contender, but this is not a bad draft at all for the Panthers. We'll see if the good play from the end of the season can carry over.

<!-- end inline 26 --><!-- begin inline 27 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
tam.gif

[h=3]Tampa Bay Buccaneers[/h]
(1)7SMark BarronAlabama
(1)31RBDoug MartinBoise State
(2)58LBLavonte DavidNebraska
(5)140LBNajee GoodeWest Virginia
(6)174CBKeith TandyWest Virginia
(7)212RBMichael SmithUtah State
(7)233TEDrake DunsmoreNorthwestern

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: A[/h] Summary: After a season in the books, I still really like this draft. At the time I wrote, "In terms of adding impactful talent, and working the board, it's hard to do any better than Tampa Bay did in the first two rounds." You can question positional value drafting a safety in the top 10, but it was a big need, and Mark Barron was the best safety available in the draft. He has work to do in his ability to cover, but he started all 16 games and should only get better. Doug Martin is already one of the top running backs in the NFL, and does everything well -- running, catching, blocking and even holding onto the ball. He fell just short of 2,000 total yards. Lavonte David was one of my favorite picks in the draft, a steal at No. 58 overall, and 16 starts and 139 tackles later can't be considered anything less than a great value for the Bucs. There isn't much to show for the later rounds, but the Bucs got three impact starters with their first three picks, and worked the board well to land Martin. Can't ask for much more in terms of immediate impact.

<!-- end inline 27 -->
[h=3]NFC West[/h]​
<!-- begin inline 28 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
sfo.gif

[h=3]San Francisco 49ers[/h]
(1)30WRA.J. JenkinsIllinois
(2)61RBLaMichael James Oregon
(4)117GJoe LooneyWake Forest
(5)165LBDarius FlemingNotre Dame
(6)180STrent RobinsonMichigan State
(6)199CJason SloweyWestern Oregon
(7)237LBCam Johnson Virginia

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C+[/h] Summary: You can be cynical by looking at this draft class and asking, "Where's the impact?" Then you can be realistic and wonder exactly how the 49ers were going to draft players capable of improving what was already the best roster in the NFL. A.J. Jenkins might have seemed like a reasonable need pick at the time, but are you surprised a young wide receiver wasn't used on a team where Mario Manningham and Randy Moss were added in free agency? And LaMichael James is a major offensive threat, but with Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter already on the roster when he was drafted, there weren't go to be many carries available. James, fittingly, is now playing a key role as the Super Bowl approaches. If you want a memory of a player with big-time talent who didn't play an immediate role on a good team, recall that Ricky Watters was taken by the 49ers in 1991 and didn't see the field as a rookie. It was a really good team. But in his second season, Watters had more than 1,000 yards rushing and started to emerge as a star. After the draft I wrote, "Not a bad draft at all, and you could see their strategy. It's tough to add early impact to a good roster." The Niners didn't see early impact, but given where the team is, we can't say this won't be an impactful draft. Consider it an "incomplete" with the highest compliments.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: Incomplete[/h]

<!-- end inline 28 --><!-- begin inline 29 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
sea.gif

[h=3]Seattle Seahawks[/h]
(1)15DEBruce IrvinWest Virginia
(2)47LBBobby WagnerUtah State
(3)75QBRussell WilsonWisconsin
(4)106RBRobert TurbinUtah State
(4)114DTJaye HowardFlorida
(5)154LBKorey ToomerIdaho
(6)172CBJeremy LaneNorthwestern State
(6)181CBWinston GuyKentucky
(7)225DTJ.R. SweezyNorth Carolina State
(7)232DE Greg Scruggs Louisville

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: C-[/h] Summary: Give John Schneider and Pete Carroll all the credit in the world. I had major questions on value and even need with some of their picks, and in most cases, the Seahawks proved me wrong. At the time I wrote, "Let's be clear: I think the Seahawks drafted guys they really wanted, and with a plan in mind for how to use them." Did they ever. Russell Wilson might be the defining pick of the draft, already a star and a guy Seattle got at No. 75 overall. I really liked Wilson as a prospect, and said on the set I thought he'd be "a great test case" for short quarterbacks. My question of the pick also had to do with the fact that Seattle had acquired Matt Flynn. If Wilson had been 6-foot-2, I think he would have been a top-5 pick -- said it then, say it now. Is that evaluation still reasonable? Has Wilson proven that short QBs can't all be lumped together? Ultimately, evaluators will still have questions about whether short QBs can succeed because they simply have so few of them to evaluate. The sample size for guys at Wilson's size who've succeeded as he has is so small that not only is Wilson almost unique, I don't see a QB like him coming along for years. But there's no way around the fact that he was a great pick, perhaps the best of the draft when you consider where he was taken.
I also had questions about the value of Bobby Wagner at No. 47 overall, but he was a home run, an impact starter and a guy who will be a fixture for years to come. Robert Turbin, Jeremy Lane and Greg Scruggs also look like great picks. The one pick I really questioned then and still feel the same way about is Bruce Irvin at No. 15 overall. There's no question Irvin can rush the passer, but that's really all he can do, and I still don't see him as a good value at that spot because he's so one-dimensional. I wrote then, "I wouldn't be surprised if Irvin gets 10 sacks in 2012, but that's really his game. He's not a three-down player yet." He still isn't, and is a total liability against the run, as we saw against Atlanta in the playoffs. He finished with 8.0 sacks, but has plenty of development left if he wants to become more than a situational player. I think you want more of a complete player at that point in the draft. Still, this was an exceptional draft, a very good one in terms of immediate value and likely a defining one for the franchise based on Wilson alone.

<!-- end inline 29 --><!-- begin inline 30 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
ari.gif

[h=3]Arizona Cardinals[/h]
(1)13WRMichael FloydNotre Dame
(3)80CBJamell FlemingOklahoma
(4)112TBobby MassieMississippi
(5)151TSenio KelemeteWashington
(6)177CBJustin BethelPresbyterian
(6)185QBRyan LindleySan Diego State
(7)221TNate PotterBoise State

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B-[/h] Summary: This is a draft class that looks a lot better after a full season than it did early on. Michael Floyd didn't have much impact early, but he was a much bigger factor in the second half and finished the season with 45 catches. Bobby Massie wasn't ready to be a starting NFL tackle and was totally overmatched when he was thrust into the role to start the season. But 16 starts later, he looks a lot better, and could help solidify a key position going forward. That's not bad for a fourth-round pick. Same with Nate Potter, a seventh-rounder who finished with six starts, and could hold down the left tackle role in years to come if he continues to improve. I don't see Ryan Lindley as an NFL starter, but he was also thrust into the role late in the year. Floyd should improve, and if Massie and Potter have the chance to get better and block for a better QB, this draft should look a lot better in the years to come. So I'll improve the grade, with development the goal.

<!-- end inline 30 --><!-- begin inline 31 --><!--TEAM HEADER-->
stl.gif

[h=3]St. Louis Rams[/h]
(1)14DTMichael Brockers LSU
(2)33WRBrian QuickAppalachian State
(2)39CBJanoris JenkinsNorth Alabama
(2)50RBIsaiah PeadCincinnati
(3)65CBTrumaine JohnsonMontana
(4)96WRChris GivensWake Forest
(5)150TRokevious Watkins South Carolina
(6)171KGreg ZuerleinMissouri Western
(7)209LBAaron BrownHawaii
(7)252RBDaryl RichardsonAbilene Christian

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<!-- END RIGHT INLINE --><!-- WRITEUP -->[h=3]Post-draft grade: B-[/h] Summary: The Rams landed a massive amount of draft value when they dealt the No. 2 pick to Washington, but would they make something of it? At the time I wrote, "The St. Louis Rams got a lot of nice players in Round 2. The downside, as Jon Gruden noted to me, is that this was a team that at one time held the No. 2 overall pick in the draft. The Rams were in a position to draft a guy they assume is capable of stardom. Did they get adequate return in this draft (remember, a lot of the value will be coming in the next few years given the trade parameters)?" So far, I think you have to conclude they did. The Rams got eight players in the 2012 draft who have already been contributors, and for a team that really improved. Janoris Jenkins played up to his talent level, and has Pro Bowls in his future. Once healthy, Michael Brockers delivered impact on what will be a very good defensive line. Chris Givens can be a good wide receiver and showed big-play potential, and Brian Quick has a chance to develop. Trumaine Johnson found his way into the starting lineup at corner, and both Daryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead will see more of the ball next season. And don't forget Greg Zuerlein, who made 23 of 31 field goals, but six of those misses came from beyond 50 yards, where he was a very good 7 of 13 overall. Yes, they gave up a No. 2 pick, but they have a first-rounder in each of the next two drafts, and cashed in with a ton of value from this one. This roster could be one of the league's most talented by 2014. They could have done a lot worse.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=3]New grade: B+[/h]</offer>

Tokens
Colts had a great draft. 5 offensive starters in 1 draft.

Dwayne Allen will develop into great tight end, He will be better than Fleener who was drafted ahead of him. TY Hilton is a good slot receiver.

Best draft Colts have had in years. I have faith in new young current GM. Polian sucked for the last 10 years.

Tokens
Worst selection Bills TJ Graham when they could have taken Russell Wilson. Now wathc how much they will have to reach to get one this year. Talking about Nassib at 8

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyPoi
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com