Service Plays Saturday 3/23/13

Search
Tokens
Please remember, this forum is not here for regular posters who cap their own games to post ther daily plays. Please use our individual sport forums to post your plays. Professional cappers (those that sell plays) must remain in the Site Promotion Forum.
Do not post any copy written info from the following services.

Apple Handicappers
Allan Eastman (do not post)
PlusLineSports-
PowerPlay Wins
Pregame
The Real Animal
THELOCKOFTHEDAY
Any services represented by Stevo Design Inc.
ATSadv ice.com
Right Angle Sports (RAS)
Tony Karpinski and 3G-Sports
Discreat Cat (do not post at all)
Doc Sports Services (do not post at all)
Big Al Mcmordie (do not post at all)
Dr. Bob Sports
Dr. guru sports
madduxsports
Red Zone Sports
Dennis Hill
Peter Gold at VI
Strike Point Sports (do not post)
Vegas Sports Informer (do not post)
Winning Points/Sports Reporter
ASA, ASA Inc’s or American Sports Analysts
Sal Bansa/sportspicks1019
Mikelineback
Larry Ness
zen_gambler
Tom Stryker
Lenny Delgenio
Scott Spreitzer
Matt Fargo
@ntonwins
Robert Ferringo (do not post)
Pacific (Pac Star) Sports
The Prez
Mike Rose
Gametimereport
LT Profits
Alex Smart
JB Sports
ATS Consultants
Ken Jenkins
AJ Apollo
Jim Avery
Jim Kruger
Paul Stone
Ross Benjamin
Dave Cokin
Tony George
Fred Wallin
Rocky Atkinson
Jorge Gonzalez
Greg DiPalma
Vernon Croy
Ron Raymond
Dennis Macklin
Ben Lewis
Lucky Lester
Bruce Marshall
Ted Sevransky (Teddy Covers)
Ben Burns
Fairway Jay
EZ Winners
Pointwise Sports
Pro Sports Info
Steve Merril SportsAlatex Sports
Tennessee Valley Sports
Trushel Sports Consulting
Sports Memo Crew which include:
Rob Veno,Brent Crow,Erin Rynning,Donnie Black,Marty Otto,Jared Klein,David Jones,Ed Cash
Sixth Sense Sports
Marc Lawrence, and/or
Playbook, and/or
Preferred Picks
Vegasadvisor s.com.
PayneInsider
Killersportslive
jumperjack (keith)
Hittingpaydirt
Vegas Winning Crew: (do not post)
Sports Money Profit System (do not post top plays)
-------
GL!

Tokens
Dave Tuley, ESPN Insider

Best round of 32 ATS bets

In Saturday games, Zags should return to form; Crimson a solid bet

Updated: March 22, 2013, 3:56 PM ET
By Dave Tuley | ESPN Insider

EMAIL
PRINT

With Louisville a minus-10.5 favorite, Colorado State is a good bet on Saturday.
Thursday's games had everything we were expecting from this year's edition of March Madness.
Favorites dominated early and the day ended with favorites going 9-7 ATS but with five outright upsets for 'dog players. There was something for everyone.
For the record, I went a subpar 4-6 ATS with my overall plays Thursday in the games I broke down in my previews of the Midwest and West Regionals, but I was a respectable 2-1 ATS with my best bets (denoted by an asterisk), which is much more important to me as those are the games on which I'm betting the most. In much the same way, Teddy "Covers" Sevransky went 3-3 ATS with his overall picks in the East and South Regionals, but he was 3-1 with his best bets.
So let's get to Saturday's games. The key to betting this round is approaching it like the oddsmakers do: You certainly have to look at how the teams performed Thursday to get a sense of their current form, but you also have to be careful not to overreact and let it negate their overall body of work. We usually have one or two Cinderella stories reach the Sweet 16, but there's even more times when the clock strikes midnight on them and it's the higher-ranking debutantes that get to stick around and continue partying at the Big Dance.
Good luck and enjoy the madness!

No. 1 Louisville Cardinals versus No. 8 Colorado State Rams

Vegas consensus line: Louisville minus-10.5
PickCenter breakdown
Louisville beat North Carolina A&T 79-48 and dominated the way a No. 1 seed is supposed to as the Cardinals comfortably covered the 26.5-point spread. If you were ranking Thursday's performances, most would put Louisville with Saint Louis, VCU, Syracuse and Harvard as the teams that played the most complete games, but I would add Colorado State, which stayed in control throughout its win over Missouri. I made this line around 7.5 and was happy to see it come up 10.5 on Friday morning (some places were as high as 11). There is concern that Louisville is 15-5 ATS as a double-digit favorite this year, but I like that Colorado State has never been getting this many points. The biggest spread they faced was earlier this year as a 6-point dog against Washington. The Rams have only one loss by more than 10 points all year, so I expect them to keep it close.
The ATS pick: Colorado State*
No. 4 Saint Louis Billikens versus No. 12 Oregon Ducks

Vegas consensus line: Saint Louis minus-4
PickCenter breakdown
The Pac-12 was much-maligned coming into the tournament yet Oregon and California both won as No. 12 seeds and Arizona rolled as a No. 6. However, while Oregon carried its momentum from its Pac-12 tourney title into its upset of Oklahoma State, anyone who watched Saint Louis had to be impressed with its play on both ends of the court. Many people are obviously agreeing with me as this line opened with Saint Louis minus-3.5 and it's up to minus-4 as of late Friday morning. Often in cases like this I would be looking to fade such a move on a team becoming a public favorite, but I'll pass on the underdog here.
The ATS pick: Saint Louis
No. 3 Michigan State Spartans versus No. 6 Memphis Tigers

Vegas consensus line: Michigan State minus-5.5
PickCenter breakdown
I paid for fading Tom Izzo (my official play was Valparaiso plus-10 and they lost by 11; hopefully others following along were able to at least salvage a push) as Michigan State controlled their opening game, but I still felt Memphis showed more with their hard-fought 54-52 win over Saint Mary's. I was pleasantly surprised when this line opened Michigan State minus-5 and it has been bet up to a consensus 5.5 as of this writing (and that's the line I'm listing here), but there are indications that the public is going to steam this to at least 6, and I will be fading that move. Note: It appears all the Big Ten teams are taking money as people continue to hear the hype of how it was the best conference this year. While that's true, it also is giving added value for those willing to fade those moves especially since we can only assume that bias was already built into the line.
The ATS pick: Memphis*
No. 1 Gonzaga Bulldogs versus No. 9 Wichita State Shockers

Vegas consensus line: Gonzaga minus-6
PickCenter breakdown
The fact that Wichita State upset Pittsburgh wasn't shocking, but it was shocking the way it dominated. Meanwhile, Gonzaga was barely able to hold off Southern, and many are saying the Zags were exposed. That's probably why we saw this line open Gonzaga minus-7. But a lot of support has come for the 'dog and now it's down to 6.
I'm not buying it. A lot of top seeds have scares and still make deep runs in the tourney, and I expect Gonzaga to return to form in this game. If Gonzaga had rolled in its opener and if this line was around minus-10 where I think it should be, I might very well be making a case for Wichita State instead, but with the depressed line and feeling that the Shockers will pay for the Bulldogs' poor performance, I have to pass.
The ATS pick: Gonzaga
No. 6 Arizona Wildcats versus No. 14 Harvard Crimson

Vegas consensus line: Arizona minus-10
PickCenter breakdown
Now, here's a case where I think the 'dog is getting decent line value (the spread is significantly higher for a No. 6 versus 14 than a No. 1 versus 9). I was waffling on whether to make it a best bet because absolutely everything went right for the Crimson on Thursday night and I wasn't sure if they could do it back-to-back. But I have to say I'm encouraged by the fact Harvard traveled west earlier this year and beat California outright as a 11-point underdog and then covered a 12-point spread at Saint Mary's. I see no reason why they can't duplicate that effort.
The ATS pick: Harvard*
No. 4 Michigan Wolverines versus No. 5 Virginia Commonwealth Rams

Vegas consensus line: Michigan minus-3.5
PickCenter breakdown
Here's another case with the Big Ten getting support as this line opened Michigan minus-2.5 and has been bet to 3.5 with no sign of a letup yet. That's a little surprising as one of the main things I heard from Vegas bookmakers Thursday was that everyone was coming to the counters betting on VCU (probably remembering their Cinderella run of two years ago) and including the Rams in parlays. Michigan played well in its spread-covering win over South Dakota State, but the spread was in doubt throughout. VCU will be able to run with Michigan and this track meet, which has the highest total of the day at 142.5 points, should come down to the wire (with perhaps those added points coming in handy).
The ATS pick: VCU*
No. 4 Syracuse Orange versus No. 12 California Golden Bears

Vegas consensus line: Syracuse minus-8
PickCenter breakdown
Maybe I'm a little biased because UNLV was the rare favorite that I actually bet Thursday (and I think it's important for handicappers to recognize the potential for their own biases to creep into their analysis when watching games and strive to be objective), but Cal's win was more a result of UNLV's failure to make layups and the Rebels' lack of hustle in getting rebounds than anything the Bears did, even though Allen Crabbe is a pretty special player. But Crabbe can't do it alone, and I don't believe Syracuse is going to fail at so many fundamentals and give a chance for Cal to stay in this game. I don't expect an 81-34 rout like the Orange handed to Montana, but it should be a comfortable win.
The ATS pick: Syracuse
No. 3 Marquette Golden Eagles versus No. 6 Butler Bulldogs

Vegas consensus line: Marquette minus-2
PickCenter breakdown
By all rights, Marquette should have been upset by Davidson, so I get that people are going to bet against the Golden Eagles. In addition, while Butler isn't quite the Cinderella it used to be (and must be a little jealous of all the adoration given to VCU, Harvard, etc.), there are still plenty of people who are going to take the Bulldogs anytime they're a betting 'dog. Plus, Butler beat Marquette 72-71 way back in November. For those reasons, we're seeing this number come up a little short and it puts the value back on the Marquette side as I feel they're still the better overall team. We should see a much better effort from them, though I will add this is the least confident I am in any of the eight games Saturday.

The ATS pick: Marquette

SUBSCRIBE

Dave Tuley

ESPN Insider

Last edited by a moderator:
Tokens
DAVE ESSLER

Saturday Cliff Notes - Bracketology II

Butler-Marquette: Let's look at the perception of these teams first. Butler played TOUGh when they needed to, and IMO that was far more of a "Brad Stevens" thing than a talent discrepancy with Bucknell. This Bison actually came from WAY down to take a six point lead in the second half, and against a team like Marquette, Butler will simply not get away with that. Marquette is lucky to have advanced, BUT, they advanced, and almost every team, even the eventual national champion, has a game they "coulda/shoulda" lost. So, perhaps it's Marquette that's a bit under valued here. Davidson's style was truly one we knew would give them trouble. Butler seemingly plays right into what Marquette will want to do. However, the Bulldogs do have a significant size advantage that may negate some of Marquette's rebounding. Note I said "may", because I do worry that if Smith gets in foul trouble that Butler may be screwed, and with the Golden Eagles pounding it inside all night, that would be a concern backing Butler.

Colorado State-Louisville: It's always tough to fade Louisville, who have won about eight or ten straight in convincing fashion. However, see paragraph one where I say that every team has at least one game they could lose but don't, and CSU does have the ingredients to stay within this number. People may look at CSU and think "well, they beat a sloppy Tiger team", which is true, but they MORE than beat them, they dismantled them. Louisville is certainly going to want to bang inside, and that does indeed play right into CSU's strength, and it's real difficult for me to NOT take a team that scores as many points from the line than the Rams do. Over the course of 40 minutes, those add up. I would worry that CSU doesn't turn teams over that much, and obviously Louisville does. But, I looked at what CSU was able to do to Wyoming (twice) this season, and think that perhaps there is a chance. I do know that Wyoming had their share of issues, but they do play a similarly tough defense, as does Fresno who CSU had zero issues with at Fresno. Bottom line here is that Louisville would have no problem slowing down a team like Missouri or another fast paced, athletic team, but that's not CSU, who has the roster to play most any style.

Memphis-Michigan State: We'd (or I would) obviously try to make a case for Memphis and taking points, or at least that would certainly be my inclination. But, I do come back to them playing in the C-USA, which is an issue for me, and I do go back to the fact that they simply didn't beat a good team out or really in conference play this season. But, winning and covering are two different things. I suspect that were it not "Memphis" that this line would be several points higher, so the value may well lie with the Spartans, especially since they're basically playing a home game. My concern with backing the Spartans is that they can be prone to turning it over, and obviously the Tigers D can create them. On the flip side, it may be tough to back the team that really seems to struggle at the line at times and/or not get there enough, and that would be Memphis. State can also be prone to blocked shots, and that's a strength of Memphis' defense. Since we know that the Spartans are far more capable of slowing the game down than Memphis is of speeding it up, I'd have to think the under is the best play in this one, or at least the safest.

Michigan-VCU: Obviously another home game for Michigan, so that's a point or two or three that would be in their favor built into this line. Teams that HAVE beat Michigan have had upper echelon defenses, such as Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Indiana. Michigan fares better against the athletic teams that want to get up and down the floor, such as Iowa, Arkansas, and NC State, and that's exactly what VCU wants to do. My instinct is that because VCU simply doesn't have the elite defense that most of the team the Wolverines have faced, is that in the end Michigan wins this game. Since neither team was really tested much, it's tough to get a read on how they'll handle a pressure situation yet. It's always tough for me to back a team like VCU who rely so heavily on the three point shot, especially away from home and against a team who's strength on defense may well be on the perimeter (Michigan). But, we've got the team that forces the most turnovers (VCU) against the team (Michigan) that forces the most. Is this where the youth and inexperience shows up, or is this really still a home game. Hard to fade Shaka Smart when it comes to quick-turn around preparation, and although VCU's defense doesn't have the stats that the Wolverines do, I might contend that they played more offensive minded teams in the A-10, and may be hard pressed not to take the points in what may well be a last possession game.

Witchita State-Gonzaga: Even with the Shockers blowout of Pittsburgh, they're still being disrespected here in light of how Gonzaga had to struggle with a #16 seed. Especially given that their relative strength of schedules are nearly identical, and the Shockers have more experience and less expectations, at least in the betting public's mind. My instinct says that if you want to give me a team that can beat everyone but Creighton and +6.5 points, we should take it. If we make that bet, one thing I do like about Witchita is that they're a bit more versatile on offense, whereas Gonzaga is for more of an interior team. Normally, I'd like that, but in this game Orukpe to take up some space and some fouls against the two bigs for the Zags. In the Zags last game they let Southern shoot 10-23 from behind the arc, but what would really concern me more is that Southern had eight blocked shots to NONE for Gonzaga. And Gonzaga shot 40% from behind the arc, which I just don't see Witchita allowing to happen. They may even concede the inside as long as they can keep the three's in check. Either way, I can't lay those points to a good team like the Shockers. If Gonzaga wakes up and plays to their potential, so be it, but until they do I am not betting on it. Too much of a price to pay for me.

Havard-Arizona: Well, the trendy Belmont pick went down in flames, which for now is fine because we weren't on Belmont and we do have a future on Arizona to win the whole thing. What is very interesting here is that Harvard shoots over 40% from deep, AND they score almost 25% of their points from the line, meaning that Arizona's size may make little or no difference, at least defensively. I would say that's especially true because the one Achilles Heel of the Wildcats defense is defending the perimeter. With that in mind and knowing that they'll run if given the chance, I'd lean over in this one because they are a great defensive rebounding team, and with Harvard missed deep shots there may well be plenty of opportunities for fast break points. Yes, Harvard played and Ivy League schedule (duh), but they played the 26th best non-conference schedule, beating Cal in Cal and losing to St. Marys on the road by one. So, Harvard hanging around here would not be a massive surprise. Certainly the fact that as of this writing the number opened at -10 and is still sitting there says nobody's jumping on the Wildcats early. I don't expect this line to go too much higher, and the initial move on the total was down. IMO that could be a setup for later.

Oregon-St. Louis: Something's got to give here because we've got two of the most favorite public teams to bet on, and IMO putting that line out at -3.5 is just saying exactly that. Obviously the Billikens would be favored, but not by TOO much over a team the public is in love with. Here's what concerns me about taking St. Louis. Yes, they breezed through the A-10, but early in the season two teams they lost to were Santa Clara and Kansas (badly) and what they have in common with the Ducks is they play quick. St. Louis wasn't tested at all against New Mexico State (shit) while Oregon is in full Tournament mode after beating an excellent Oklahoma State team with perhaps one of the best PG's in the nation in Marcus Smart. Oregon has the size to compete with St. Louis, and really the only concern I would have is whether they Ducks and their Freshman PG can keep from turning the ball over, which had been a problem earlier in the season. On the other hand, perhaps that time off Artis had can be beneficial at this point. St. Louis is not a great offensive rebounding team, which would help them control the pace, so we actually lean Ducks here.

Cal-Syracuse: Two of my least favorite teams to bet on, especially Syracuse after that Louisville debacle. I've been big on fading these Big East teams that pack it in against teams that can simply shoot over them, and perhaps that's the way we'll go here. But, my problem with Cal all season had been that they were soft (physically) at times, and obvously against a Big East team (even a soft one like Syracuse) that COULD be a problem. Dan Bebe's Bears beat a very undisciplined team in UNLV, although they let the Rebels make it a much closer game than it needed to be, while the Orange just did everything right (or Montana did everything wrong). Clearly that would make Syracuse the early betting favorite (publicly) and it opened at -8 and quickly went to -7.5, and today has been going back and forth, so clearly some disagreement there. The one thing Cal does have to compete is the size, but what I really don't like at all is they score the overwhelming majority of their points inside and obviously against that Syracuse zone that's just not going to be an easy thing to do. They've got a thin bench, whereas Syracuse does not. Cal's interior defense is very good, so if Triche and/or Sutherland can shoot over them, this does have the potential to be a blowout. If the game were on the East Coast this is one time I might lay the points. SLIGHT lean to the over only because I can see Cal firing three's late to catch up. Problem is that Crabbe is about the only threat they have, and with the minutes he plays he'll be one tired Bear by the time this game is over.

Tokens
DAVID BANKS

NBA WEEKEND LEAN SHEET

Detroit at Charlotte, Saturday, Mar. 23, 7:00 ET
You may be fooled in deciding which of these two teams has the worst record in the NBA if looking at their recent form. The Pistons have lost nine straight games as of this writing and it should be 10 straight losses by the time this game tips off as Detroit has date at Miami on Friday. The Bobcats are the team that still has the worst record in the league, but they come in winners of two straight after beating Washington and Toronto here at home this week while uncharacteristically topping 100 points in both games and Charlotte will be playing with two days off having not played since Wednesday. Detroit is 6-14 ATS in its last 20 games when playing its second straight road game.
LEAN: CHARLOTTE

Indiana at Chicago, Saturday, Mar. 23, 8:00 ET
This is a huge game for the Bulls if they want to entertain any thoughts about winning the Central Division, as they have lost all three meetings with the Pacers this season but still trail Indiana by a manageable five games as of midweek. A Chicago loss here would basically assure the Bulls not having home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs. The Pacers hit a bit of a lull beginning with a loss in a statement game at Miami two weeks ago, as they then lost at home to the Lakers and at Philadelphia soon after that. They did regroup to beat the Cavaliers and Magic earlier this week, but this assignment looks tougher. Chicago is 18-10, 64,3 percent ATS in its last 28 division games.
LEAN: CHICAGO

Boston at Memphis, Saturday, Mar. 23, 8:00 ET
The Celtics had a massive letdown when losing 87-86 at New Orleans on Wednesday as that came on the heels of having the Miami Heat on the ropes before getting nipped 105-103 on Monday. That marked the third straight game that the Celtics topped 100 points as they have oddly continued to get better offensively since All-Star Rajon Rondo went down, showing their pride with other players rising to the occasion. Even with that stinker on Wednesday, Boston is 16-8 since losing Rondo while averaging 97.8 points per game. Now Memphis leads the NBA is scoring defense, but that may actually result in a deflated total here, especially if Boston's year-to-date numbers are weighted more heavily than its recent offensive improvement. The 'over' is 10-2 in the last 12 head-to-head meetings.
LEAN: OVER

Tokens
CBB

VCU forces turnovers on 28.8% of possessions, #1 in country, but best team they've beaten is #34 Memphis- they're 0-5 vs top 30 teams, with losses by 3 to Missouri, 2 to Wichita. Rams won 10 of last 13 games, with only losses to Saint Louis/Temple, teams with outstanding guards. Michigan is #338 team in experience, but they have outstanding guards, turning ball over only 14.4% of time, least in country. Wolverines (two juniors, no seniors in rotation) are 7-6 in last 13 games, after 20-1 start to season; six of its seven losses came vs top 10 teams. Wolverines won Thursday when South Dakota State played four starters 40 minutes and wore down late. VCU is going to try and wear Michigan down here.

Since 1998, Michigan State is 10-1 in second round games, with loss in '07 to #1 seed UNC. Spartans won four of their last five games, drubbing Valparaiso team in first round that is most experienced team in country; State rebounded 20 of its 35 missed shots in that game- they played the toughest schedule in country. Memphis blocked 12 shots in getting Josh Pastner his first tourney win, holding off St Mary's 54-52; Tigers are 1-3 vs top 25 teams, losing by 13-9-9, with loss to Minnesota of Big Dozen in there. Before beating #21 St Mary's, best team Memphis had beaten was #59 Southern Miss. Over the last seven years, #3 seeds are 9-5 vs spread when facing a 6-seed in second round. Playing in Auburn Hills can’t hurt Spartans.

In its last two games, Louisville had 44-10 run vs Syracuse, then waxed NCA&T by 31, forcing 27 turnovers; since '93, Cardinals are 7-1 in 2nd round games, winning last four by 22-30-7-3 points. Since '05, favorites of 10+ points in second round are 11-6 vs spread. Colorado State starts five seniors, is top rebounding team in country (#2 on offensive, #1 on defensive boards), but they're #308 team in bench minutes, so Cardinal club that forces turnovers 27.6% of time (#2 in US) will attempt to wear them down. Over last four years, #1 seeds are 10-5-1 vs spread in this round. Louisville fans will turn Rupp Arena into a Cardinal home arena, at least for two hours.

Harvard is first #14 seed to win since Ohio U three years ago; over last 28 years, #14 seeds are 5-9 vs spread in second round, losing last five such games by 15-9-8-13-15 points (0-5 vs spread). Crimson is #2 in the country at getting to foul line; they're 1-2 vs top 50 teams, losing by 10 at Memphis, 1 at St Mary's, before upsetting New Mexico Thursday in first round. Arizona is 11-2 in second round games, losing as 8-seed in '06, 1-seed in '00; they outrebounded Belmont 44-18 Thursday; Bruins are similar team to Harvard. Wildcats are 6-5 in last 11 games after 20-2 start; they are 15-1 vs teams ranked outside top 80 (Harvard is #93). Since '05, second round double digit favorites are 11-6 against spread.

Saint Louis had rough 3-3 start, but is on 16-1 run now- they've got four juniors, three seniors in rotation, are in top 20 in nation at getting to foul line. Billikens held New Mexico State to 28% from floor Thursday; they force turnovers 23.5% of time, hold teams to 32.1% behind arc. Oregon was 17-2 when PG Artis hurt his foot; they went 5-4 while he was out, are 5-2 since he came back, but he played only 17 minutes vs Oklahoma State, as he/Loyd are splitting position. Ducks turn ball over 21.7% of time. Billikens are #30 team in country in experience. Since 2007, second round favorites of less than 5 points are 23-18 vs spread. Since '03, #12 seeds are 8-4 vs spread when facing a #4 seed.

Butler (+4) beat Marquette 72-71 on Maui Nov 19, game they trailed by 5 with 2:01 left; Clarke hit runner at buzzer for win. Bulldogs are 10-6 in last 16 games after a 16-2 start; both teams shot 57% inside arc in that Maui game, Butler was +7 in turnovers (7-14). Butler is 7-1 in last eight games as tournament underdog. Marquette was down 54-48 with 1:10 to play Thursday, pulled out unlikely win over Davidson, going 3-3 from arc in last 1:10, after being 1-12 before that. Butler outscored Bucknell 25-5 on foul line in first round, but trailed 37-31 with 10:17 left, before finishing game on 37-19 run. Over the last seven years, #3 seeds are 9-5 vs spread when facing a 6-seed in second round.

Since 2006, Gonzaga is 2-6 in second round games, losing in this round last three years by 22-22-7 points (as 8-11-7 seed, though); Zags looked tight in first round, outscoring Southern 8-2 in last 3:00 for 64-58 win, a very difficult game, Zags' 13th win in row- they played four starters 32+ minutes. Wichita was 33-41 on foul line 73-55 win over Pitt, a brickfest where both teams shot under 36% inside arc, but surprisingly easy win for Shockers. Over last four tourneys, #1 seeds are 10-5-1 vs spread in this round. Since '08, second round favorites of 5+ points are 27-15-2 vs spread. Gonzaga is 6-2 vs top 40 teams, losing to Illinois/Butler, beating St Mary's three times for half of those six wins.

Mike Montgomery is great coach, having coached Warriors in NBA, but does Cal have players who can finish inside vs Syracuse 2-3 zone? Bears hardly sub; they get 62% of points on 2-pointers (#5 in country), which suggests they do, but Syracuse blocks 19.1% of opponents' shots, #1 in country, and hold teams to 29.1% on arc. Orange is 5-5 in last ten games; they're 20-2 vs teams ranked outside top 50, losing to UConn/Temple. Cal won eight of last ten games, will have crowd on its side since they're 45 miles from home here. Syracuse rebounded from its collapse in Big East final by crushing banged-up Montana in first round; Since '03, #12 seeds are 8-4 against the spread when facing a #4 seed.

Other tournaments
-- One of Stanford's players is from Alabama; Cardinal is excited to be playing there, in front of his family- they lost to Missouri by 8, in only game vs an SEC team. Bama won three of last four games; they beat Pac-12's Oregon State by 3, in only game vs that league.
-- Rider won six of last seven games, losing in MAAC tourney by point to Fairfield; Broncs lost by 13 at SMU, its only game vs a C-USA foe. East Carolina won five of last seven games, beating Savannah State by a point in opener of this tournament.

-- Eastern Kentucky forces turnovers 25.8% of time, #8 in country, are #2 foul shooting team- teams shoot 53.2% inside arc against them (6th-worst in US). Evansville won two of three vs OVC teams this season, with all three games decided by exactly 12 points.
-- Bradley is 4-8 in its last 12 games, beating Green Bay by 6 in opener of this tournament; Braves played #332 non-league schedule despite it being #32 in experience, which is why they're 17-16. Tulane lost five of its last seven games, and six of its last eight on foreign soil.
-- Ill-Chicago is 4-7 in its last 11 games after beating local rival Chicago State by 11 in tourney opener. Northern Iowa won eight of its last 11 games, beat Milwaukee by 11 in only game vs Horizon foe. Panthers are 8-1 in their last nine home games, with only loss to Denver.

-- Youngstown beat defenseless Oakland 99-87 last game, after scoring 64 or less points in four games before that; Penguins don't sub a whole lot (#331 in bench minutes). Canisius is 9-6 in its last 15 games; they're in top 20 in 3-point percentage, making 38.7%).
-- Air Force won at Hawai'i without top scorer Lyons (knee, out); they beat Montana State by 14, in only game vs Big Sky foe. Weber State had easy time in crushing Cal Poly 85-43, its 14th win in last 15 games, but watching Montana go in tank vs Syracuse couldn't have felt too good.

Tokens
NCAA Betting Mismatches: Saturday's Round of 32

Finding a chink in the oddsmakers’ armor is tough come tournament time. But we peel back some of Saturday’s Round of 32 matchups, looking for some underlying mismatches that could make or break you college basketball bets this March.

VCU Rams vs. Michigan Wolverines (-3.5, 146)

Rams’ turnover-fueled offense vs. Wolverines’ careful ball-handling

Much of VCU’s success comes from its pressure defense, which led the nation in steals and turnovers forced this season. The Rams offense depends on opponents to make mistakes, transforming those turnovers into easy buckets. VCU forced Akron to cough the ball up 21 times in Thursday’s 88-42 blowout win as a 7.5-point favorite.

The only catch with Saturday’s game against Michigan is that the Wolverines don’t make many mistakes. They were the best team in the nation in terms of limiting turnovers, averaging only 9.2 per game, and handed the ball over just nine times in their 71-56 win over South Dakota State Thursday. VCU could struggle to score without getting hand-me-outs.

Arizona Wildcats vs. Harvard Crimson (+10, 132.5)

Wildcats’ NCAA savvy vs. Crimson’s lack of tourney experience

Despite how shaky Arizona has been in the regular season, the Wildcats keep showing up deep into the tournament. They were supposed to be on upset watch in the Round of 64, but smashed would-be Cinderella Belmont. Head coach Sean Miller is looking to make his second Sweet 16 in the last three years and Xavier transfer Mark Lyons and senior Solomon Hill have both made it out of the first weekend during their careers.

Harvard made school history with its first NCAA victory, shocking No. 3 New Mexico in the Round of 64. The Crimson played a near perfect game, shooting better than 52 percent from the field versus the Lobos. Harvard little time to enjoy the win and now faces a team that tends to rise to the occasion. Arizona comes to play in the big games, with wins over Florida and Miami this year – something the Crimson know very little about.

California Golden Bears vs. Syracuse Orange (-7.5, 124.5)

Golden Bears’ Golden State advantage vs. Orange’s time-zone trouble

Cal basically has home-court advantage this weekend in the East Regional, just 50 miles from their Berkley campus. Some players even left San Jose and went back for classes this week. There was a huge Blue and Gold presence in the crowd for Thursday’s upset over UNLV and you can expect even more Cal fans this weekend.

The Orange are on the other side of the country in San Jose – just under 3,000 miles from campus. Syracuse was stuck with the late game Thursday, drubbing Montana with a tipoff of nearly 10 p.m. ET., and will tipoff at 9:40 p.m. ET Saturday. Outside of this year’s tournament, the Orange have been this far west only once in the past 10 seasons – their schedule-opening win over San Diego State in San Diego back in November.

Tokens
Midwest Regional: Day 3 NCAAB Betting Preview

(8) Colorado State Rams vs. (1) Louisville Cardinals (-10.5, 134.5)

Top-seeded Louisville backed up its claim as the hottest team in the NCAA Tournament with a dominant showing in its opening game, but No. 8 seed Colorado State also is coming off an overpowering performance as the teams get set to clash in the Midwest Regional quarterfinals Saturday in Lexington, Ky. The Cardinals rolled past North Carolina A&T 79-48 on Thursday for their 11th consecutive win, notching their 30th victory in the process, and had the luxury of resting their starters for much of the second half. The Rams had to exert a bit more effort to hold off Missouri 84-72, the program's first victory in the NCAA Tournament since 1989.

Perhaps the most impressive part of Colorado State's opening performance is the fact it came with leading scorer Colton Iverson in foul trouble. The Minnesota transfer grabbed 13 rebounds, but was limited to four points. He will need to be more of a factor at the offensive end against the Cardinals. Louisville has been outstanding since a three-game losing streak in January, winning 14 of its last 15 with the setback a five-overtime loss at Notre Dame on Feb. 9. The winner will face No. 4 seed Saint Louis or No. 12 Oregon on Friday in the Sweet 16 in Indianapolis.

TV: 5:15 p.m. ET, CBS

ABOUT COLORADO STATE (26-8): The Rams probably shouldn't expect things to go as smoothly at the offensive end as they did against Missouri - Colorado State shot 49 percent while rolling up the program's highest scoring total in an NCAA Tournament game, but said they are well-equipped to handle Louisville's pressing defense. "We're going to prepare for that," guard Jon Octeus said. "We've done a good job of pressuring each other. I think we'll be able to handle all the pressure they bring." The biggest advantage the Rams have against the Cardinals is their prowess on the boards. Colorado State ranks fourth in the nation in rebounding (40.5) and leads the nation in opponents' rebounds (28.1), creating the No. 1 rebounding margin in the country.

ABOUT LOUISVILLE (30-5): The Cardinals have turned up the defensive intensity during their winning streak, and coach Rick Pitino has harped on the number of deflections his team has produced. Pitino said the 58 deflections against Villanova in the Big East tournament marked a record for one of his teams, but the Cardinals shattered that with 67 on Thursday. "We all know what defense can do," guard Russ Smith said. "It got us to the Final Four last year. So we just stay solid and just keep playing our defense." Smith also led an impressive offensive performance against the Aggies, scoring 23 points as the Cardinals shot a season-best 57.4 percent.

TRENDS:

* Rams are 0-4 ATS in their last four Saturday games.
* Cardinals are 8-0 ATS in their last eight games overall.
* Over is 7-0-1 in Rams’ last eight overall.
* Over is 5-0 in Cardinals’ last five overall.

TIP-INS

1. Louisville is 42-8 all-time as the higher seed in NCAA Tournament games, but 5-11 as a No. 1 seed.

2. Colorado State is 20-2 when scoring 70 or more points and has the same record when leading at halftime.

3. The Cardinals are 26-0 this season when leading at halftime.

(12) Oregon Ducks vs. (4) Saint Louis Billikens (-3.5, 123.5)

Saint Louis will try to extend its best season in school history when the fourth-seeded Billikens play No. 12-seed Oregon in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday in San Jose, Calif. Saint Louis won a program-record 28th game Thursday, smothering New Mexico State 64-44. Many felt the Ducks were under-seeded after they won the Pac-12 tournament title, and they went out and proved it with a 68-55 second-round victory over Oklahoma State.

Saint Louis junior forward Dwayne Evans scored 24 points in the opener, the most in an NCAA Tournament game in program history. He leads the Billikens in scoring overall (14), surpassing his average in each of the last nine games. The Ducks feature a mix of talented freshmen, led by starting guards Damyean Dotson and Dominic Artis, and hungry seniors. Arsalan Kazemi, who grabbed 17 rebounds against Oklahoma State, leads the senior group and figures to be a tough matchup for the Billikens, who are 251st in the nation in rebounding.

TV: 7:10 p.m. ET, TBS.

ABOUT OREGON (27-8): The Ducks went 5-4 while Artis was sidelined with a foot injury during Pac-12 play. While that was a big loss for Oregon and likely cost the Ducks a regular-season conference title, it also gave junior point guard Johnathan Loyd a chance to shine. He initially struggled in the starting role, including three games in which he failed to make a field goal or register a point, but has become more comfortable of late, even with Artis back in the starting lineup. He scored a season-high 19 points in the Pac-12 tournament final against UCLA and played more minutes (25) against Oklahoma State than Artis (17).

ABOUT SAINT LOUIS (28-6): The Billkens made a trip to the Northwest back in November and lost 66-61 to Washington, a team Oregon beat twice during conference play. Two days later, coach Rick Majerus, who had been on leave since the summer because of heart problems, died. Saint Louis went on to win its next nine games and followed that with an 11-game winning streak. The Billikens knocked off a previously ranked Butler team three times this season and also swept both games against another ranked Atlantic-10 foe, Virginia Commonwealth. Saint Louis has been getting it done with defense - it is 15th in the nation in opponent scoring (57.7).

TRENDS:

* Billikens are 7-0 ATS in their last seven Saturday games.
* Under is 5-0 in Billikens’ last five overall.
* Over is 5-0 in Ducks’ last five Saturday games.
* Billikens are 4-0 ATS in their last four NCAA tourney games.

TIP-INS

1. The Pac-12 and Atlantic-10 conferences combined to go 7-0 in Thursday’s second round.

2. Oregon senior E.J. Singler on Thursday became the school’s all-time leading scorer (1,517 points), passing Aaron Brooks (1,511).

3. The 27 wins by the Ducks is third-most in program history.

(6) Memphis Tigers vs. (3) Michigan State Spartans (-5.5, 130.5)

No. 3 seed Michigan State looked dominant in an easy win over Valparaiso in its NCAA Tournament opener on Thursday. Things will get a little tougher on Saturday, when the Spartans take on No. 6 seed Memphis at Auburn Hills, Mich. The Tigers edged Saint Mary’s in their opener and will be able to match Michigan State athletically. Memphis has won seven straight games and showed on Thursday it can win at a slower pace.

The Tigers like to get out in the open floor and run up the score, but a 54-52 win over Saint Mary’s required more patience from the likes of point guard Joe Jackson and swingman Adonis Thomas. Michigan State has the type of Big Ten pedigree that can force teams to play at its pace and the NCAA Tournament pedigree with coach Tom Izzo that will always make it a contender. The Spartans have advanced to the Sweet Sixteen in four of the previous five seasons.

TV: 2:45 p.m. ET, CBS

ABOUT MEMPHIS (31-4): Tigers coach Josh Pastner picked up his first NCAA Tournament win at the school on Thursday and will be looking for its first win of the season over a ranked opponent on Saturday. Memphis fell at home to top-seeded Louisville on Dec. 15 in its only other chance. The Tigers also lost to their only Big Ten challenger - 84-75 to Minnesota in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in November. But Memphis built up plenty of confidence by ripping through Conference USA and had gone over 80 points in four straight games before slowing things down against the Gaels. Jackson led the way with 14 points on Thursday and does the bulk of the ball handling for a team that ranked fourth in the country in assists.

ABOUT MICHIGAN STATE (26-8): The Spartans blasted Valparaiso on Thursday, with only a 10-0 burst in the final two minutes pulling the Crusaders within the 65-54 final margin. Michigan State has more size on the interior than the Tigers and showed that off against Valparaiso with 23 points and 15 rebounds from senior forward Derrick Nix. “It’s my last go-around,“ Nix told reporters, “and I’m not ready to be done yet.” Adreian Payne, Nix and Branden Dawson along the front helped the Spartans control the glass on Thursday and open things up for freshman Gary Harris and junior leader Keith Appling on the outside. The Spartans do not have any players left over from the 2008 squad, which fell in the Sweet Sixteen to Memphis in the only other NCAA Tournament meeting between the schools.

TRENDS:

* Tigers are 7-0 ATS in their last seven Saturday games.
* Spartans are 0-4 ATS in their last four vs. Conference USA.
* Under is 6-1 in Spartans’ last seven overall.

TIP-INS

1. Izzo is 38-14 in the NCAA Tournament.

2. Memphis senior swingman D.J. Stephens blocked eight shots on Thursday and has swatted away 19 in the last three games.

3. Michigan State outrebounded Valparaiso 49-23 on Thursday and is 23-7 when controlling the glass.

Tokens
East Regional: Day 3 NCAAB Betting Preview

(12) California Golden Bears vs. (4) Syracuse Orange (-7.5, 124.5)

Twelfth-seeded California scored an upset over Nevada-Las Vegas in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday. The Golden Bears’ reward for that is a date Saturday in San Jose, Calif., with No. 4 seed Syracuse, which put on one of the most impressive displays of the entire second round in a demolition of Montana. The Orange nearly set a school record with their 81-34 victory and will be looking to book a trip to the Sweet Sixteen for the fourth time in five years.

California has the benefit of being within 50 miles of its campus, and a strong support from the crowd was evident in the 64-61 victory over the Rebels. Syracuse had little trouble with the environment against the Grizzlies, but will have to contend with a more partisan crowd when it faces the Golden Bears. The Orange are on a roll after reaching the finals of the Big East tournament and leaned on senior guard Brandon Triche for 20 points Thursday.

TV: 9:40 p.m. ET, TBS

ABOUT CALIFORNIA (21-11): The Golden Bears benefited from something that Syracuse has employed for years in the win over UNLV - a zone defense. California’s zone led to an 11:23 stretch in which the Rebels failed to score and the Golden Bears surged out to a nine-point lead before holding on in the final minutes. California was one of the last at-large teams to make it into the NCAA Tournament and has not advanced to the Sweet Sixteen since 1997. Coach Mike Montgomery’s team has a pair of guards in Justin Cobb and Allen Crabbe that average a combined 34.1 points and will try to push the tempo. Crabbe, who was voted Pac-12 Player of the Year, led the way with 19 points and nine rebounds on Thursday.

ABOUT SYRACUSE (27-9): The Orange’s zone confounded Montana into 20.4 percent shooting in a performance that nearly set Syracuse school records for dominance. The 47-point margin of victory was two off the team’s NCAA Tournament record of 49 in a first round victory over Brown in 1986, and it set an NCAA Tournament record for the biggest win by a team seeded third or lower. Triche and Michael Carter-Williams form a backcourt strong enough to challenge Cobb and Crabbe, and the Orange have plenty of size on the interior as well. Syracuse seems to be recovered from a rough stretch at the end of the regular season that saw it drop four of five - all to ranked teams.

TRENDS:

* Golden Bears are 5-0 ATS in their last five games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
* Under is 5-0 in Golden Bears’ last five Saturday games.
* Under is 4-0 in Orange’s last four games following a win of more than 20 points.

TIP-INS

1. The Golden Bears have held five of their last seven opponents to less than 40 percent from the field.

2. Syracuse has never faced California in the NCAA Tournament and has not faced a Pac-12 team since beating Arizona State in the second round in 2009.

3. Orange F C.J. Fair is 9-of-12 from 3-point range in his last five games.

(6) Butler Bulldogs vs. (3) Marquette Golden Eagles (-2, 126)

After narrowly avoiding a second-round upset bid from Davidson, No. 3 Marquette plays No. 6 Butler on Saturday in the third round of the NCAA Tournament in Lexington, Ky. Vander Blue scored seven points in the final 1:33 - including the game-winning layup with one second left - as the Golden Eagles came back from a six-point deficit with 1:10 left to beat the Wildcats 59-58. Blue also hit a game-winning shot in Marquette’s regular-season finale against St. John’s to clinch a share of the Big East regular-season title. The Golden Eagles have won five of their last six games, but will have their hands full facing a Bulldogs team loaded with postseason experience.

Butler staved off 11th-seeded Bucknell 68-56, regularly double-teaming Bison star center Mike Muscala. Andrew Smith helped hold Muscala to nine points on 4-of-17 shooting and controlled the paint with 14 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. After one year away from the Big Dance, Butler is attempting to make its third Sweet 16 in four seasons - losing in back-to-back national championship games in 2010 and 2011. The Bulldogs beat Marquette 72-71 on Rotnei Clarke's 3-pointer at the buzzer on Nov. 19 at the Maui Invitational earlier this season.

TV: 7:45 p.m. ET, CBS

ABOUT MARQUETTE (24-8): Blue (14.4 points) has registered 16-plus points in three of his last four games, stepping up as the Golden Eagles’ go-to scoring option late in the fourth quarter. He and Jamil Wilson (9.6 points) combined for three 3-pointers in the final minute against Davidson, with Wilson’s second trey in the span pulling Marquette within one point with 10 seconds left. Davante Gardner adds 11.4 points on 58.4 percent shooting for the Golden Eagles, who are playing in their seventh consecutive NCAA Tournament and are looking for their third straight Sweet 16 appearance.

ABOUT BUTLER (27-8): The sharpshooter Clarke (16.7 points) scored 11 of his 17 points against Bucknell in the final 8:44, helping the Bulldogs recover from a six-point, second-half deficit. Clarke shoots 40.7 percent from deep and 88.2 percent from the foul line, scoring 20 points on Marquette earlier this season. Smith (11.1 points, 6.0 rebounds) could cause Marquette problems in the frontcourt, stretching Gardner with his speed and aggression on the boards. Roosevelt Jones (10.2 points) put up 14 points, five rebounds and four assists against Bucknell.

TRENDS:

* Bulldogs are 0-5-1 ATS in their last six Saturday games.
* Golden Eagles are 0-4 ATS in their last four games overall.
* Under is 4-1 in Bulldogs’ last five Saturday games.

TIP-INS

1. Butler has won 11 of its last 13 NCAA Tournament games - the two losses coming in the 2010 and 2011 title games.

2. The Bulldogs sealed Thursday's victory by shooting 25-for-28 from the foul line, including 18-for-20 in the last 4:43.

3. Blue scored 21 points and 3-for-5 from beyond the arc in Marquette’s loss to Butler earlier this season.

Tokens
West Regional: Day 3 NCAAB Betting Preview

(9) Wichita State Shockers vs. (1) Gonzaga Bulldogs (-6.5, 129)

A shaky first outing was survived and top-seeded Gonzaga hopes to give a much stronger performance against ninth-seeded Wichita State with an NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 berth on the line Saturday in Salt Lake City. The top-ranked Bulldogs were given quite a scare by 16th-seeded Southern and didn’t secure the 64-58 victory until the final half-minute. The Shockers had a much easier time by routing Pittsburgh 73-55. Wichita State lacks star power, but is strong defensively.

The Zags put on brave faces after Thursday’s victory despite being one of the few No. 1 seeds severely challenged by a 16 seed. “Any win in the tournament is a good win,” junior forward Kelly Olynyk said after the team’s 15th consecutive victory. “So we have to kind of take that into consideration and then moving forward, we’ve got some stuff we can work on.” The Shockers aren’t intimidated by Gonzaga and are planning for a fierce battle. “Playing angry, toughness, going out and give it your all,” senior guard Malcolm Armstead said. “Not leaving anything on the floor. You’ve got to leave it all on the floor at the end of the day.”

TV: 8:40 p.m. ET, TNT

ABOUT GONZAGA (32-2): Olynyk started slow against Southern before cranking it up and scoring 17 of his 21 points in the second half. The West Coast Conference Player of the Year took a more aggressive approach over the final 20 minutes and it paid off. “In the second half, I really just had to focus on finishing plays,” said Olynyk, who also grabbed 10 rebounds for his fifth career double-double. Bulldogs coach Mark Few said there was extra emphasis placed on working the ball into Olynyk. Sophomore guard Kevin Pangos also played well and made four 3-pointers en route to 16 points.

ABOUT WICHITA STATE (27-8): Armstead had 22 points and junior forward Cleanthony Early added 21 against Pittsburgh, but a player who had only six points also was one of the heroes. Sophomore guard Tekele Cotton pestered Panthers’ leading scorer Tray Woodall to two points on 1-of-12 shooting and recorded a career-best five steals. “Malcolm called him a free safety - I think he’s more of a strong safety,” Shockers coach Gregg Marshall said. “I think he’s going to come up and help in run support. He’s a tremendous athlete.” Senior forward Carl Hall (12.7 points, 7.1 rebounds) will be a key player against a Gonzaga squad with a strong frontcourt. Hall has posted five consecutive double-digit outings and has 43 blocks, second on Wichita State behind senior center Ehimen Orukpe’s 54.

TRENDS:

* Under is 4-0 in Bulldogs’ last four neutral site games.
* Over is 4-1 in Shockers’ last five overall.
* Bulldogs are 12-3-1 ATS in their last 16 games following an ATS loss.

TIP-INS

1. Wichita State is 1-6 when playing the nation’s top-ranked team.

2. The Shockers are aiming to advance to the Sweet 16 for the first time since 2006.

3. The Bulldogs made eight 3-pointers against Southern and are 12-0 when making eight or more in a game this season.

(14) Harvard Crimson vs. (6) Arizona Wildcats (-10, 132.5)

Harvard will try to become the third No. 14 seed to advance to the Sweet 16 when it plays sixth-seeded Arizona on Saturday in the third round of the NCAA Tournament in Salt Lake City, Utah. Chattanooga in 1997 was the last No. 14 seed to win its first two games. The Crimson have a shot if they play like they did in their tournament opener, shooting 52.4 percent in the 68-62 victory against third-seeded New Mexico. The Wildcats looked strong as well, shooting 56.9 percent in an 81-64 victory against Belmont.

Arizona should be able to take advantage of its interior height against Harvard. New Mexico 7-foot sophomore center Alex Kirk put up 22 points and 12 rebounds against the undersized front line for the Crimson. Arizona has its own 7-footer in the middle, freshman Kaleb Tarczewski, with freshmen forwards Grant Jerrett (6-10) and Brandon Ashley (6-8) coming off the bench. Kenyatta Smith, the 6-8 sophomore center for Harvard, needs to avoid the foul trouble that kept him on the bench for long stretches against New Mexico.

TV: 6:10 p.m. ET, TNT

ABOUT ARIZONA (26-7): Mark Lyons had his best game in six weeks in the tournament opener, scoring a team-high 23 points. The senior transfer from Xavier has been playing out of position at point guard the entire season, but appears to be more comfortable with the ball-handling responsibilities. He hasn’t turned the ball over more than twice in the last three games, something he struggled with at times this season. His defense will be just as important against the Crimson, who are sixth in the nation in 3-point shooting (40.3 percent).

ABOUT HARVARD (20-9): Arizona and Harvard haven’t played since 1977 but that doesn’t mean some players haven’t crossed paths. Arizona has six players with Southern California ties and Harvard has two; Smith and Wesley Saunders, the team’s leading scorer (16.5). Saunders, a 6-5 sophomore guard, has reached double figures in scoring in every game this season, including a team-high 18 points in the second-round upset against New Mexico. Another player that can’t be left alone is shooting guard Laurent Rivard, who’s shooting 40.9 percent from 3-point range.

TRENDS:

* Crimson are 5-0 ATS in their last five games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.
* Wildcats are 4-0 ATS in their last four NCAA Tournament games.
* Under is 22-4 in Wildcats’ last 26 Saturday games.

TIP-INS

1. Arizona senior F Solomon Hill is eight points from moving into 20th in career scoring at the school and three rebounds from moving into 10th. Six former Wildcats rank in the top 20 in career scoring and top 10 in rebounding.

2. Of the 210 shots Rivard has taken this season, 193 have come from 3-point range.

3. Arizona is 26-5 all-time against teams seeded 10th through 16th in the NCAA Tournament.

Tokens
South Regional: VCU vs. Michigan Betting Preview

(5) VCU Rams vs. (4) Michigan Wolverines (-3.5, 142.5)

Fourth-seeded Michigan meets No. 5 Virginia Commonwealth on Saturday in an NCAA Tournament third-round game at Auburn Hills, Mich., that features two up-tempo, guard-oriented teams. The Wolverines contained Nate Wolters and South Dakota State in their second-round matchup 71-56. Tim Hardaway Jr. and Glenn Robinson III scored 21 points apiece for Michigan, which shot 51 percent and 9-for-20 from downtown. Big Ten Player of the Year Trey Burke managed a season-low six points on 2-of-12 shooting, but will have a chance to redeem himself if the Wolverines can outwork the Rams' “havoc” defense.

VCU rattled Akron in its second-round matchup, forcing 21 turnovers and holding the Zips to 34.9 percent shooting and 1-of-13 from long range en route to an 88-42 rout. Coach Shaka Smart’s pressure defense places them first in the nation in turnover margin at plus-8.2. The Rams, who became the first No. 11 seed in tournament history to reach the Final Four two years ago, are also 11th in the nation in scoring at 78 points.

TV: 12:15 p.m. ET, CBS

ABOUT MICHIGAN (27-7): Burke leads the Wolverines in scoring (18.8) and assists (6.7). He and Hardaway (14.8 points) help Michigan match up well with VCU. That strong guard play - the duo averages only four turnovers combined - matches up well against the Rams’ pressure. Also in the Wolverines’ favor is the location of the game, a little more than 50 miles from campus. The Wolverines, who were 17-1 at home this season, haven’t made the Sweet 16 since 1994.

ABOUT VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH (27-8): Treveon Graham leads four Rams players who average double figures with 15.2 points and 5.9 rebounds. Juvonte Reddic (14.6) poured in 21 points against Akron while Troy Daniels (12.4) led VCU with 23 points on 6-of-11 shooting from beyond the arc. Rob Brandenberg scores 10.5 points for the Rams, who also lead the nation in steals at 11.8. The Rams have forced 21.7 turnovers in victories this season, but only 14 in losses.

TRENDS:

* Rams are 12-1 ATS in their last 13 NCAA Tournament games.
* Wolverines are 1-7 ATS in their last eight Saturday games.
* Under is 5-1 in Rams’ last six neutral site games.

TIP-INS:

1. Auburn Hills is the closest to campus Michigan has ever played in the NCAA Tournament.

2. Before the last game, Burke had scored in double figures in every game this year and at least 18 in each of his previous 10. He also said his back is a "little sore" after taking a tumble on the floor during Thursday's win. Burke said it will not keep him out of the lineup Saturday.

3. After reaching the Final Four in 2011, VCU knocked off No. 5 Wichita State 62-59 as a No. 12 seed last year before pushing No. 4 Indiana in a 63-61 loss.

Tokens
DCI College Basketball
The Daniel Curry Index

03/23/13 Predictions

Season
Straight Up: 3866-1346 (.742)
ATS: 1875-1892 (.498)
ATS Vary Units: 5213-5518 (.486)
Over/Under: 606-565 (.518)
Over/Under Vary Units: 699-684 (.505)

NCAA Tournament

3rd Round at EnergySolutions Arena, Salt Lake City, UT

Gonzaga 68, Wichita State 61
Arizona 71, Harvard 61

3rd Round at HP Pavilion, San Jose, CA

Saint Louis 67, Oregon 59
Syracuse 63, California 59

3rd Round at Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY

Louisville 75, Colorado State 59
Marquette vs. Butler: TOO CLOSE TO CALL

3rd Round at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, MI

Michigan State 68, Memphis 64
Michigan 73, Vcu 71

National Invitation Tournament

2nd Round at Tuscaloosa, AL

ALABAMA 66, Stanford 60

CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament

2nd Round at campus sites
EVANSVILLE 74, Eastern Kentucky 67
EAST CAROLINA 70, Rider 68
YOUNGSTOWN STATE 74, Canisius 73
BRADLEY 73, Tulane 71
NORTHERN IOWA 68, Uic 55
WEBER STATE 72, Air Force 65

Tokens
DCI Pro Basketball
The Daniel Curry Index

03/23/13 Predictions

Season
Straight Up: 673-320 (.678)
ATS: 537-480 (.528)
ATS Vary Units: 1349-1195 (.530)
Over/Under: 520-497 (.511)
Over/Under Vary Units: 696-640 (.521)

Detroit vs. CHARLOTTE: TOO CLOSE TO CALL
NEW YORK 102, Toronto 92
Indiana vs. CHICAGO: TOO CLOSE TO CALL
MEMPHIS 93, Boston 86
DENVER 119, Sacramento 103
L.A. CLIPPERS 101, Brooklyn 92
GOLDEN STATE 101, Washington 96

Tokens
DCI Pro Hockey
The Daniel Curry Index

03/23/13 Predictions

Season: 166-113 (.595)

OTTAWA 3, Tampa Bay 2
MINNESOTA 3, San Jose 2
LOS ANGELES 3, Vancouver 2
Boston vs. TORONTO: TOO CLOSE TO CALL
MONTREAL 4, Buffalo 2
NEW JERSEY 3, Florida 2
NASHVILLE 3, Columbus 2
DALLAS 3, Colorado 2
St. Louis 3, EDMONTON 2

Tokens
Mighty Quinn

Mighty just missed with Indiana (-21 1/2) Friday.

Saturday it’s Michigan State. The deficit is 115 sirignanos.

Tokens
Free Selection from Arthur Ralph Sports

Our Bonus Plays are 1004-745 (57 + %) over the last 4 1/2 years !

Free winner Sat Evansville -4

Tokens
[h=1]NCAA Basketball Picks[/h] [h=2]VCU vs. Michigan[/h] The Wolverines look to take advantage of a VCU team that is 4-10 ATS in its last 14 games versus teams with a winning record. Michigan is the pick (-3 1/2) according to Dunkel, which has the Wolverines favored by 5 1/2. Dunkel Pick: Michigan (-3 1/2). Here are all of today's games.
SATURDAY, MARCH 23
Time Posted: 8:00 a.m. EST
Game 515-516: Butler vs. Marquette (7:45 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Butler 67.652; Marquette 66.537
Dunkel Line: Butler by 1; 129
Vegas Line: Marquette by 2; 125 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Butler (+2); Over
Game 517-518: Colorado State vs. Louisville (5:15 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Colorado State 64.212; Louisville 78.407
Dunkel Line: Louisville by 14; 132
Vegas Line: Louisville by 10 1/2; 134 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Louisville (-10 1/2); Under
Game 519-520: Memphis vs. Michigan State (2:45 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Memphis 68.525; Michigan State 72.498
Dunkel Line: Michigan State by 4; 138
Vegas Line: Michigan State by 6; 131
Dunkel Pick: Memphis (+6); Over
Game 521-522: VCU vs. Michigan (12:15 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: VCU 67.852; Michigan 73.313
Dunkel Line: Michigan by 5 1/2; 139
Vegas Line: Michigan by 3 1/2; 143
Dunkel Pick: Michigan (-3 1/2); Under
Game 523-524: Wichita State vs. Gonzaga (8:40 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Wichita State 67.345; Gonzaga 71.285
Dunkel Line: Gonzaga by 4; 132
Vegas Line: Gonzaga by 6 1/2; 128 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Wichita State (+6 1/2); Over
Game 525-526: Harvard vs. Arizona (6:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Harvard 58.400; Arizona 65.486
Dunkel Line: Arizona by 7; 130
Vegas Line: Arizona by 10; 132 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Harvard (+10); Under
Game 527-528: Oregon vs. St. Louis (7:10 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Oregon 68.413; St. Louis 70.924
Dunkel Line: St. Louis by 2 1/2; 129
Vegas Line: St. Louis by 4; 124
Dunkel Pick: Oregon (+4); Over
Game 529-530: California vs. Syracuse (9:40 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: California 62.529; Syracuse 72.131
Dunkel Line: Syracuse by 9 1/2; 122
Vegas Line: Syracuse by 7; 125 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Syracuse (-7); Under
Game 531-532: Stanford at Alabama (12:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Stanford 67.438; Alabama 68.737
Dunkel Line: Alabama by 1 1/2; 132
Vegas Line: Alabama by 4; 128 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Stanford (+4); Over
Game 537-538: Rider at East Carolina (7:20 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Rider 55.864; East Carolina 59.233
Dunkel Line: East Carolina by 3 1/2; 138
Vegas Line: East Carolina by 4 1/2; 143 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Rider (+4 1/2); Under
Game 539-540: Eastern Kentucky at Evansville (1:30 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Eastern Kentucky 59.388; Evansville 62.027
Dunkel Line: Evansville by 2 1/2; 149
Vegas Line: Evansville by 5; 143 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Eastern Kentucky (+5); Over
Game 541-542: Tulane at Bradley (8:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Tulane 55.865; Bradley 56.977
Dunkel Line: Bradley by 1; 141
Vegas Line: Bradley by 2 1/2; 145
Dunkel Pick: Tulane (+2 1/2); Under
Game 543-544: Illinois-Chicago at Northern Iowa (8:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Illinois-Chicago 53.118; Northern Iowa 63.399
Dunkel Line: Northern Iowa by 10 1/2; 133
Vegas Line: Northern Iowa by 13; 129 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Illinois-Chicago (+13); Over
Game 545-546: Canisius at Youngstown State (7:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Canisius 52.995; Youngstown State 56.322
Dunkel Line: Youngstown State by 3 1/2; 147
Vegas Line: Youngstown State by 2; 152
Dunkel Pick: Youngstown State (-2); Under
Game 547-548: Air Force at Weber State (9:00 p.m. EST)
Dunkel Ratings: Air Force 57.702; Weber State 66.715
Dunkel Line: Weber State by 9; 133
Vegas Line: Weber State by 8; 138 1/2
Dunkel Pick: Weber State (-8); Under

Tokens
Where the Action is: Pac-12 Success is Big for Reno Books

Saturday’s schedule kicks off the Round of 32 with eight games on the betting board. Action has already started to pour in on those matchups, forcing books to juggle their odds. We talk to oddsmakers online and in Nevada about the most notable adjustments:

VCU Rams vs. Michigan Wolverines – Open: -2.5, Move: -3.5, Move: -3, Move: -3.5

Sharp bettors jumped on Michigan at -2.5 and pushed the spread all the way to -3.5 before bettors came back and bought VCU, settling the line at -3. Now, the public is having its say and has moved the spread back to -3.5. The No. 5 Rams were impressive in their beating of No. 12 Akron, forcing 21 turnovers. But now, VCU takes on the No. 4 Wolverines, who take care of the basketball and are loaded with star power.

“VCU is going to garner a lot of action because of their previous tournament success and Shaka Smart’s great ATS record in this event (8-1 ATS),” Michael Stewart, an oddsmaker for CarbonSports.ag, told Covers. “But Michigan is a very battled-tested team from the Big Ten, by far the best conference in the nation and they’ll generate a lot of action as well.”

California Golden Bears vs. Syracuse Orange – Open: -7.5, Move: -8

Cal pretty much gets a home game against the No. 4 Orange, playing this Round of 32 matchup in San Jose. The Bears have been a popular bet with sportsbooks in Nevada, especially in Reno, due to the closeness of the Golden State.

Steve Mikkelson, sportsbook manager at the Atlantis Casino in Reno, told Covers that the proximity of California made for a huge handle for No. 12 Cal’s upset over No. 5 UNLV Thursday and that he expects the Syracuse game to be the deciding factor Saturday, with the majority of bets and parlays going into that 9:40 p.m. ET tipoff. The Orange have jumped half a point to -8 at most markets.

“With the closeness to California, a lot of our guests are fans of Cal, and UCLA and those Pac-12 teams,” says Mikkelson. “The further they go in the tournament the better. If those teams were to be the Cinderellas, along with all those big-name schools advancing, that would be ideal.”

Butler Bulldogs vs. Marquette Golden Eagles – Open: -2, Mover: -1.5, Move: -2.5

CarbonSports.ag took a big sharp play on Butler as soon as betting opened on this Round of 32 game, dropping the spread a full point. But after a thrilling comeback win Thursday, public money is convinced Marquette has another Sweet 16 run in it. It's been nothing but Golden Eagles action since the move but oddsmakers expect that to change come gameday.

“I believe we’re going to see a lot of public support for Butler as they’ve been ‘tournament darlings’ they past few years and are fan favorites,” says Stewart. “I see this line closing at the opening number of Marquette -2.”

Oregon Ducks vs. Saint Louis Billikens – Open: -3.5, Move: -4, Move: -3.5

This line has bounced between -3.5 and -4 with early action taking the No. 4 Billikens and sharp money pouncing on the No. 12 Ducks when it moved up. Since coming back to -3.5, books are getting good two-way action.

“Saint Louis has been hot with our guests and they’ve been riding them through the conference and NCAA tournaments,” says Mikkelson. “The public, for the first time all season, has really gotten on them.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamesbriana
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com