Forum: OFFSHORE FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: Who is the greatest baseball player you've ever seen play?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    willie mays

RX Junior

Steve Garvey.

Quote Originally Posted by aceduecetrey View Post
    I am a Cardinal fan from the 80's so my favorite player was and always will be Ozzie Smith and I love Albert, but I got to say that Ricky Henderson was the best I ever saw play. Hate the way he said that shit after he beat Brocks record, but man could he play.
    Kinda forgot about Ozzie...he was a bad mofo.

In order...

Willie Mays
    Willie Mays
    Willie Mays
    Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by aceduecetrey View Post
    I am a Cardinal fan from the 80's so my favorite player was and always will be Ozzie Smith and I love Albert, but I got to say that Ricky Henderson was the best I ever saw play. Hate the way he said that shit after he beat Brocks record, but man could he play.
    Speaking of the Cardinals , one of the greatest performances i saw live was at a Cards/Braves game , Bake McBride lead off with a single , he then stole 2nd , then stole 3rd , then advanced home on a wild pitch all while the 2nd hitter was still batting ........ talk about manufacturing runs.
    I used to have blue eyes and a red pecker , now i have red eyes and a blue pecker.

Pedro Martinez or Barry Bonds.

I must have seen 20-30 Pedro starts in person, and in 99-00 I'm surprised anyone even got on base against him, he was virtually unhittable.

There's no such thing as leftover crack cut across shorty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camy View Post
    Attended numerous games (60 or more) at Fenway when Yaz was a fixture. His typical at-bat would include swinging as hard as possible and grounding out to the 2nd baseman. It's the one thing he did more often than any other. There was a lengthy stretch (2 or 3 years) where the fans got tired of it and (noticeably) booed him every time it happened. They could accept grounding out, but doing it while constantly swinging for the fences got to a point where it was no longer tolerated.

In terms of greatest that I've seen? At the time, given the season he was having, I saw Denny McClain win his 24th (on his way to 31 wins) at Fenway in August of 1968. I believe it was a shutout.

RX Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by RED EYE View Post
    Griffey
    Bonds
    Saw Mariners play the Giants in Seattle. My top 2 in person...

Bonds in batting practice, he was a huge asshole on roids but man that was something to see.

RX Junior
    Yeah, now that you mention it, Yaz was a fixture who grounded out to second too much.

Interesting nobody mentioned Derek Jeter...

RX Junior
    Pete Rose

RX SemiGod
    Quote Originally Posted by joebatters View Post
    Interesting nobody mentioned Derek Jeter...

Very good player ..........dose not compare to some of the class mentioned tho ......IMO .

Quote Originally Posted by doubledeuce22 View Post
    Pedro Martinez or Barry Bonds.

I must have seen 20-30 Pedro starts in person, and in 99-00 I'm surprised anyone even got on base against him, he was virtually unhittable.
    For 3-4 years he was the best pitcher I have ever seen....

Mickey Mantle with no doubt about it!

RX Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by silver7 View Post
    Ted, Micky, Joe D, missed Willie my fault. Yrs later Nolen, Rod C & Killer!!
    I agree on the 1st two, but my 3rd would be the say hey kid & the 4th would be Roberto Clemente. Williams is the greatest hitter i ever saw as he had such great eyesight that he said he could see the seams on the ball, The Mick could do it all, hit, run & throw before he started having problems with his legs, i'll never forget the year when maris & mick were hitting all those home runs along with cash & colavito of the tigers. Mays & Clemente were also all around players that were very good, i had the good fortune of watching them all play in person, many good memories from what i call the Golden Era Of Baseball, May i add that these players were all steroid free when they played, but some did drink there share of alcohol, but that sure as hell never helped [as steroids did] in their performances

RX Semi-God
    I'm going to get flamed for this but one of the best pure baseball players I've ever seen in person or live on television is Ichiro Suzuki. I only wish he could've played in the bigs since he was young.

Just a tremendous and accurate arm in the outfield. Could track down any long fly ball. The quickest man down to first I've ever seen. Hand eye coordination second to none and could put the ball wherever and whenever he wanted. An amazing hitter. No power but an amazing hitter.

During his rookie year he won the batting title, ROY, MVP, Gold Glove and led the league in stolen bases. As a matter of fact, during his rookie year he led the league in hitting and stolen bases which hadn't been done since Jackie Robinson in 1949.

Quote Originally Posted by sparticus View Post
    I agree on the 1st two, but my 3rd would be the say hey kid & the 4th would be Roberto Clemente. Williams is the greatest hitter i ever saw as he had such great eyesight that he said he could see the seams on the ball, The Mick could do it all, hit, run & throw before he started having problems with his legs, i'll never forget the year when maris & mick were hitting all those home runs along with cash & colavito of the tigers. Mays & Clemente were also all around players that were very good, i had the good fortune of watching them all play in person, many good memories from what i call the Golden Era Of Baseball, May i add that these players were all steroid free when they played, but some did drink there share of alcohol, but that sure as hell never helped [as steroids did] in their performances
    You can throw in Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson also....the 60's and 70's were quite an era....

RX Junior
    Roberto Alomar great skills very smart player

The season Bonds hit all the home runs was incredible. Simply couldn't throw the ball by him. Reminded my a lot of Rod Carew at the plate. Not only could you not fool Rod at the plate...even the very best pitchers he could place that ball in play just where he wanted to hit it. And he played before steroids came in view. If he had more power we'd have spoke about him like Bonds and McGuire.

Quote Originally Posted by tatehill2000 View Post
    George brett
    Brett for me also

Pitcher: Greg Maddux

RX Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by VIEJO DINOSAUR View Post
    You can throw in Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson also....the 60's and 70's were quite an era....
    VJ, Yep i saw them play & you are correct they rank right up there,as both sure could hit the cover off the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by CHOPTALK View Post
    Kimbrel
    He is now a WS Champion!!!

RX Junior
    Rod Carew