"Best Player In NBA" Derrick Rose Out Indefinitely After Injuring & Needing Surgery On Other Knee (DONE FOR SEASON 11/25/13)

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
I'm sure some of you are laughing at the "Best player in the NBA" title, but that was Rose's claim only a few months ago and I chuckled to myself.

I feel somewhat bad for the guy, but I'm just wondering if the excuses are going to start coming in for him such as "If he would have stayed healthy, he would have been the best in the league".

I hope that's not the case, because we can use could've-should've theory with guys like Gred Oden too...

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Derrick Rose out indefinitely

ESPN.com news services

Chicago Bulls superstar point guard Derrick Rose needs surgery on his injured right knee and is out indefinitely.
The Bulls updated Rose's status Saturday, one day after the former league MVP suffered the injury against the Portland Trail Blazers.

Rose underwent an MRI in Los Angeles on Saturday, a test that revealed a medial meniscus tear in his knee.
The three-time All-Star sat out last season recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Now, it's his other knee that's injured.
The injury occurred in the third quarter against the Trail Blazers.
Rose lost his footing while trying to change direction to get back on defense when Nicolas Batum stole a pass from Joakim Noah and started the other way. Rose limped across the court and couldn't put any weight on his knee. After the Blazers scored, he came out of the game during a timeout.
It didn't appear there was any contact on the play. Rose was unable to return and was on crutches afterward. He will not accompany the Bulls for the remaining four games on their six-game trip.
The Bulls will face the Los Angeles Clippers Sunday without Rose.
"I feel bad for him," said Clippers forward Blake Griffin who suffered a meniscus tear in July 2012 during Olympic training. "You never want to see somebody go down. Obviously, I've experienced a couple of knee injuries, including the meniscus. The good news is that it's not nearly as bad as the one that he just went through. I wish him the best."
Even though the injury isn't as serious as a torn ACL, losing Rose for any chunk of time is obviously a huge blow for a team expecting to challenge LeBron James and the Miami Heat for supremacy in the Eastern Conference with its franchise player back.
The Bulls (6-5) were even eyeing a championship run for the first time since the Michael Jordan-Scottie Pippen era.
Now, there's a big cloud hanging over the franchise. And once again, it centers on Rose.

The latest injury rekindled memories of the 2012 playoff opener against Philadelphia, when he crumpled to the court near the end of the game with a torn ACL in his left knee. That sent the top-seeded Bulls toward a first-round exit and put them in a holding pattern last season while their star recuperated.
Many thought he would return at some point, particularly after he started practicing without restrictions. Instead, his recovery took on almost a circus-like feel.
Fans saw him shooting and dunking before games last season and wondered why he wasn't playing. Meanwhile, the Bulls fought injuries and illnesses on the way to 45 wins and a first-round playoff victory over Brooklyn before falling to Miami.
Along the way, his image took a hit.
Adidas released videos documenting his progress, but Rose mostly stayed in the background, saying little about his recovery. That changed midway through the season.
There was also speculation of a rift with the organization after older brother Reggie Rose ripped management for standing pat at the trade deadline, but Derrick Rose denied that.
All those issues faded into the background with Rose back this season. He had insisted he was returning better than ever, had no doubts he would regain his MVP form, but he was off to an up-and-down start after a dominant preseason.
A sore hamstring caused him to miss a game, and he is shooting just 35.4 percent. He was looking better the past two games, with 19 points in a loss at Denver and 20 against Portland

Tokens
yeah, I'm kind of bummed and not even a Chicago fan.

Really enjoyed his game.

Hope the guy can get through this but it will be tough.

Tokens
hoping he recovers, and doesnt struggle with it like Brandon Roy. I am not a Bulls fan but liked watching him play also

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Derrick Rose done for season

ESPN.com news services

Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose will miss the rest of the season after undergoing knee surgery Monday, the team announced.
The 2010-11 league MVP had the medial meniscus repaired in his right knee at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.
The surgery was to be performed by Dr. Brian Cole, who performed the ACL surgery on Rose's left knee in May 2012.

Heading into the procedure, there appeared to be two options for repairing Rose's knee. He could have had the meniscus, or a portion of it, removed and been back on the floor in a matter of weeks. Having the meniscus reattached, which appears to be the route Rose and the Bulls took, sidelines him four to six months.
While the first procedure would have put him back on the court sooner, many players who have had that procedure, including Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade, say that it causes more problems later in a player's career.
It appears that with the 25-year-old Rose the organization chose to take the longer approach with the hope that he can return to being the same player as before his first knee injury.
"Like Bulls fans everywhere, I was heartbroken when I heard of Derricks injury," Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf said in a statement. "We are happy to know that, according to his doctors, his surgery was successful, and in time, Derrick is expected to make a full recovery. Everyone at the Bulls knows firsthand how extremely hard Derrick worked to return to the court this year, and I have no doubt he will do the same with regards to his recovery from this injury. Despite Derricks absence, this is still a good team. I know from last year, this team and coaching staff will continue to make our fans proud."
Before the surgery, coach Tom Thibodeau said the team felt bad for Rose after all the work he had put in to return.
"I talked to him at length last night. He's in good spirits," he said. "About as well as can be expected under the circumstances. And he's already thinking about his rehab, and typical Derrick -- concerned about his team, his teammates. But that being said, we can't feel sorry for ourselves. We're the Chicago Bulls. We have one goal, that's to win. And I believe we have the personnel in that locker room to get it done."
Thibodeau said he expects Rose to make a full recovery but acknowledged there is disappointment throughout the locker room.
"There's disappointment for Derrick because of the type of person he is," Thibodeau said. "And he's such a great teammate along with being a great player. But I think we have an understanding of what we need to do. We know we can't feel sorry for ourselves. So we have to circle the wagons and then go out there and get the job done."

Robert Smith, who was Rose's coach at Simeon Career Academy in Chicago, said the high school held a moment of silence Monday to pray for Rose's recovery.
"Watching him the last couple games, seeing him start to turn the corner and have another freak injury like that, that's hard," Smith said. "But Derrick is strong. He'll get back in there and get his body right to be able to get back there and play."

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Bulls need Rose to find consistency[/h][h=3]Point guard not playing like MVP, but rather like a sophomore sixth man[/h]
By Kevin Pelton | ESPN Insider
in.gif

When I ranked the Eastern Conference's top point guards last week, someone was conspicuously missing. Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose, four years removed from winning league MVP, appeared in none of the leaderboards.
After nearly two seasons lost to knee injuries, Rose has demonstrated in the past two months or so that he can stay healthy. But he hasn't demonstrated that he belongs with the NBA's best point guards in terms of performance.
What sort of company is Rose keeping in terms of production? Consider this blind player-comparison:<offer></offer>
[h=4]East PG Playmaking Stats[/h]
PPGRPGAPG2P%3P%TS%UsgPER
A17.03.04.9.473.254.488.31714.9
B16.92.95.2.473.261.494.30315.1

<thead style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: transparent;">
</thead>

Player A, as you might guess, is Rose. Player B, who has put up eerily similar numbers this season, is Tony Wroten. Needless to say, to advance deep into the postseason, the Bulls will need Rose playing more like an MVP and less like the Philadelphia 76ers' sixth man.
[h=3]Struggling from beyond the arc[/h]
In truth, Rose's 2-point percentage isn't out of line with the rest of his career. He has made 48.5 percent of his 2-pointers overall, and was just 48.1 percent during his MVP season. That's a difference of two shots over 28 games from his current rate.
Instead, the larger issue is from longer range. Rose was a poor 3-point shooter when he entered the NBA, and his rise to stardom was facilitated in part by an improving jumper. After shooting 24.2 percent from beyond the arc in his first two seasons, Rose got to an acceptable 33.2 percent in 2010-11. This season, he's making just 25.4 percent of his 3s, but the damage is far worse than Rose's younger days because he's taking so many more of his shots from outside -- a career-high 5.1 per game. Rose's current 3-point accuracy would be the worst ever for a player attempting at least five 3s per game, and by a sizable margin over Jason Williams in 1999-2000 (28.7 percent).

While Rose worked hard on his shot while coming back from his knee surgeries, he has developed bad mechanical habits. He tends to get off balance while rising, and his flat arc causes misses both long and short depending on the shot distance and how high he jumps. These problems are exacerbated when Rose shoots off the dribble. According to Synergy Sports, Rose has shot an effective 44.3 percent on catch-and-shoot jumpers (weighting 3s as 1.5 field goals), but just 29.2 percent on pull-up attempts.
The good news, as I noted this past summer, is that players coming back from ACL injuries often tend to struggle with their outside shooting before improving. This hasn't happened yet with Rose, who has recently suffered through his worst slump. Rose has shot 5-of-29 (17.2 percent) on 3s this month and made just 35.8 percent of his 2s.
Unfortunately, the scouting report might be out already. One of Rose's best recent games was a Dec. 23 win at Washington, when he had 25 points on 10-of-17 shooting. On Jan. 9, the next meeting between the two teams, who play Wednesday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN), the Wizards adjusted by going under screens and daring Rose to shoot off the dribble. He had 19 points on 8-of-19 shooting and Washington won going away.
[h=3]Driving selectively[/h]

The other difference between the current Rose and the MVP version is free throw rate. In 2010-11, Rose averaged 6.6 foul shots per game. This season, that's down to 4.7 even though Rose is actually averaging more field goal attempts (19.6 versus 19.0). Rose hasn't been getting to the basket as much, possibly part of a conscious strategy to avoid the kind of contact that caused his past knee injuries. He told reporters as much while playing for USA Basketball last summer.
"I think you will see that next year," Rose said in July. "Just trying to [keep] people off my body. I'm using a lot of floaters, using a lot of pull-ups, stuff like that so that I won't get touched as much."
But that mindset of self-preservation seems to disappear when Chicago needs Rose most. As Grantland's Zach Lowe has shared, SportVU tracking numbers show Rose driving to the basket more frequently in the fourth quarter than the rest of the game. In Quarters 1-3, Rose averages 7.5 drives per 36 minutes. That mark surges to 10.7 drives per 36 minutes in the fourth quarter, a rate that would put Rose among the 10 most frequent drivers in the league (minimum 175 total drives), according to NBA.com/Stats.

We've seen the old Rose re-emerge and take over multiple close games down the stretch, perhaps most notably a Dec. 22 win over the Toronto Raptors. Rose had 15 points on 6-of-6 shooting in the last seven minutes of that game as the Bulls scored 49 points in the fourth quarter to come from behind and beat what was at the time the top team in the Eastern Conference.
Performances like that make it difficult to write off Rose's chances of re-emerging as a star come playoff time. For now, however, Rose's tendency to moderate his aggression is one reason Chicago has experienced such a frustrating season.
A few weeks ago, I wrote about how LeBron James' "chill mode" helped explain the Cleveland Cavaliers playing to the level of their opposition. The Bulls have shown the same tendency. In fact, Chicago is one of two teams (the Detroit Pistons are the other) that actually become moreinconsistent when we factor in their schedule. (Typically, this reduces inconsistency because opponents of varying strength are part of the reason teams are inconsistent in their results.)
Monday's home loss to the Orlando Magic was only the latest head-scratching performance by the Bulls. Meanwhile, Chicago has won both head-to-head meetings with the Raptors and is an impressive 4-3 against current West playoff teams. Expect more of the same ups and downs if Rose continues to play like Wroten.
[h=3]News and notes[/h]• This week has offered teams in need of point guard help a couple of options. Nate Wolters cleared waivers after being waived by the Milwaukee Bucks last week, and Marc Stein reported he might sign a 10-day contract with the New Orleans Pelicans. That makes sense, because the Pelicans were thin at point guard after trading Austin Rivers and Russ Smith, even before starterJrue Holiday missed the second half of Monday's game with ankle inflammation.

The Cavaliers and Los Angeles Clippers are two contenders who have struggled with their starting point guards on the bench this season, and they both might take a look at Nate Robinson if he can complete a buyout with the Celtics following Tuesday's trade to Boston.

Robinson has struggled with his shooting after ACL surgery (not unlike Rose), but he has been effective as a distributor in the month of January, handing out 24 assists against just three turnovers.
Robinson's playmaking mentality would serve either the Cavaliers or the Clippers well, because he had been playing with a high-scoring former Sixth Man award winner (Jamal Crawford, J.R. Smith) with either team.
• The NBA's first 50-point game of 2014-15 came from an unlikely source: Minnesota Timberwolves guard Mo Williams, who entered Wednesday's game averaging 11.0 points per game. Williams made six of his 11 3-point attempts and shot 13-of-22 inside the arc, adding eight free throws in nine attempts to finish with 52 points -- one better than the mark Corey Brewer tied in April. (Kevin Love also scored 51 points in March 2012.)
At this point, we probably shouldn't be surprised by unexpected 50-point games. Besides Brewer (who averaged 12.3 points per game in 2013-14) and Williams, the past year saw Terrence Rossbecome the 50-point scorer with the lowest scoring average that season in the Basketball-Reference.com database, finishing at 10.9 points per game. Williams (now averaging 12.4 PPG) could threaten that record. As Dan Feldman noted for Pro Basketball Talk, Tony Delk had held the lowest scoring average in a 50-point season at 12.3 PPG in 2000-01. Despite the lowest career scoring total of any retired player to score 50 in a game, Willie Burton averaged 15.3 PPG that season.
• It's no surprise that the New York Knicks are shopping Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon, as reported by ESPN's Marc Stein and ESPNNewYork's Ian Begley on Monday. Calderon's 2015-16 salary is the largest on New York's books beyond this season, other than Carmelo Anthony's, and New York would love to move him to clear more cap space. The motivation for trading Bargnani would be more purely monetary. If the Knicks can move him for someone making less than about $7 million, they'd likely avoid paying the luxury tax this season. That has huge financial ramifications down the road because New York is unlikely to be a taxpayer in 2015-16. If the Knicks don't pay tax in either season, they would not have to worry about the costly repeater tax until 2019-20.
The most likely trade for Bargnani might be to the 76ers for Jason Richardson, who is making $6.6 million in the final season of his contract -- about the perfect amount to get New York out of the tax. Because Richardson is injured, the Sixers are likely to collect insurance on his contract after the midpoint of the season, but Philadelphia has proved willing to take on more salary if it gains assets of any kind. The Knicks could offer cash (per BasketballInsiders.com, the Sixers have received $1.4 million of the allowed $3.3 million this season) and future second-round picks to make a deal happen.
Weekly top five: Best midseason trade pickups in the past 25 years
5. Ray Allen to Seattle, 2003
4. Kevin Johnson to Phoenix, 1988
3. Pau Gasol to L.A. Lakers, 2008
2. Rasheed Wallace to Detroit, 2004
1. Clyde Drexler to Houston, 1995

Honorable mention: Dikembe Mutombo to Philadelphia, 2001; Jason Kidd to Phoenix, 1996; Sam Cassell to Milwaukee, 1999; Jeff Hornacek to Utah, 1994; Tim Hardaway to Miami, 1996; Mark Jackson to Indiana, 1997

EV Whore
Tokens
For the love of god please put the old man icon next to this thread. You can't bump this type of a headline without warning Hache, you should know better than that.

Tokens
Yeah for a split second I thought he got hurt again too

Sucks all the injuries in the game now. I'd like to see a study on it and why it is happening. I know ACL injuries amongst amateur athletes are up as well.

Tokens
Atleast Drose had his lower body wrecked by injuries. What's kevin loves excuse? Looking a bit overrated Hache

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Atleast Drose had his lower body wrecked by injuries. What's kevin loves excuse? Looking a bit overrated Hache

Kevin Love overrated?

Not quite.

Anyone who is in the starting 5 with Lebron is going to have a decrease in numbers.

18 & 10 is still solid.

Derrick Rose has been overrated from the very beginning, and I've said it from the very beginning.

Too many took that one playoff run where he was showing out, and developed a perception of super-stardom from it...

Tokens
Have you been following much this year?

He has looked awful defensively and their point differential is actually better when he is off the court. Has been benched multiple times down the stretch.

Derrick Rose had his lower body wrecked by injury and it has completely changed the way he plays. Kevin Love was just overrated by people who value bulk stats and nothing else....

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Shoot Kyrie Irving & others are just as bad.

Heck Lebron's defense isn't even on par with other superstars he's been compared too...

Tokens
So you agree Love has been atrocious defensively and has been a major liability for the Cavs on that end of the floor thus concluding he was overrated and isn't 1 of the best players in the league like you had previously stated?

He can still be a useful piece, but he isn't an elite player.

Tokens
Why not just walk it back and say yeah he was overrated?

It is pretty much common knowledge now. Nobody is saying he sucks but he was never a top 5-10 player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyPoi
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com