NFL's Top 50 Offseason Questions

Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]NFL's top 50 offseason questions[/h][h=3]Insider's experts address pressing issues in free agency, draft and more[/h]By ESPN Insider Contributors | ESPN Insider
in.gif

It will be seven months before the teams of the National Football League retake the fields for the regular season -- but there's plenty to monitor in the days between.
Where will the top free agents sign? What big names will be cut loose from rosters? Who will get the first hug from Roger Goodell at Radio City Music Hall?
To help prime you for what promises to be an action-packed offseason, we polled Insider's experts -- Bill Polian, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Herm Edwards, Louis Riddick and Mike Sando -- on the 50 most-pressing questions facing the league in the months ahead. Ranging from league-wide issues to nitty-gritty roster fixes, there's something for each and every one of the league's 32 teams.

1. Where will Johnny Manziel go in the draft?

Todd McShay: Evaluators might have more split opinions on Manziel than on any other prospect in this class. Those who like him focus on his special improvisational skills that allow him to create after the initial play breaks down. But those arguing against him focus on three things: (1) Given his size and style of play, can he hold up over a 16-game season? (2) can he be coached to improve his on-field decision-making? and (3) what's he doing when he leaves the building, and how will it affect his preparation?

In my opinion, he's a late first-round talent after you weigh all those pros and cons. But seeing as how five of the teams picking in the top eight (Texans, Jaguars, Browns, Raiders and Vikings) are in need of a quarterback, there's a good chance he'll land in the top 10, even if Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles (first- and second-ranked QBs on our board, respectively) are taken before him.

2. How does Jay Gruden help Robert Griffin III bounce back in Washington?

Ron Jaworski: No. 1, he has to get RG III fully healthy and keep him healthy. I don't think we're going to see Jay install the same kind of offense that's going to put Griffin in harm's way as often as he was in the past. You need to still find a way to take advantage of RG III's athletic gifts, and I think he will, but we should see a more prototypical passing game in Washington next season. So what's next? Working with RG III to help him play from the pocket. All the time Griffin missed last offseason rehabbing his knee showed up most of all in his lack of progress in that area.

Gruden's experience as an outstanding QB in the AFL will be a big plus here. He knows what it's like to have those big bodies coming at you and flying around your legs. That should start them both off on the right foot. I've watched Griffin make great throws from the pocket -- so he can do it. Last season, he struggled a little bit more. An offseason and preseason of work between these two will likely go a long way.

3. Who is the most overrated free agent this offseason?

Louis Riddick: <OFFER>Statistically speaking, Jared Allen has recorded double-digit sack totals for the past seven seasons and posted a near career-high 26 QB hits in 2013. But he'll be 32 at the start of the 2014 season and, when entering into contract negotiations, you never pay a player based on what he has done in the past, but for what he is and will be for the foreseeable future -- three years out, if possible. The quality of the stats is very important for me when evaluating defensive linemen, with factors such as level of competition, home versus away performance and the situation surrounding each sack/pressure/QB hit, etc., all factoring into the final verdict. With Jared, I see a player with diminishing get-off quickness, an inability to win on the edge against quality competition without benefiting from the QB holding the ball too long, marginal stamina as an every-down end and an average point-of-attack run defender that does not play with a consistent level of competitiveness. I would approach signing a player like this with extreme caution, as "the wall" could be approaching faster than the stats say it is.
</OFFER>

4. Is there any chance the New Orleans Saints let Jimmy Graham get away?

Bill Polian: Absolutely none. They'll use the franchise tag on him if necessary. I don't think there would be any damaging effects to the relationship between the team and the player if they tag him as a TE, though the union might litigate that designation since his alignment in their offense makes it an interesting issue. I suspect, though, that by the time the litigation is coming to conclusion, there will be an effort to get a long-term deal done and avoid that decision.

5. Can the Kansas City Chiefs follow the same blueprint this season?

Herm Edwards: I believe the Chiefs can win in 2014 like they did this season. Alex Smith had 23 touchdowns to only seven interceptions and did a good job of taking care of the football. The key will be getting more production from the passing game and a fast and consistent wide receiver to complement Dwayne Bowe. They will continue to be reliant on Jamaal Charles, but I think they need to cut down on his workload (262 carries, 70 receptions). They also need to re-examine their scheme a bit on defense, since they were 2-7 in their last nine games and 0-6 against Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and Philip Rivers (some of the top QBs they faced). They got stuck in man coverage too often, and when their pass rush didn't get there -- especially when Tamba Hali and Derrick Johnson were hurt -- the secondary got burned too often. But this team is built to run, take care of the football and play with a lead. That isn't going to change any time soon.

6. Which head coaches are likely to start next season on the hot seat?

Mike Sando: Dennis Allen, Jason Garrett, Rex Ryan and Joe Philbin are four that come to mind. Ryan and Philbin are working with general managers who did not hire them, and that dynamic can be tricky over the long term. Garrett is always on the hot seat in Dallas. Allen's seat was warm last season, and it's tough to bank on anything regarding Oakland.

7. Is this the most important New England Patriots draft in years?

Mel Kiper: Not really. The Patriots have needs, but they also suffered some key injuries and will get good players back in 2014. For instance, in terms of performance you could say they need to add a linebacker, but they're going to get a great one back when Jerod Mayo returns healthy. I count 13 rookies who played for the Patriots in 2013, so they should have a lot of internal roster development. Why this draft is important is they have to be looking at Tom Brady's window and looking for impact, but I think that was also the case last year, so I don't think Bill Belichick is thinking this draft is somehow more important than previous years'. They'll stick with a proven philosophy.

8. Last season, it was Darrelle Revis. The season before, it was Adrian Peterson and Peyton Manning. What's the most critical injury to monitor over this offseason?

Sando: The knee injuries safety Tyrann Mathieu (Arizona) and linebacker NaVorro Bowman (San Francisco) suffered were unusually serious, calling into question how well they might recover for the 2014 season. Both players are potential defensive MVPs for teams that could need all the talent they can muster to unseat Seattle in the NFC West. Both suffered torn ACLs and additional injuries within the affected knees. I excluded from consideration less complicated ACL rehabs, such as the one St. Louis' Sam Bradford is attempting.

9. Who is the best playmaker the New York Jets could take in the first round (No. 18) to make this offense more dynamic in 2014?

McShay: It all depends on who is available when the Jets are on the clock, but three guys in particular jump out at me as good options for the Jets at No. 18: Clemson's Sammy Watkins is the most talented and has the best skill set of any wide receiver in this draft; USC's Marqise Lee isn't the biggest receiver, but he has big league speed both as a route-runner and after the catch; Texas A&M's Mike Evans is the third-ranked WR on our board, so he could slide to the Jets, but he's so impressive on tape that it wouldn't surprise me if he is the first receiver off the board. No receiver in this class is better at going up and getting the ball than Evans.

10. Colin Kaepernick and the San Francisco 49ers can renegotiate his contract this offseason. Should they lock him up now or wait it out?

Polian: I'd wait it out for a number of reasons. Firstly, they're going to need the money to potentially re-sign some of their own free agents this year -- Donte Whitner, Anquan Boldin, Mario Manningham, Jonathan Goodwin, Tarell Brown and Eric Wright are all up. Secondly, I'd like to see a body of at least three seasons of work before I'd say we're going to invest big time in a quarterback. The exception would be if Kaepernick is willing to do a bridge deal. But if he wants a six- or seven-year contract, I'd wait it out.

11. Which positions will be overpaid in free agency due to scarcity this offseason?

Sando: Teams tend to pay quarterbacks for positional value to a degree that they do not pay others. That already happened with Jay Cutler in Chicago, at least to some degree. That could happen on a smaller scale with Michael Vick this coming offseason. Look at what Josh Freeman got from Minnesota last season after flaming out with Tampa Bay. There aren't enough quarterbacks to go around, and teams overpay as a result.

12. Will the Jacksonville Jaguars take Jadeveon Clowney at No. 3 if he drops to them, or a QB?

McShay: I don't believe teams should ever talk themselves into drafting a player, so if the Jaguars have a significantly higher grade on Clowney (the No. 1 prospect on our board) than they do any of the QBs, I think they'd be wise to take him.

But this feels to me like the right time for the Jags to get their quarterback. I remember talking to head coach Gus Bradley once about Russell Wilson and the positive effect he had on the Seahawks organization (when Bradley was there) with his work ethic and presence, and I imagine Bradley is looking for the same in Jacksonville. While all three of our top QB prospects -- UCF's Bortles, Louisville's Bridgewater and Texas A&M's Manziel -- have differing leadership styles, they all have a certain "it" factor. Bortles and Bridgewater might stand out more in terms of work ethic, but Manziel is no slouch, either, and more closely resembles Wilson as a player who can create plays with his legs.

Finding a QB is the No. 1 priority for any team, so if the Jags find one they like, it wouldn't be surprising at all for them to take him with the third pick.

13. How the heck do the Arizona Cardinals pull ahead of San Francisco and Seattle?

Sando: The Cardinals need to replenish their offensive line and add a speed element to their receiving corps. They can worry about upgrading at quarterback another time. Carson Palmer has done enough to remain the best option for the coming season. The line will definitely improve with Jonathan Cooper's return from injury and when Arizona addresses its tackle situation. At receiver, coach Bruce Arians needs a Mike Wallace type. Look for the Cardinals to seek one in the draft while considering options in free agency.

14. Where will Michael Vick end up, and do you see him as a starter in 2014?

Polian: I can see him as a starter in 2014. His most likely suitors will be teams without a QB and looking for a bridge to a young player drafted this year or one they expect to draft in a year or two. Jacksonville could be one spot, but, really, any team that fits that description is a possibility. They won't give him a big contract or a long one, but he is capable of being a starter and buying time to develop the next guy. He could also be a good backup candidate for a team like San Francisco or Seattle because he fits the mold of those offenses pretty well. As a third option, other teams might pursue him as a change-up QB for a different look in games.

15. Which teams benefit from a deep wide receiver class?
Kiper: A bunch of them. A number of teams drafting later in Round 1 need a wide receiver, and I think up to eight or nine could go in Round 1. The Jets need a wide receiver at No. 18. Later, I also see Philadelphia looking at that position, then Kansas City, New England, Carolina, San Francisco and Seattle. Each of those teams don't just need help at the position, they could use a player who can play right away. I think it could cause some of them to look at trades to slide up and take a player they really covet.

16. Who should the Carolina Panthers target in the draft to help Cam Newton?

McShay: If any of the three receivers we mentioned in the Jets writeup fall to the Panthers (Watkins, Lee or Evans), they should snap them up, but if all three are gone, there is a second tier of WRs to consider: Fresno State's Davante Adams, who lacks elite speed but is big, strong and has really good hands, and Florida State's Kelvin Benjamin, who is a boom-or-bust guy with great size (6-foot-4, 233 pounds) and playmaking ability but had too many drops this season. UNC tight end Eric Ebron, a matchup threat with good speed and versatility, could be intriguing if he's available.

Should Carolina decide to not take a pass-catcher, it does need an upgrade at tackle, and Michigan's Taylor Lewan, Notre Dame's Zack Martin, Alabama's Cyrus Kouandjio and Virginia's Morgan Moses all project to land in the mid-to-late first round.

17. Will we see any offseason trades, a la Darrelle Revis or Percy Harvin?

Sando: We've heard Larry Fitzgerald's name floated in one report recently. His name comes up periodically, but even if the Cardinals tried to deal him, another team would have to be willing to absorb an inflated contract. That's no sure bet.

18. Is Sam Bradford the long-term answer in St. Louis?

Jaworski: I have my doubts, and I'm a big Bradford guy. He just hasn't been able to take that offense and elevate it. Yes, he's been banged up and missed time with injuries, but I think this coming season is going to be absolutely critical for him. The Rams have a solid defense and are building a good receiving corps. If he wants to stay in St. Louis as the starter, I think he's going to have to step up. Soon.

19. What should the St. Louis Rams do with their two picks?

Kiper: While I know the Rams will consider trading down, two areas of need stand out to me, and I think they can hit both. They absolutely need to take a left tackle, not just for the sake of knowing once and for all what they have in Bradford, but for anybody playing QB there in 2014 and into the future. It could be Greg Robinson, it could be Jake Matthews, it could even be Lewan. I think they also need to get another wide receiver, and it's a deep group to choose from. How about a guy like Evans to give them a big target? They need a tackle (more than one, actually) and a wide receiver.

20. Who will be the highest profile cut?

Sando: Julius Peppers and Chris Johnson are two that come to mind right away. Peppers is scheduled to earn $14 million in 2014, the second-to-last year of his deal with the Bears, and Chicago has plans to get younger on defense. Peppers is no longer playing well enough to command that type of salary. Johnson is set to receive $8 million from the Tennessee Titans. He can still be a productive player, but that figure could be too high for the Titans as they transition to a new coaching staff.

21. Should the Kansas City Chiefs draft a QB to succeed Alex Smith this season?

Jaworski: I'm not so sure they won't look at adding a QB in the early rounds. Smith does some outstanding things, but he's a stopgap guy. As much as he helped the Chiefs and as well as he's played lately, I don't look at him as a franchise guy. Smith did a good job calming it down after a season of turmoil in Kansas City in 2012, but I think, at end of day, the Chiefs need to look down the road.

22. Was it Ray Rice or the line in Baltimore that led to a lousy run game?

Edwards: I'm not buying into Rice's decline as a runner just yet. He does have a lot of mileage (1,430 carries, 369 receptions) in his six-year career, but he has averaged at least 4.0 yards per carry every season except this one. The offensive line gave up 48 sacks in the passing game and was one of the worst run-blocking units in the NFL. I think that line is more to blame for Rice's bad season (3.1 YPC) than a decline in his abilities. The switch to a zone-blocking scheme under new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak should help this unit. The Ravens should also look to re-sign tackle Eugene Monroe.

23. What's the next step for Chip Kelly in Philly?

Sando: Quarterback Nick Foles started 10 games and ranked first in passer rating last season, but the position was unsettled past midseason. Stability at the position should give Kelly and staff chances to help Foles take a step forward. Reducing sacks should be a top priority. Foles ranked tied with Kellen Clemens for 26th in sack rate (7.7 percent). Those sacks largely explained why Foles ranked only seventh in Total QBR despite 27 touchdown passes with two interceptions.

24. Should the Houston Texans take a QB at No. 1?
Kiper: I think they should if new coach Bill O'Brien believes that quarterback can start as a rookie and win. I write that because this isn't your typical team picking at No. 1. There's talent, and they really don't need to be thinking about a total rebuild. So as much as you think a new coach can work with the front office to tweak the roster for his long-range vision, the reality is that not only does that honeymoon not really exist anymore, but the Texans know they're not too far removed from a great deal of success, and there's enough talent to compete in 2014. I think they take a QB, but it goes beyond simply development. It's about an attempt to win games now.

25. Is there a team heading for a Texans-like cliff, and how can they stop it?

Sando: No. There aren't many qualifying teams to consider here because only 13 teams had winning records, including 11 reaching double digits in victories. I don't see any of those teams' quarterbacks suddenly imploding the way Matt Schaub did last season. However, Kansas City could slide on a smaller scale after beating a series of unimpressive teams last season. The Chiefs and other AFC West teams must play the NFC West in 2013, so, even if Kansas City improves, its record could worsen. I would not expect a Texans-style collapse from them, however.

26. What is the most crucial improvement for the Green Bay Packers?

Edwards: This offensive line was not very good in 2013, giving up 45 sacks -- and that number probably would have been higher if not for Aaron Rodgers' mobility. But the biggest issue for the Packers is shoring up their defense. Green Bay gave up 125 yards per game on the ground during the regular season, which was 25th in the NFL, and they gave up more than 247 yards per game through the air, 24th in the NFL. Getting Casey Hayward and Clay Matthews back healthy should help, but this team needs more production from its high draft picks up front. Green Bay builds through the draft, and when players don't pan out, you end up with a defensive unit that gives up chunks of yards. Right now, Datone Jones, Nick Perry and Jerel Worthy aren't living up to their draft status, and Sam Shields is a free agent. The Packers had only 11 interceptions last season; they need to force more turnovers to have success.

27. How can the NFL address officiating scrutiny before next season?

Sando: Taking at least a step toward hiring full-time referees could make sense for the league. It's probably not going to happen in the short term because the current referees will resist, and the NFL does not yet have viable alternatives. But former officiating director Mike Pereira was right when he said the league should make its 17 referees full-time employees. Pereira put it this way: "They should be involved with everything, be involved in proposals of rules changes and teaching their crews and working with the teams in the offseason."

28. Should the New York Giants pay free-agent wide receiver Hakeem Nicks?

Polian: No, I don't think so. That's not to denigrate Nicks one iota, but the Giants have other needs they have to address first, especially on the offensive line and at running back. They have Jerrel Jernigan, who could step into Nicks' role, or they could get a receiver at a lower number than what he'll command on the open market.

29. Is the Ben Roethlisberger situation finally settled in Pittsburgh?

Sando: The Steelers aren't going to get rid of Roethlisberger this offseason, but "settled" might be too strong a word. The 2013 reports suggesting the Steelers weren't happy with Roethlisberger did not materialize out of thin air. That was the word around the league for a reason. Also, the Steelers continue to burn through offensive assistant coaches. This situation doesn't feel particularly settled even though Roethlisberger remains the team's franchise QB.

30. How can the San Diego Chargers not fall victim to regression with a very tough schedule in 2014?

Edwards: The biggest key for San Diego will be if Rivers can continue to protect the football. He was tremendous this season with 32 touchdowns and only 11 interceptions, converting on 49 percent of third downs. Danny Woodhead was terrific as a receiver out of the backfield, and Ryan Mathews managed to play all 16 games for the first time in his career, even if he was dinged up in the playoffs. They'll need another strong season out of him, as well as continued improvement from Ladarius Green and an offensive line that had 11 players start over the course of the season. Even though offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is gone, Frank Reich is taking over as the team's OC, so there shouldn't be a loss of continuity. Finally, this defense needs to continue to play the way it did down the stretch last season, when it didn't give up more than 24 points in game over the final seven weeks (including the playoffs). I think a fully healthy Melvin Ingram will help that pass rush.

31. Which backup QB situation is most worrisome entering the offseason?

Sando: There are a few, but the Jets came to mind right away because they so badly need a veteran to push Geno Smith and provide insurance if Smith isn't good enough to start. The assumption here is that Mark Sanchez won't be part of the equation for the Jets. There's an outside chance he'll stick around, but the time has most likely come to move in another direction.

32. Who is the most underrated free agent this offseason?

Riddick: Seattle Seahawks CB Walter Thurmond will have just turned 27 years old when the 2014 season begins. He was drafted in the fourth round in 2010, finishing the season on IR in two out of his first three seasons, and did not record an interception until the 2013 season. Additionally, he was suspended four games in 2013 for violating the NFL's policy of substance abuse. While both issues (durability and dependability) will suppress his value on the open market, this is a very skilled player who can play inside (nickel) and outside on the corner, use press and off coverage technique and play in zone or man coverage disciplines effectively. And, get this … he will tackle, which is not a given at his position. He will require a thorough investigation by those interested in him, but his all-around game is as good as any UFA corner that could be available in 2014.

33. Which line should the Atlanta Falcons address first: offensive or defensive?

Sando: Addressing the offensive line first makes sense as the Falcons try to maximize their investments in Matt Ryan and Julio Jones. Ryan played well last season despite the disasters that were unfolding around him, but take a look at the defensive fronts Atlanta will be facing in the NFC South. Carolina and Tampa Bay are loaded in their front sevens. The Falcons need to upgrade their offensive line to compete.

34. How can the Dallas Cowboys fix their defense?

Edwards: The change in coordinators from Monte Kiffin to Rod Marinelli should help, but it also means that the Cowboys are sticking with the same system. One of the biggest problems that got exposed for the Cowboys last season was their lack of depth, especially along the defensive line. Due to injuries, Dallas started 19 defensive linemen over the course of the season. They need to make it a priority to re-sign Jason Hatcher, who was the anchor of that line. The combination of giving up 33 touchdown passes and getting only 24 sacks is a testament to both the lack of a pass rush for the Cowboys and the issues they had at safety. I like Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr on the outside, even though they struggled at times this season, but Dallas needs a nickelback and at least one other safety. On the D-line, they need to draft a 3-technique or sign one in free agency and increase the depth on the line.

35. Do the Minnesota Vikings re-sign Jared Allen or Everson Griffen?

Sando: I would say no on Allen, yes on Griffen. Allen was a great player for a long time, but there's no reason to pay for past production. Re-signing Allen on the cheap could make sense, but if another team is willing to pay him anything substantial, the Vikings would have a hard time justifying the payout. Griffen is 26 years old, talented and has produced at times. He seems like the type of younger player new coach Mike Zimmer could mold if the price is right.

36. Should the Seattle Seahawks lock Richard Sherman down now?

Riddick: In a perfect world -- all things being equal -- of course the Seahawks will want to lock Sherman up, and I am sure they will try to find a way to ensure he remains in Seattle for a long time. You are talking about a guy who plays one of the top three most important positions on a 53-man NFL roster, will have just turned 27 years old soon after the beginning of the new league year/free agency in 2015, is ideally suited mentally and physically for what they want to do as a football program under Pete Carroll and appears to have a unique chemistry with his teammates in the secondary. The issue is, on a team this loaded with young talent, the day of reckoning is coming as it relates to who exactly the Seahawks keep and who they let walk when their contract expires and try to replace them with someone in the developmental pipeline.
All-Pro safety Earl Thomas, DE Cliff Avril and CB Byron Maxwell are all scheduled to become UFAs as well in 2015. In addition, guys like DE Michael Bennett and Golden Tate have their contracts expire this offseason and will be looking to cash in on their own successful Super Bowl seasons. There will likely be a couple of significant cap-cut casualties that will create further breathing room under the cap and allow management to address their pending UFA issues. Another advantage is that they do not have to do anything at the traditionally cap-heavy QB position any time soon. This is a situation that will need to be watched closely, as some of their immediate moves this offseason will give some indication as to what direction they are likely headed with Sherman.

37. Is the Denver Broncos' Super Bowl window shut?

Sando: The Broncos are set up to make another Super Bowl run in 2014 as long as Manning remains in the picture, as expected. Denver proved it could be a championship contender this season even after losing half its starting defensive line, half its starting secondary and top pass-rusher, Von Miller, plus multiple starters on the offensive line. The injury outlook should improve, and so should the Broncos. The moves they make to upgrade the roster do not need to be short-term ones. Denver can prepare for the future while winning now.

38. Will more offenses go to a Chip Kelly up-tempo and no-huddle offense, given its success?

Sando: NFL teams will continue to integrate concepts that are working at the college level, but, as always, teams will do what they think works best with their personnel. Look at the final four playoff teams: Every one of them was leaning hard on its running game late in the season. As for Kelly, he changed his own offense after leaving Oregon. He adapted to quarterback Nick Foles and his personnel with the Philadelphia Eagles. Coaches around the league are interested in learning more about what has made Kelly a successful coach. Going up-tempo for the sake of going up-tempo isn't going to fit every situation, however.

39. Which draft prospect has the most riding on the combine?

Kiper: Khalil Mack of Buffalo has an important combine. He's a great athlete but also faces questions about the level of competition he played, so showing he's in the same class of athlete as other top players will be important for him. Others: A.J. McCarron needs to impress after missing the Senior Bowl. Will he decide to throw? Justin Gilbert needs to run well to solidify his spot as the top cornerback. Bradley Roby needs to show off elite speed. Ebron and Jace Amaro will duel to have the top tight end numbers. Lastly, Carlos Hyde can be the top running back on most boards if he shows off good speed numbers, because he already has the frame and the tape.

40. What will the next en vogue position be?

Sando: The Seahawks' success with rangier cornerbacks could lead other teams to consider their options at that position. Seattle felt as though other teams were targeting taller corners more aggressively in the 2013 draft. The Jaguars took that approach after hiring Bradley away from the Seahawks, and Bradley wants the same types of defenders he had in Seattle. The Seahawks did not lose any defensive assistants to head-coaching jobs this offseason, so the trend might not accelerate much league wide, but it's a position to watch, at least.

41. Who can the Miami Dolphins add to upgrade their O-line (losing potentially four starters)?

Sando: New Orleans' Zach Strief and Kansas City's Branden Albert are two tackles to keep in mind while the Dolphins' new general manager, Dennis Hickey, gets set up. However, I'm not seeing obvious connections between the Dolphins' decision-makers and available free-agent offensive linemen. Yes, coach Joe Philbin was in Green Bay with Evan Dietrich-Smith, the Packers' free-agent center, but center might be the one position at which Miami has stability along its line. Hickey comes to the Dolphins from Tampa Bay, but the Buccaneers have no prime line prospects heading into the market. The Dolphins need to draft for their line as well.

42. How will the Indianapolis Colts try to address the disappointing Trent Richardson?

Edwards: This is more a problem of not being in the system long enough for me. I'm not ready to give up on Richardson just yet. He's clearly got talent. But getting traded in the middle of the season is tough for any player, and his offensive line in Indianapolis wasn't very good this season. Indianapolis also needs to mix up the game plan with Richardson more when he's in the game. Too often, he would come into the game and it would be obvious the Colts were handing him the ball. He'd get hit behind the line, and that was a big reason he averaged only 2.9 yards per carry with Indianapolis.

43. Will the Cincinnati Bengals try to lock up A.J. Green?

Sando: I'm expecting Green to play out the final season of his rookie contract before the Bengals use the franchise tag to buy additional time. Cincinnati has used the tag eight times since 1993, tied for fourth most in the NFL behind Indianapolis, Seattle and Arizona. The Bengals used it for defensive end Michael Johnson this past season, and now they appear likely to let him test the market. Green is more valuable than Johnson, but he'll rightfully have high expectations for a long-term deal -- expectations I'm not sure Cincinnati will meet a year ahead of free agency. Note also that Cincinnati plans to emphasize the running game in 2014.

44. How should the Cleveland Browns spend their draft assets?

Kiper: Along with St. Louis, the Browns have the chance to add the most impact in this draft because they don't just have the two first-round picks, they also have a pile of picks into Round 4. They pick seven times in the first found rounds. I think they need to consider a QB at No. 4, not just because it's a position of need, but because they have some weapons to help a young QB thrive in Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. But like Kansas City last year, they can also use their draft assets to trade for a QB. I think they also need to add a cornerback because they are lacking depth beyond Joe Haden. Barkevious Mingo showed flashes as a rookie, but adding another pass-rusher is also something they'll be looking at.

45. Should the Tennessee Titans get rid of Chris Johnson?

Sando: Johnson put up numbers pretty similar to the ones that helped make Green Bay's Eddie Lacy the offensive rookie of the year. The context was completely different, however, and the bottom line is that Johnson costs too much. Johnson is scheduled to earn $8 million in salary while counting $10 million against the salary cap in 2014. Those figures are too high unless Johnson is going to be a dynamic player. Tennessee could use a bigger, more physical and cheaper back for new coach Ken Whisenhunt's offense.

46. What's separating the Buffalo Bills from the status of playoff contenders, and can they find it this offseason?

Sando: The Bills will need dramatically improved play at quarterback and some cooperation from other teams in the AFC to make the jump in 2014. They ranked 31st in Total QBR last season, so improvement is realistic; dramatic improvement might not be. Schedule strength can fluctuate, but the outlook is not particularly positive at present. The Bills are scheduled to play 11 games against teams that finished 2013 with records of .500 or better.

47. What does Matthew Stafford have to do to make that leap to the NFL's top tier of QBs, and can he get there?

Jaworski: First of all, Stafford has as much arm talent as any QB in the league. He can make every throw, but he just hasn't made them consistently. You look at the Detroit Lions and you start checking off boxes. They have a great receiver, a good running game this season, an improved offensive line -- he had everything you could want. Now, he's got a new coach in Jim Caldwell to help him, but the next step is all up to Stafford. His inconsistencies start in his mechanics. He needs to make his throwing motion more repetitive. If you can make that consistent, the results will be more consistent as well. To do so, he needs to put time in the offseason. How bad does he want it? His improvement starts there with his own initiative, and I think he needs to be coached hard.

48. Is Mike Glennon still the starter for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers?

Sando: Not with a new general manager and coaching staff. Glennon provided an upgrade from Josh Freeman, but his production tapered off as the 2013 season concluded. If Glennon qualified for "the guy" status, the Bucs might have stayed the course this offseason. Glennon now becomes a leading candidate to start for Tampa Bay while the team figures out its QB situation for the longer term.

49. Should the Oakland Raiders trade down if there's no QB available at No. 5?

Kiper: They should consider trading down not just based on whether there's a good QB available at No. 5, but based on whether they believe the QB they get at that spot can succeed early. The Raiders have as many needs as any team in the NFL, so adding picks could be beneficial. I see needs at wide receiver, in the defensive backfield, at guard and in the pass rush. So if they draft a QB, that needs to be a guy they think provides an immediate upgrade over Terrelle Pryor and Matt McGloin.

50. Is Henry Melton a "must-sign" for the Chicago Bears?

Sando: No. He's an important player for the Bears, but his injury situation puts a ceiling on his price. When I think of a must-sign free agent, I ask whether this player is someone the team would automatically retain with the franchise tag. There's no way Melton falls into that category coming off the ACL injury (and after being arrested on charges of assault).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
03sunwinvip
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com