Search

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=3]Dallas Cowboys: B[/h]
Top needs: DL, S, G, WR
Needs: B-
Value: B
Summary: Give Jerry Jones credit: I don't think it's unfair to at least be tempted by the prospect of Johnny Football with that blue star on his helmet, playing in that football theatre. But Manziel isn't making Dallas a better team in 2014, and Tony Romo -- for all the derision -- is a really good QB when he gets protection. The Dallas offensive line with Zack Martin isn't just the strength of the team, it's arguably among the top few units in the NFL. They are going to be able to run the ball. I had Martin as high as the top 10, so that's not a bad pick. I can see why Dallas added Demarcus Lawrence where it did, but a third is pricey in this draft. Devin Street addresses the depth the Cowboys really do need at WR, and they used the run of seventh-round picks to pile up some lottery tickets at need spots like safety, defensive tackle and cornerback, where Terrance Mitchell at times looked a lot better than your typical late-rounder. His 40 time didn't help, but he could stick. The Cowboys mixed in that typical moment of aggression, but in some ways they were as disciplined as any team in the draft, and they took some good shots to hit needs.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->[h=4]2014 draft picks[/h]
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)16TZack MartinNotre Dame
(2)34DEDemarcus LawrenceBoise State
(4)119OLBAnthony HitchensIowa
(5)146WRDevin StreetPittsburgh
(7)231DEBen GardnerStanford
(7)238OLBWill SmithTexas Tech
(7)248SAhmad DixonBaylor
(7)251DTKen BishopNorthern Illinois
(7)254DBTerrance MitchellOregon

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 16 --><!-- begin inline 17 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Cleveland Browns: B-[/h]
Top needs: QB, CB, WR, OG
Needs: C
Summary: Some day, somebody will probably write a book about this Cleveland draft. Maybe it'll become "Draft Day II." Unfortunately, I'm on a tighter deadline. Where do you start? The huge trade with Buffalo to swipe a 2015 first-rounder? Johnny Football? Josh Gordon? The best pass-catcher drafted is ... Pierre Desir, who plays corner? It was wild. Adding a 2015 first-round pick (and a fourth) to move down five slots is like stealing. But you do pass on the chance to take Sammy Watkins. Justin Gilbert was a minor reach at No. 8, but he's a good fit and hit a big need. And again on this theme: you move down and add major pick value, what's a minor reach, really? You can't always get to the perfect slot in terms of value. Johnny Manziel's celebrity transcends the reality of what he adds to the Browns as a football player, but let's talk football. He's a good value at No. 22 (I had him at No. 10 overall on my Big Board); he is a very good pocket passer, not just a scrambler -- he led all the draft QBs in this class in pocket accuracy -- and the Browns can block for him if he starts. Lastly, that's a big need. I really like Joel Bitonio, a player who could have gone in Round 1. Terrance West could become a good starter, combining size with good lateral agility and vision. Desir is great value, but you can temper the "steal" talk with the reality of a potentially longer developmental process given the jump in competition. The big void here is at wide receiver. Remember: I had WR as a need even with the assumption Josh Gordon was going to be around. Now that he's probably not? The Browns have potentially changed the face of their franchise, but Manziel could use somebody to throw the football to.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)8CBJustin GilbertOklahoma State
(1)22QBJohnny ManzielTexas A&M
(2)35GJoel BitonioNevada
(3)71LBChris KirkseyIowa
(3)94RBTerrance WestTowson
(4)127CBPierre DesirLindenwood

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 17 --><!-- begin inline 18 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Minnesota Vikings: B-[/h]
Top needs: QB, LB, DB, WR
Value: B-
Summary: The first round of this draft has me pretty split. I thought Anthony Barr was a pretty big reach based on my evaluations; he's a talented but raw player who lacks instincts on defense. On the other hand, moving decisively to get Teddy Bridgewater made sense, and they have the pieces around him to help him succeed. Plus, as Trent Dilfer noted, the culture in that locker room could be good for Teddy as well. While I really liked the David Yankey pick and also am a fan of Jerick McKinnon based on his tape and his exceptional workout numbers, not taking an inside linebacker anywhere is questionable given what they currently have on the roster, and I'm surprised they didn't add another wide receiver given the talent available. They took some shots at cornerback, and I think Kendall James could be a pretty good late value. The Vikings did a pretty good job overall, and if Barr develops more and Bridgewater really becomes the answer, this draft will look really good.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)9OLBAnthony BarrUCLA
(2)32QBTeddy BridgewaterLouisville
(3)72DEScott CrichtonOregon State
(3)96RBJerick McKinnonGeorgia Southern
(5)145GDavid YankeyStanford
(6)182CBAntone ExumVirginia Tech
(6)184CBKendall JamesMaine
(7)220DTShamar StephenUConn
(7)223OLBBrandon WattsGeorgia Tech
(7)225CBJabari PriceUNC

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 18 --><!-- begin inline 19 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Chicago Bears: B-[/h]
Top needs: S, CB, DT, WR
Needs: B
Value: C+
Summary: The Bears have some questions on value, but I think they did a solid job of targeting needs. Kyle Fuller may not be a star at CB, but the floor is probably a really good player for a long time. I didn't mind that pick at all, especially after Cleveland moved up to get Justin Gilbert, who isn't superior to Fuller. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix would've been a solid pick here as well. The Bears did a great job of rebuilding what was a defensive line in tatters at the end of 2013, and Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton round out the depth chart there. Ferguson was a reach, but the talent is enticing. Sutton is interesting, because his 2012 tape is fantastic. If he can get his weight down and play lighter and with more explosiveness, he's a nice addition in Round 3. Ka'Deem Carey has great tape, but the 4.7 40 time puts him in a category of RBs that rarely offer much. Hopefully the Bears get the tape version, but the fourth round is pretty rich. Brock Vereen can help at safety, a pretty massive need area. David Fales has talent but questions on the arm -- we'll see if he's a case of improved arm strength. Charles Leno can make this roster. Good work on needs, outside of depth at wide receiver, but I think they missed on value more than one. That said, the Bears had a really good offseason. They're better than the team that finished 2013.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)14CBKyle FullerVirginia Tech
(2)51DTEgo FergusonLSU
(3)82DTWill SuttonArizona State
(4)117RBKa'Deem CareyArizona
(4)131SBrock VereenMinnesota
(6)183QBDavid FalesSan Diego State
(6)191PPat O'DonnellMiami (FL)
(7)246TCharles Leno Jr.Boise State

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 19 --><!-- begin inline 20 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Detroit Lions: B-[/h]
Top needs: CB, S, WR, OLB
Summary: The Lions are absolutely terrifying to defend in the passing game after this draft, and hopefully practicing against the likes of Calvin Johnson, Golden Tate, Brandon Pettigrew, Joseph Fauria and now Eric Ebron will be good for their secondary, because that unit didn't get much help in the draft. The Lions can be forgiven for passing on a CB or a safety at No. 10, because Justin Gilbert was already off the board, and the value at those positions made Ebron a solid option. Tight end wasn't technically a need, but Ebron isn't technically your father's tight end. He's tall, fast, has a huge catch radius and will be split out off the line. He can block a little bit, but that's not his job here. Again: This is a scary group of pass-catchers. Kyle Van Noy is one of my favorite players in the whole draft, an instinctive, versatile defender who can move around and rush the passer. (He also roomed with Ezekiel Ansah at BYU.) Travis Swanson is useful depth behind 35-year old Dominic Raiola. And then finally -- in Round 4 -- Detroit adds Nevin Lawson, a good but undersized CB. Larry Webster is fascinating because he could be a pass-rusher or a tight end, and Caraun Reid is a depth addition at DT. Overall, you have to love the talent addition in rounds one and two, but the need in the secondary -- well, it's still a need.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)10TEEric EbronUNC
(2)40OLBKyle Van NoyBYU
(3)76CTravis SwansonArkansas
(4)133DBNevin LawsonUtah State
(4)136DELarry WebsterBloomsburg (PA)
(5)158DTCaraun ReidPrinceton
(6)189WRT.J. JonesNotre Dame
(7)229KNate FreeseBoston College

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 20 --><!-- begin inline 21 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Kansas City Chiefs: B-[/h]
Top needs: WR, S, G, DL
Needs: C+
Summary: When the Chiefs lost production in their pass rush last year, with health part of the reason why, they looked completely exposed on defense. Dee Ford is not a versatile player, but he's explosive off the edge and knows the way to the QB. If there's a question here, it's whether the Chiefs could have traded down to add picks and still gotten a pass-rusher. The Chiefs didn't have a second-round pick, so even additional late-round scratch-off tickets are nice. What Ford also represents, however, is insurance against Tamba Hali's age and the possibility of being forced to pay Justin Houston a lot of cash after 2014. As well, it's hard to knock not having a second-round pick when that pick is really Alex Smith. That's a win. Phillip Gaines is a really good athlete they can develop, and De'Anthony Thomas is a player defenses always have to account for and offers potential free points on special teams. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is a sleeper who could turn into something. My question is at wide receiver. While I know GM John Dorsey believes recent first-rounder A.J. Jenkins could take a big step forward and really help the offense, that's an area I might have targeted in a deep draft. Safety was also a need that wasn't addressed.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)23DEDee FordAuburn
(3)87CBPhillip GainesRice
(4)124RBDe'Anthony ThomasOregon
(5)163QBAaron MurrayGeorgia
(6)193GZach FultonTennessee
(6)200TLaurent Duvernay-TardifMcGill (Canada)

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 21 --><!-- begin inline 22 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Atlanta Falcons: B-[/h]
Top needs: OT, DE/OLB, TE, S
Summary: I was a big fan of the Jake Matthews pick when it happened, and I'm not changing my tune now. Big need, good player and you add the bonus of his versatility. The Falcons also got a pretty good safety prospect in Dez Southward, hitting another need. But there were also a couple areas I think they missed, and maybe it had to do with the way the board was breaking. For instance, they really need pass-rush help, and Demarcus Lawrence could have been an option at No. 37, but Dallas moved up and grabbed him. Atlanta ends up with a high-upside talent in Ra'Shede Hageman, but he ran really hot and cold at Minnesota. Devonta Freeman gives them an underrated running back, which is something they need, and maybe Prince Shembo can provide some value as a pass-rusher. Ricardo Allen is a solid player and gives them added depth at CB. Tyler Starr is also a sleeper as a pass-rushing addition. The question for me is whether they did enough to really help the pass rush, which was a big need, and I also think a tight end made sense given the departure at that position. Not bad, overall. Matthews will be good.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)6TJake MatthewsTexas A&M
(2)37DTRa'Shede HagemanMinnesota
(3)68DBDez SouthwardWisconsin
(4)103RBDevonta FreemanFlorida State
(4)139OLBPrince ShemboNotre Dame
(5)147DBRicardo AllenPurdue
(5)168LBMarquis SpruillSyracuse
(7)253OLBYawin SmallwoodUConn
(7)255LBTyler StarrSouth Dakota

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 22 --><!-- begin inline 23 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Tennessee Titans: C+[/h]
Top needs: OLB, QB, CB, RB
Summary: Tackle wasn't the top need for Tennessee, but Taylor Lewan was my No. 5 prospect in the entire draft, and not only offers an immediate upgrade at right tackle, but could ultimately take over the left side from Michael Roos, who becomes an unrestricted free agent after the 2014 season. Can't knock the pick, especially when you consider Lewan is a really good run-blocker and moving the ball on the ground consistently could really help Jake Locker. I like the pick of Bishop Sankey, and he gives the Titans a versatile, durable back who compares to Giovani Bernard, though I would have preferred Carlos Hyde in that spot. But again, fit matters and they like Sankey. Daquan Jones is a wide body who can be useful for a team that wants to be able to show some different fronts but still covets a block-eater. Calling Marqueston Huff versatile is probably more fair than calling him a tweener -- he could play either safety or corner but is probably better at CB. The value on Zach Mettenberger is really good in terms of talent, but he comes in with character baggage, and it's reflected in his draft position. There are teams who wouldn't draft him, period. But Ken Whisenhunt could have a steal there if his staff can get the best out of Mettenberger. Does this draft change the Titans much in 2014? A little. Perhaps Mettenberger makes it a great one.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)11TTaylor LewanMichigan
(2)54RBBishop SankeyWashington
(4)112DTDaquan JonesPenn State
(4)122DBMarqueston HuffWyoming
(5)151LBAvery WilliamsonKentucky
(6)178QBZach MettenbergerLSU

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 23 --><!-- begin inline 24 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Denver Broncos: C+[/h]
Top needs: CB, ILB, WR, G
Value: C+
Summary: Broncos fans who believe the addition of Aqib Talib solidified the depth chart at cornerback were being a little too optimistic. Denver needed to add another potential starter there, and the Broncos may have one in Bradley Roby, but I'm not sure he helps much now. What Roby lacks in refinement and consistency, he has in athleticism and potential. He's a superb athlete -- quick, agile and strong. What he's not is a technically sound CB, so what you have to hope for is a long season that gets him seasoning so he's hitting his stride during a playoff push. But for players this raw at position that demands a transition period, that's just a hope. Even with Emmanuel Sanders around I considered WR depth a need, and Cody Latimer is a pretty good get late in Round 2. Mr. McShay had him rated higher than I did, but I thought he could go early in Round 2. Michael Schofield was a sound player at Michigan but was overshadowed by Taylor Lewan. If Schofield ends up starting at right tackle pretty quickly it wouldn't surprise me. I think Lamin Barrow is a pretty good player going into a situation where the depth chart at interior linebacker isn't great. Given where they were drafting, the Broncos did pretty well, the question is whether Roby is a help in 2014 or a liability because he requires the development.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)31CBBradley RobyOhio State
(2)56WRCody LatimerIndiana
(3)95TMichael SchofieldMichigan
(5)156LBLamin BarrowLSU
(6)207CMatt ParadisBoise State
(7)242OLBCorey NelsonOklahoma

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 24 --><!-- begin inline 25 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Seattle Seahawks: C+[/h]
Top needs: WR, DL, OL, TE
Value: D+
Summary: There simply isn't a better player development program in the NFL right now than Seattle's. The players the Seahawks draft -- the players I've spent many hours evaluating and making calls on -- are often players that evolve, improve and become something new after Seattle drafts them. While they've had some notable misses in Round 1, both in value and development, they've been awesome thereafter. So when Seattle moved down to No. 45 overall and still had the chance to take either Stephon Tuitt or Marqise Lee, both players that would have been nice fits at pick No. 32, you almost had to laugh because you knew the Seahawks would go in another direction. Paul Richardson was the pick, and he hits a big need, though his lean frame is a concern. The key will be that he maintains his explosiveness as he adds some needed strength. The presence of him and a healthy Percy Harvin, will keep safeties on high alert. I also thought O-line was a necessity, and Justin Britt adds depth, but he was my 21st-ranked offensive tackle, and struggles to create any movement in the run game. I saw him as a likelier fit in the third or fourth round. Again: They trust their development, and they showed it again when they took what I'd kindly refer to as a deep sleeper in Jimmy Staten, a D-tackle I had at No. 44 at the position in my rankings. The Seahawks know what they are doing, but it's fair to say they had a couple value questions again today. I look forward to seeing what becomes of these players.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(2)45WRPaul RichardsonColorado
(2)64TJustin BrittMissouri
(4)108DECassius MarshUCLA
(4)123WRKevin NorwoodAlabama
(4)132OLBKevin Pierre-LouisBoston College
(5)172DTJimmy StatenMiddle Tenn. State
(6)199TGarrett ScottMarshall
(6)208SEric PinkinsSan Diego State
(7)227RBKiero SmallArkansas

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 25 --><!-- begin inline 26 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Washington Redskins: C+[/h]
Top needs: RT, CB, ILB, S
Value: C
Summary: This was a mixed draft, with some really good value in a couple spots, questionable value in others, a big need hit, but another couple that weren't. First of all, I like the fact that Washington moved down. I consider this a deep draft, and the Redskins have struggled with roster depth in recent years due to the Robert Griffin III deal. Give yourself more chances to get good players. In Trent Murphy the Redskins got a productive pass-rusher, they just didn't get the best one available at that spot based on my board. I don't agree completely with Todd that Murphy could have been available in Round 4, but I did think he could be around a little later. Morgan Moses represented good value in Round 3, but he needs work because the measurables are better than the player. He could be a solution at right tackle however, and boy do they need one. The Spencer Long pick was a bit of a puzzler. I saw him going later, as he's coming off a season-ending knee injury. Bashaud Breeland could be a good value at CB, and Lache Seastrunk is extremely explosive for a player taken that late in the draft -- he can be better if he stays more north and south. I wish the Skins would have added a safety, and maybe targeted CB earlier. This draft also represents the end of the RG III deal. We'll welcome Washington back to Round 1 next year.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(2)47OLBTrent MurphyStanford
(3)66TMorgan MosesVirginia
(3)78GSpencer LongNebraska
(4)102CBBashaud BreelandClemson
(5)142WRRyan GrantTulane
(6)186RBLache SeastrunkBaylor
(7)217TETed BolserIndiana
(7)228KZach HockerArkansas

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 26 --><!-- begin inline 27 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]New Orleans Saints: C+[/h]
Top needs: CB, WR, OLB, T
Summary: I had wide receiver as a big need for the Saints, with Marques Colston soon to be 31, and Kenny Stills now asked to play a much bigger role after the departure of favorite Drew Brees targets like Lance Moore and Darren Sproles. They moved up to get Brandin Cooks -- Philly could have snapped him up at No. 22 -- and get an immediate threat. Cooks is an athletic dynamo, a sure-handed target who can create space, make short catches and turn them into longer gains, and will also take the top off a defense vertically on occasion. The Saints got a promising CB in Round 2 with Stan Jean-Baptiste, but he needs a lot of work, particularly in learning how to tackle more effectively. Still, he's a worthy project. Khairi Fortt fits as the OLB I'd suggested, and Vinnie Sunseri has a chance to stick because he's a sharp player who can translate the Rob Ryan defense, which demands a safety with smarts. Ronald Powell is worth a flyer based on the hope that he stays healthy. The question for me is depth at tackle. They like Terron Armstead, but it's a position I would have looked at earlier. Cooks is a win, and it's a lot of "We'll see" after that.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)20WRBrandin CooksOregon State
(2)58CBStan Jean-BaptisteNebraska
(4)126LBKhairi ForttCal
(5)167DBVinnie SunseriAlabama
(5)169OLBRonald PowellFlorida
(6)202TTavon RooksKansas State

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 27 --><!-- begin inline 28 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]New England Patriots: C[/h]
Top needs: TE, DL, S, RB
Value: C-
Summary: The Patriots should be better in 2014 than they were in 2013. They get significant pieces back on defense, and the unrest they experienced on offense (not to mention the youth at WR) is a year removed. Because of that, they took a player in Round 1 who needs to play a limited role this season due to health concerns, and a player in Round 2 who hopefully doesn't see a snap. Dominique Easley can be special when healthy -- watch him in the Sept. 7, 2013, game against Miami -- but two ACL tears dot his profile, including a season-ender in 2013, so you're looking for impact on a rotational basis -- say, 400 or so snaps. For me, that doesn't make him a bad pick, but certainly a reach. It's about maximizing the pick slot. I really like Bryan Stork, and adding him, Cameron Fleming and Jon Halapio really strengthens the depth chart. James White hits a need at RB, and he holds on to the ball. Jeremy Gallon is dangerous after the catch, and offers depth in the slot. I can see him becoming a factor. In Jimmy Garoppolo, you have a nice developmental talent, and potentially a commodity. If Easley stays healthy, this draft looks a lot better. New England just placed a pricey bet that he will.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)29DLDominique EasleyFlorida
(2)62QBJimmy GaroppoloEastern Illinois
(4)105CBryan StorkFlorida State
(4)130RBJames WhiteWisconsin
(4)140OLCameron FlemingStanford
(6)179GJon HalapioFlorida
(6)198DEZach MooreConcordia (MN)
(7)206CBJemea ThomasGeorgia Tech
(7)244WRJeremy GallonMichigan

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 28 --><!-- begin inline 29 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Carolina Panthers: C[/h]
Top needs: WR, T, CB, S
Needs: C-
Summary: For a team that had a huge season in 2013, the Panthers entered the 2014 draft with some major needs. The biggest needs for me were on offense, where Cam Newton is facing the bad combination of a lack of guys to catch passes and a lack of protection when he drops back. Kelvin Benjamin is a tantalizing physical talent at 6-foot-5 and 240 pounds, with the ability to make contested catches. But sometimes those catches are contested because he's not able to separate consistently. Benjamin ran 4.61 in Indy which, while great for his size, reflects the fact that he's not a burner. I think Jordan Matthews could have been a good fit there, but Carolina placed a bet on Benjamin's upside. Kony Ealy was a decent value in Round 2, but he'll need time to learn how to be a three-down defensive end. Trai Turner is a favorite of mine as a guard prospect, but questions at tackle linger. The Panthers went after help in the secondary later on, but I saw a handful of safeties I might have considered ahead of Tre Boston. I think the Panthers got some good football players, but some of the concerns I had regarding roster holes remain. How quickly Benjamin can make the leap and produce for Newton will be key.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)28WRKelvin BenjaminFlorida State
(2)60DEKony EalyMissouri
(3)92GTrai TurnerLSU
(4)128DBTre BostonUNC
(5)148CBBene BenwikereSan Jose State
(6)204RBTyler GaffneyStanford

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 29 --><!-- begin inline 30 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Buffalo Bills: C-[/h]
Top needs: OT, S, TE, WR
Needs: D+
Summary: Sammy Watkins isn't just going to be a really good player, he already is one. He was my No. 2 prospect in the entire draft. EJ Manuel has a weapon, a player who can turn simple throws into big gains, and that matters because I still don't know how effective a downfield thrower Manuel is. My issue is that this draft is loaded with wide receivers -- there are good ones already signing as undrafted free agents as I type this, in fact -- and the Bills paid a significant price to get Watkins. A future first-round pick is always a heavy price, but they threw in a fourth as well. Think about this: the Jags took a QB one slot ahead of Watkins, but still managed to get Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson in Round 2. Watkins could be a star; the problem is he has to be, and soon. After Watkins, the draft is really mixed here. Cyrus Kouandjio is an enticing talent but carries knocks on consistency and questions on durability. The hope is he can settle in at right tackle, but he really struggles with speed rushers, which is a problem. Preston Brown is a solid inside linebacker, and Cyril Richardson can be good but had a poor draft process. Seantrel Henderson is a hedge on the Kouandjio bet, but he's a pretty significant character concern. The misses here for me are tight end, no safety and what I consider a massive price to pay for Watkins. I love the player, but losing a future first-rounder stings.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)4WRSammy WatkinsClemson
(2)44TCyrus KouandjioAlabama
(3)73LBPreston BrownLouisville
(4)109CBRoss CockrellDuke
(5)153GCyril RichardsonBaylor
(7)221OLBRandell JohnsonFlorida Atlantic
(7)237TSeantrel HendersonMiami (FL)

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 30 --><!-- begin inline 31 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Indianapolis Colts: D+[/h]
Top needs: S, G, OLB, WR
Needs: C-
Value: D
Summary: Unfortunately, the Trent Richardson trade factors hugely into this draft, and that pretty much kills the grade. Think about this: we just went through the second year in a row where a RB wasn't drafted in Round 1, and this year it wasn't even close. Bishop Sankey came off the board at No. 54, and Sankey is a good player and filled a clear need. And don't say I just made up my mind on this after Richardson struggled. I was pretty clear on it then. So the Colts have little to show for Round 1. In Round 2, they get Jack Mewhort, but they need him to change positions, and a very good center, Marcus Martin, was available. Donte Moncrief is a fabulous athlete, but the tape is merely OK, and he wasn't even the best receiver on his own college team. Hopefully Mewhort works out, but safety is still an issue, and the pass rush didn't get any help, so hopefully Bjoern Werner takes a big step this season while Robert Mathis continues his greatness. The big hope is Richardson discovers some magic and makes this draft look better.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(2)59TJack MewhortOhio State
(3)90WRDonte MoncriefMississippi
(5)166DEJonathan NewsomeBall State
(6)203ILBAndrew JacksonWestern Kentucky

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

(7)232GUlrick JohnGeorgia State

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
[h=1]Mel Kiper's 2014 NFL Draft Grades[/h][h=3]Jaguars, 49ers and Rams among teams with the highest marks[/h]By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN Insider
in.gif

The story of the draft is the acquisition of talent, but the story of NFL success is talent development. I know I can't grade a draft class regarding performance for at least a few years, which is a reason why I audit old drafts. But what I do here is assess three main things:

• How much overall talent did a team add based on board position?
• How effectively did they address key personnel needs?
• How efficient were they in maneuvering on the draft board?

And remember: I have to use my player grades as the prism. I'm well aware all NFL teams see players differently -- I have many debates with GMs throughout the year about players. I might have a high grade on a linebacker many teams see as a late-round pick. That's the reality of player evaluations.

Grading Scale: In my mind an A means it's exceptional; a B is pretty good; a C means average, with hits and misses; a D means below average with some big questions. An F ... well, I don't see any.

<!-- WRITEUP -->
i

[h=3]San Francisco 49ers: A[/h]

Top needs: CB, WR, LB, DL
Needs: A-
Value: A

Summary: The most depressing thing about San Francisco's draft is I don't even think Todd McShay and I have a single argument to be found here. The Niners just got so many good players. Jimmie Ward will cover, attack the line of scrimmage, and will play fast and fearless. If you call that a reach, remember that Arizona had taken Deone Bucannon at No. 27, so there were already three safeties off the board (not that Bucannon and Ward are that similar) and the 49ers knew if they didn't Ward there, they had no chance later. They got the No. 1 RB in the draft at No. 57. Frank Gore has a lot of miles on the odometer, LaMichael James may not be there long, and if Marcus Lattimore is your No. 1, you better have a 1-A. Carlos Hyde made sense and, again, he's the top RB in the draft. Marcus Martin is a future starter at center, Chris Borland is immediate depth at linebacker and has the experience to play now. Brandon Thomas is another 49ers redshirt, but could be a star guard when he comes back (he hurt his knee this spring, but would have gone in Round 2 otherwise). Bruce Ellington isn't a far cry from Brandin Cooks, but he went 86 picks later. It goes on and on. Dontae Johnson is solid and Aaron Lynch has developmental promise. I even like the pick at No. 245 -- Trey Millard is the top fullback in the draft and was another guy who dropped on some boards after a knee injury. What I like about this draft is the 49ers are in a championship window, and they still managed to balance both the need for immediate help and also got a lot of talent for the future. The window can remain open.
<!-- END WRITEUP -->
[h=4]2014 draft picks[/h]
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)30SJimmie WardNorthern Illinois
(2)57RBCarlos HydeOhio State
(3)70CMarcus MartinUSC
(3)77ILBChris BorlandWisconsin
(3)100GBrandon ThomasClemson
(4)106WRBruce EllingtonSouth Carolina
(4)129DBDontae JohnsonNC State
(5)150LBAaron LynchSouth Florida
(5)170DBKeith ReaserFlorida Atlantic
(6)180DBKenneth AckerSouthern Methodist
(7)243DEKaleb RamseyBoston College
(7)245FBTrey MillardOklahoma

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<OFFER></OFFER>

<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Jacksonville Jaguars: A[/h]
Top needs: QB, DE, WR, OL
Summary: I thought the Jags did a tremendous job, which is something I mentioned more than once during our broadcast. Even if I'm not in love with the value of Blake Bortles at No. 3, consider: It really only looks shakier given where some of the other QBs landed. If the Jags truly believe they have their franchise QB, can they sit and hope the Browns don't take him at No. 4? Given how mum they were on their interest in Bortles, they couldn't assume the Browns weren't playing the same game. You see your future, you take the shot. The real win here is how they targeted weapons that could help them win with Chad Henne or Bortles in the near term. Would you rather give up a first-round pick for Sammy Watkins, or wait and get Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson in the second round? There are questions about how well Bortles can pick apart defenses down the field, but Lee and Robinson can turn short catches into yardage. They needed receivers regardless of who is playing QB, and they added a pair of good ones. Brandon Linder fills a quietly big need at guard (and the coaching staff knows him) and Telvin Smith is Lavonte David Lite, an undersized linebacker with instincts and range. Aaron Colvin is a possible redshirt pick, a versatile CB who could have gone in Round 2 if he hadn't torn an ACL at the Senior Bowl. That said, I wouldn't be shocked if he plays in 2014. Chris Smith was productive at Arkansas as a pass-rusher and provides depth. If there's a question it's whether the Jags are better on defense, particularly the pass rush. But they have some young guys coming up on that side of the ball, too. And if you think you have your QB, you need to help him. They did.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)3QBBlake BortlesCentral Florida
(2)39WRMarqise LeeUSC
(2)61WRAllen RobinsonPenn State
(3)93GBrandon LinderMiami (FL)
(4)114CBAaron ColvinOklahoma
(5)144LBTelvin SmithFlorida State
(5)159DEChris SmithArkansas
(6)205CLuke BowankoVirginia
(7)222RBStorm JohnsonCentral Florida

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 1 --><!-- begin inline 2 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Pittsburgh Steelers: A-[/h]
Top needs: CB, WR, DL, OL
Needs: B+
Value: A-
Summary: Even though the Steelers could have done more at cornerback, it was hard to pass on players they took where they did, and it adds up to one of the best 2014 draft classes. Ryan Shazier may not have looked like an obvious fit, but this is very good linebacker with special athleticism coming into Dick LeBeau's system. When you get a player who can play right away for LeBeau where he will, I like the pick. Stephon Tuitt, if he's at his 2012 level, he can be a stud. I really thought he could end up late in Round 1. The Steelers needed to add D-line help, and Tuitt is a great addition. He fits what they do in terms of his physical profile, and has the ability to disrupt. Dri Archer is just pure explosiveness -- limit the reps, but expect some highlights. We're talking 4.26 speed. Martavis Bryant is an exceptional athlete, with 4.4 speed and great length. They've nailed the mid-round WR picks before. Shaq Richardson helps at CB, and Wesley Johnson gives them a versatile offensive line option. Daniel McCullers is one to watch, because he's simply massive, but doesn't do enough with his size. Did they do enough at cornerback? Maybe not. But they got everything else right.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)15OLBRyan ShazierOhio State
(2)46DEStephon TuittNotre Dame
(3)97RBDri ArcherKent State
(4)118WRMartavis BryantClemson
(5)157DBShaq RichardsonArizona
(5)173TWesley JohnsonVanderbilt
(6)192ILBJordan ZumwaltUCLA
(6)215DEDaniel McCullersTennessee
(7)230TERob BlanchflowerUMass

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 2 --><!-- begin inline 3 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Houston Texans: A-[/h]
Top needs: QB, OLB, RT, DE
Value: A-
Summary: The Texans drafted a generational talent in Jadeveon Clowney, safely the top prospect in the entire draft, and somehow the focus was on what they would do at quarterback. Swing a trade? Draft another Carr? Well, they did end up getting a potential starter in Tom Savage, and I liked the value -- they grabbed Savage in Round 4 when I wouldn't have been surprised to see him go a round earlier. Make no mistake: Savage is no short-term savior. But the potential is there. The Texans got stronger in the trenches. Xavier Su'a-Filo is the best guard in the draft, and not only is C.J. Fiedorowicz an underrated athlete at tight end, he can actually block somebody, which isn't common in this tight end class. On defense, Louis Nix III is a steal at No. 83 if he's in decent shape, and with him, J.J. Watt and Clowney around, the Texans look awfully versatile up front. Jay Prosch is a bruiser at fullback, and I think Andre Hal could be a decent depth addition at CB soon. The Texans really could have gone a few different directions with that No. 1 pick and justified it. But they put aside questions of scheme, need, and everything else and simply took a potentially great player. I did think they could add a tackle, but Su'a-Filo makes them better up front, and will help the run game. if Nix and Savage pan out, this could be a great class.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)1DEJadeveon ClowneySouth Carolina
(2)33GXavier Su'a-FiloUCLA
(3)65TEC.J. FiedorowiczIowa
(3)83DTLouis Nix IIINotre Dame
(4)135QBTom SavagePittsburgh
(6)177DEJeoffrey PaganAlabama
(6)181RBAlfred BlueLSU
(6)211FBJay ProschAuburn
(7)216CBAndre HalVanderbilt
(7)256SLonnie BallentineMemphis

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 3 --><!-- begin inline 4 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]St. Louis Rams: A-[/h]
Top needs: OT, S, WR, CB
Summary: I've been saying this roster was going to be loaded, and it's really there. Les Snead and Co. just keep piling up talent. The draft only dips for two small reasons, but I'll get to those later. Starting at the top, Greg Robinson brings that rare potential to be a star offensive tackle. Yeah, it's projection. But Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden -- these are the names that get mentioned by really smart football people. Robinson doesn't have to start at tackle, more likely left guard, which will aid his development. Aaron Donald isn't the same type of player as Sheldon Richardson, but could be the Richardson of 2013. By that I mean the breakout rookie, taken in the same range, and plugged into a situation that was already considered a strength. Richardson blew up on a solid Jets D-line; Donald can do the same here. The kid is a stud, and the this line is terrifying. Yes, the Rams needed a corner, and not only does the certainty of pressure make the secondary better, they got a versatile talent in Lamarcus Joyner. He's undersized, but he's that hybrid in the secondary, a slot safety type who is on the field all the time. Tre Mason is solid depth at RB, and Maurice Alexander has starting potential. Garrett Gilbert isn't a player I'd consider a challenger at QB, but there's upside, and they needed the depth. E.J. Gaines adds depth at corner. While there isn't much of an immediate need for Michael Sam along the defense line, he gives them depth in the pass rush and is a high-effort player with a chance to contribute despite average athleticism. I agree with Jeff Fisher that he's a good value late in Round 7. The Rams get dinged a little because I think they should have taken at least one WR in a draft loaded with them, and the fact that they still have a question at QB -- after all, this draft haul is tied to the fact that they opted not to draft Robert Griffin III. They have a ton of talent, but the QB question lingers.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)2TGreg RobinsonAuburn
(1)13DTAaron DonaldPittsburgh
(2)41DBLamarcus JoynerFlorida State
(3)75RBTre MasonAuburn
(4)110SMaurice AlexanderUtah State
(6)188DBE.J. GainesMissouri
(6)214QBGarrett GilbertSMU
(7)226TMitchell Van DykPortland State
(7)241SC.B. BryantOhio State
(7)249DEMichael SamMissouri
(7)250CDemetrius RhaneyTennessee State

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 4 --><!-- begin inline 5 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Philadelphia Eagles: B+[/h]
Top needs: OLB, S, CB, WR
Summary: The Eagles did a solid job of adding talent and hitting needs, making up for one questionable decision early with a number of solid ones down the board. Philadelphia moved down and then selected Marcus Smith, the No. 85-ranked player on my board. But while I didn't love the value, again, it came after the Eagles had moved down and accrued a little value. And he hits a need, because they're too reliant on Trent Cole as a pass-rusher and Smith can turn the corner and provide some pressure. The only receivers Philly has under contract past next season are Riley Cooper, Jeff Maehl and Jeremy Maclin (who is coming back from an ACL injury). The Eagles don't just need receivers, they need projectable players that can help soon. I thought Jordan Matthews would have made sense at No. 22, much less 42. I love that pick. Josh Huff offers underrated after-the-catch explosiveness -- he had 24 catches of 20-plus yards in 2013 -- has obvious familiarity with Kelly's methods and he's a guy who really competes and makes contested catches. Jaylen Watkins is a good value in Round 3, and was the first Florida CB off the board in a year where they have a few decent ones. Ed Reynolds is a player I thought could have been a second-round type had he stayed at Stanford another year, but he can give the Eagles a future potential starter and really anticipates well. Taylor Hart is another guy Kelly knows well, and could help the pass rush at some point. The Smith value was iffy, but I understand it, and they did a solid job thereafter.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)26OLBMarcus SmithLouisville
(2)42WRJordan MatthewsVanderbilt
(3)86WRJosh HuffOregon
(4)101CBJaylen WatkinsFlorida
(5)141DETaylor HartOregon
(5)162DBEd ReynoldsStanford
(7)224DTBeau AllenWisconsin

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 5 --><!-- begin inline 6 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Oakland Raiders: B+[/h]
Top needs: WR, OLB, OT, CB
Value: B+
Summary: Just another smart, sensible draft for the Raiders where they consistently maximized value and hit some clear needs ... wait, did I just write that? In all seriousness, I've certainly taken my shots at some past Raiders' drafts, but I think they've been pretty reasonable, and the franchise really has suffered in recent years due to a lack of top-end talent. But Oakland got better this weekend. They stayed put at No. 5 and got Khalil Mack, who not only offers them an added pass-rusher, but a great deal of versatility. He doesn't have to be a great pass-rusher to be a very good NFL player right away. The Derek Carr pick represents good value, and also a proper situation for a QB to make a big leap in competition from a developmental standpoint. Carr shouldn't start, and doesn't have to with Matt Schaub there. Gabe Jackson is the No. 2 guard in the draft on my board, so he's a value at No. 81. They got a nice D-tackle prospect in Justin Ellis, a block-eater who can help the linebackers move more freely, and Keith McGill is a solid developmental bet given his frame -- he's 6-foot-3 and over 210 pounds. The Raiders added some intrigue late, but this draft should be defined by the balance of talent, planning and immediate help.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)5OLBKhalil MackBuffalo
(2)36QBDerek CarrFresno State
(3)81GGabe JacksonMississippi State
(4)107DTJustin EllisLouisiana Tech
(4)116CBKeith McGillUtah
(7)219CBTravis CarrieOhio
(7)235DEShelby HarrisIllinois State
(7)247SJonathan DowlingWestern Kentucky

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 6 --><!-- begin inline 7 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Tampa Bay Buccaneers: B+[/h]
Top needs: WR, OG, OLB, DE
Summary: How we feel about this draft in a year or two has a lot to do with a pair of players who weren't in the draft, and yet were the focus of it. Josh McCown is the presumed starter at QB, and Mike Glennon may still have a future in Tampa. And now with Mike Evans and Austin Seferian-Jenkins in town to go with Vincent Jackson, the Bucs have a bunch of small forwards at wide receiver. But if McCown doesn't cut it, and Glennon isn't the answer, does Johnny Manziel succeed in Cleveland and leave this front office wondering? I don't dislike the Evans pick at all, and ASJ's slot at No. 38 is pretty much in line with where I have him ranked. It's just now on the starting QB to make sure this works. Charles Sims is a solid depth addition in the backfield, and Kadeem Edwards could be a needed guard solution. Robert Herron offers really good speed late in the draft. Lovie Smith and the Bucs clearly feel good about the defense. They effectively targeted the offense, and didn't make mistakes on value. Now it's up to a QB to live up.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)7WRMike EvansTexas A&M
(2)38TEAustin Seferian-JenkinsWashington
(3)69RBCharles SimsWest Virginia
(5)143GKadeem EdwardsTennessee State
(5)149TKevin PamphilePurdue
(6)185WRRobert HerronWyoming

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 7 --><!-- begin inline 8 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Cincinnati Bengals: B[/h]
Top needs: CB, OL, DE, QB
Summary: I had cornerback as the top need given Leon Hall's recent healthy history and the age of Terence Newman and Adam Jones, and the Bengals added a solid, projectable player in Darqueze Dennard -- plus, the value was good at No. 24. Dennard is versatile and he doesn't back down from contact. He's an early starter. I don't see why you take Jeremy Hill in front of Carlos Hyde, but I certainly don't mind them adding that style of runner to balance what Giovani Bernard brings. The Law Firm could be closing in Cincinnati. William Clarke can help after the departure of Michael Johnson, and Russell Bodine adds needed interior strength and depth -- I say strength because he really is freakishly strong. AJ McCarron had a really poor draft process, starting with opting out of the Senior Bowl, but you can't deny that getting him in Round 5 is good value. Lavelle Westbrooks is one to watch as more depth at corner. Pretty good draft for the Bengals, who seem to do this every year.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)24CBDarqueze DennardMichigan State
(2)55RBJeremy HillLSU
(3)88DEWilliam ClarkeWest Virginia
(4)111CRussell BodineUNC
(5)164QBAJ McCarronAlabama
(6)212OLBMarquis FlowersArizona
(7)239WRJames WrightLSU
(7)252DBLavelle WestbrooksGeorgia Southern

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 8 --><!-- begin inline 9 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Baltimore Ravens: B[/h]
Top needs: FS, TE, RT, WR
Summary: The Ravens put together another solid draft, with one notable question. They got some really good players who will contribute immediately, and peppered in some high-upside picks that could make this draft look outstanding down the road. I didn't have linebacker as a big need, but the front office probably found it hard to pass on the best inside linebacker in the draft, and they pulled the trigger on C.J. Mosley. The Ravens also got another potential immediate starter in the third round when they drafted Terrence Brooks. When you consider the run on safeties we saw early (Jimmie Ward is something of a hybrid) getting Brooks where they did looks like a coup. The Ravens added a Gator last year at one safety position and now have a Seminole to play the other. The upside is along the defensive line. Timmy Jernigan could be a really good player if he plays to the best of his tape -- he was an impact player for the Noles. Brent Urban is a really intriguing 3-4 defensive end prospect, with great length and good quickness at nearly 6-foot-7. My question would be whether they got enough in the passing game. Crockett Gillmore is the hope there, a big target with a wide catch-radius who can stretch the seam. The addition of Steve Smith calms some worries about the weapons Joe Flacco has at his disposal, but Smith is 35 and they could be looking at wide receiver next year. Keith Wenning could be a solid backup relatively soon and is worth a late grab.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)17ILBC.J. MosleyAlabama
(2)48DTTimmy JerniganFlorida State
(3)79STerrence BrooksFlorida State
(3)99TECrockett GillmoreColorado State
(4)134DEBrent UrbanVirginia
(4)138RBLorenzo TaliaferroCoastal Carolina
(5)175CJohn UrschelPenn State
(6)194QBKeith WenningBall State
(7)218WRMike CampanaroWake Forest

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 9 --><!-- begin inline 10 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]New York Jets: B[/h]
Top needs: WR, CB, TE, S
Summary: The Jets came into this draft committed to add playmakers to an offense that was hopelessly bereft of them in 2014. They did that, but also remembered who the head coach was and nailed a pretty good safety, a position that I considered a need coming in. Calvin Pryor should start at strong safety, and will quickly make his mark as a playmaker. They are different kinds of safeties, but I had Pryor rated ahead of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix. Jace Amaro is an obvious fit, and adds a reliable, big target to the passing game. Jalen Saunders offers some shiftiness and slot depth, and Shaq Evans is solid if not a burner. Dakota Dozier can become a starter, and if Dexter McDougle plays up to his potential he could be a steal at No. 80. He was down on some boards after getting hurt, but I've seen him a lot and can see why Rex likes him. Tajh Boyd is a nice little stowaway that far down on the board when you consider his arm. If you're going to take a shot at QB late, go for the ceiling. I thought the Jets did a nice job with my one question being whether they really added a player in the passing game that will scare defenses. Hopefully Amaro becomes that guy.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)18SCalvin PryorLouisville
(2)49TEJace AmaroTexas Tech
(3)80CBDexter McDougleMaryland
(4)104WRJalen SaundersOklahoma
(4)115WRShaq EvansUCLA
(4)137GDakota DozierFurman
(5)154LBJeremiah GeorgeIowa State
(6)195CBBrandon DixonNW Missouri State
(6)209WRQuincy EnunwaNebraska
(6)210DEI.K. EnemkpaliLouisiana Tech
(6)213QBTajh BoydClemson
(7)233OLBTrevor ReillyUtah

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 10 --><!-- begin inline 11 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Green Bay Packers: B[/h]
Top needs: S, TE, WR, ILB
Summary: Another solid draft. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix was an easy call at No. 21. I thought he'd be off the board by then, potentially to Dallas or Baltimore, so Green Bay got a good value there, and he addresses a need at free safety, where the Packers didn't have much. Davante Adams isn't explosive, but he catches everything and will flourish with Aaron Rodgers (This tends to happen with good receivers catching passes in Green Bay lately.) I really thought they needed a WR or two in this draft, and I loved the additions of Jeff Janis and Jared Abbrederis. If you saw Abbrederis simply steal Bradley Roby's lunch money in Columbus, you know he can battle NFL-level athletes, and Janis is a major physical talent for a seventh-rounder. He dropped on hand size and competition level coming out of D-II. Carl Bradford is a player I really like, and I'll be interested to see if they move him around a little bit. I thought inside linebacker was a big need even though that's typically something you can address later, but they didn't touch it. (Does Bradford fit?) There's not a point where you feel like the Packers flat out got a steal, but aside from the question at ILB, there's not much not to like.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)21SHa Ha Clinton-DixAlabama
(2)53WRDavante AdamsFresno State
(3)85DTKhyri ThorntonSouthern Miss
(3)98TERichard RodgersCal
(4)121LBCarl BradfordArizona State
(5)161CCorey LinsleyOhio State
(5)176WRJared AbbrederisWisconsin
(6)197CBDemetri GoodsonBaylor
(7)236WRJeff JanisSaginaw Valley (MI)

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 11 --><!-- begin inline 12 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]San Diego Chargers: B[/h]
Top needs: CB, NT, WR, OLB
Summary: They didn't have many picks, but I think the Chargers came out pretty well. I really like Jason Verrett, a competitive cover man who won't shy away from contact. San Diego gets the added bonus of grabbing a CB that would have been the ideal fit for division rival Denver a handful of picks later. I had OLB down as a need, and the fact that Jeremiah Attaochu was there had to be a pleasant surprise. Chris Watt is a good interior blocker and could be used soon, and Ryan Carrethers gives them the depth they needed up the middle on defense. Marion Grice has really good hands out of the backfield and Tevin Reese, while undersized, is an absolute burner who could find a role given the lack of a similar player. The Chargers didn't have a special draft in terms of value, but they added pretty solid pieces and crossed needs off the list. Because they had only six picks they lose a little value, but they worked the board well.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)25CBJason VerrettTCU
(2)50OLBJeremiah AttaochuGeorgia Tech
(3)89GChris WattNotre Dame
(5)165DTRyan CarrethersArkansas State
(6)201RBMarion GriceArizona State
(7)240WRTevin ReeseBaylor

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 12 --><!-- begin inline 13 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Miami Dolphins: B[/h]
Top needs: RT, G, DE, DB
Summary: This was a really quiet draft class in terms of star appeal, but the Dolphins did a pretty solid job of hitting their biggest needs. Ja'Wuan James isn't a player many people know, but I thought he'd land here, and he did in a move that makes a lot of sense. The Dolphins need an immediate starter at right tackle, and that's James. Just plug him in and check it off. Jarvis Landry doesn't fill a major need at WR, but he's a really reliable target who catches absolutely everything. Billy Turner was a tackle at North Dakota State, but could fill another pretty big need they have at guard. Walt Aikens will need some time as he makes a big leap in competition, but is a needed addition at cornerback. Jordie Tripp could offer help at linebacker as a guy who is explosive out of his drop and will play with passion. Matt Hazel is a sleeper at WR, and like Landry, has good hands. This draft was about Ryan Tannehill. Stop the constant sacks, give him a chance to take another step. I think Miami succeeded.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)19TJa'Wuan JamesTennessee
(2)63WRJarvis LandryLSU
(3)67TBilly TurnerND State
(4)125CBWalt AikensLiberty
(5)155TEArthur LynchGeorgia
(5)171OLBJordan TrippMontana
(6)190WRMatt HazelCoastal Carolina
(7)234DETerrence FedeMarist

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 13 --><!-- begin inline 14 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]Arizona Cardinals: B[/h]
Top needs: OLB, S, WR, QB
Summary: The Cardinals did pretty well, and hit some needs. If you look across the NFC West, you see safety combinations that balance a big hitter with a guy that can really run, move around, cover the slot and make plays. Last year the Cardinals added Tyrann Mathieu, who was fantastic as a rookie before the ACL injury, and this year they added a hitter in Deone Bucannon. The Cardinals moved down, and that made what you could call a slight reach on Bucannon perfectly reasonable. I list OLB as a need here, but that could also be DE because the Cardinals will mix their base fronts, and an athlete like Kareem Martin is a good fit. He's a better athlete than he is a performer, but he could be good. Bruce Arians absolutely adored Heath Miller in Pittsburgh, and might see some of what he loved about Miller in Troy Niklas. John Brown was a guy I really liked because of the explosiveness -- witness the 4.34 40 time -- and he could become a solid third WR and also take return reps, preserving Mathieu and Patrick Peterson. Logan Thomas is a great developmental shot to take. Bruce Arians worked out Thomas in March, and loves the tools Thomas has. Will Thomas improve his accuracy? That's the question, and it's not at all easy to say he will, because accuracy and ball placement aren't things that often improve a great deal. At worst, he's Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson in practice because he can simulate that kind of athleticism.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)27SDeone BucannonWashington State
(2)52TETroy NiklasNotre Dame
(3)84DEKareem MartinUNC
(3)91WRJohn BrownPittsburg State
(4)120QBLogan ThomasVirginia Tech
(5)160DEEd StinsonAlabama
(6)196WRWalt PowellMurray State

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

<!-- end inline 14 --><!-- begin inline 15 --><!-- WRITEUP -->
i
[h=3]New York Giants: B[/h]
Top needs: TE, WR, OL, DL
Summary: Odell Beckham Jr. has a chance to be a really dynamic NFL player, a reliable pass-catcher with both the quick-twitch explosiveness to make plays after the catch, and the straight-line speed to run away from defenders. I thought Eric Ebron could be in play at No. 12, but Detroit took him at No. 10. Eli Manning gets a needed weapon in the passing game. The Giants then got more physical. Weston Richburg was a solid Round 2 value, a very good blocker with the chance to be a solid center for the next 10 years. I think it should be his job to lose. Jay Bromley was a reach for me -- I had a number of defensive tackles rated higher -- but "DT" doesn't do justice to the different kinds of fits you're looking for in a system, and I can see how Bromley makes sense there. Andre Brown led the Giants with 492 rushing yards last season and he's no longer around. Andre Williams gives the Giants a bruising runner to strengthen the depth chart. Devon Kennard and Bennett Jackson both have ability and provide needed depth. I had tight end as a need, but adding a weapon in the passing game was the real impetus there, and Beckham does that. Richburg will be a good one. I think the D-line needs more help, so Bromley will be a key.
RdPkPosPlayerCollege
(1)12WROdell Beckham Jr.LSU
(2)43CWeston RichburgColorado State
(3)74DTJay BromleySyracuse
(4)113RBAndre WilliamsBoston College
(5)152SNat BerheSan Diego State
(5)174OLBDevon KennardUSC
(6)187CBBennett JacksonNotre Dame

<THEAD>
</THEAD><TBODY>
</TBODY>

Tokens
Thanks for posting. Maybe it's sentimental but Kiper is my favorite draft analyst. He was the only draft guru when I first starting following.

hacheman@therx.com
Staff member
Tokens
Thanks for posting. Maybe it's sentimental but Kiper is my favorite draft analyst. He was the only draft guru when I first starting following.

Yeah he catches he!! from people because his draft position-predictions are always off, but everyone is and nobody can predict what happens in these things.

But his knowledge of each player's talents, history, and career stats are as good as anyone...

Tokens
Wow good stuff thanks man. Good to see that Tannehill being treated like a pinata at an Oakland bar mitzvah might happen a little less this year.

Tokens
Agree the Niners had a great draft. Hate the Jaguars draft.

Tokens
Just curious as to why? Every site and every analyst said they hit a home run. They got a top ranked QB who could potentially be a star. You also selected 2 of the top 6 wideouts in the draft. Their offense is shaping up nicely.

Agree the Niners had a great draft. Hate the Jaguars draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbplayer
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com