Forum: OFFSHORE FORUM - Online Sportsbetting - Mentioned in NY TIMES, WSJ, USA TODAY, & DRF. The internet's most popular and busiest sports betting forum. The place to discuss all kinds of sports and gambling related subjects.

Thread: Tour de france

J-Man Rx NFL Pick 4 Champion for 2005 kermit16's Avatar
    Today is a classic example of why I think the Tour De France presents great values to win some Money as most gamblers have no real idea of what's going on. Today's stage was won by Steve Cummings as the main CG contendors finished far behind. Why ? The breakaway riders were all well back in the standings. However it was another great day for Chris Froome as 5 minutes behind the winner there was an intense battle going on with the real leaders of the Tour. Quintana attacked on the steepest part of the final climb and only Chris Froome was able to respond. Froome edged out perhaps a second advantage on Quintana but Tejay Van Garderen who was in second place in the GC standing finished far back so Quintana now moved into second place but Froome now has over a 3 minute lead and the stages are few for anyone to overtake him barring a crash. Looks like there is a rare weather delay in the Open. I'll take a look at stage 15 and post later today. GL

I've taken a close look at stage 15 and I think it will be a stage won by a sprinter. I think the outcome will depend on whether or not the stronger sprinters can put enough pressure on the group of sprinters that have difficulty with climbs. However in my opinion, the main cat 2 climb is fairly short but also quite far from the finish line. This will allow enough time for the teams to get their sprinters back into contention in time for a final group sprint. I doubt that these teams that have good sprinters will allow any breakaways to escape far enough to win this stage. It should be an easy day for the main GC group but one never knows ! I think this group will gear up for their assaults on the tough Mountains in stages 19 and 20.

Classic sprinters finish coming up in the next 20 minutes or so as all the best are up front except Cavendish. Should be a fun finish !

Today's stage went strictly according to expectations. Easy day for GC main contenders and the day was a showdown by the top sprinters. Of course this year that top sprinter is Andre Greipel as He won his 3 rd stage in this year's tour already. The only top sprinter missing at the end was Mark Cavendish. Perhaps He's just given up as He has no chance for the green Jersey or perhaps He's saving his efforts for the sprint into Paris.

Ruben Plaza wins today's stage but I think the big story was stole by a very careless rider named Warren Barguil ! He has been involved in 3 crashes already and there is no question He was again at fault in today's potentially very dangerous crash that took out Sky's Geraint Thomas. Thomas has been the big star for Chris Froome's bid to win this year's tour and that scary looking crash might have caused very serious injury to Thomas. I'm not sure how he avoided the pole but thankfully he did manage to avoid a direct hit and with the help of some fans, He rejoined the race and finished close enough to the front peloton to retain his 6 th place standing in the GC. As for the Main GC race, it actually was pretty boring as they all finished in a close group so all finished with the same time ! Tomorrow is the final rest day. I certainly hope that there is some real action among the main contenders as they enter the last mountain stages in the Alps. Stages 19 and 20 are brutal but have the rest of the riders given up ?

RX Wizard
    Quote Originally Posted by kermit16 View Post
    Ruben Plaza wins today's stage but I think the big story was stole by a very careless rider named Warren Barguil ! He has been involved in 3 crashes already and there is no question He was again at fault in today's potentially very dangerous crash that took out Sky's Geraint Thomas. Thomas has been the big star for Chris Froome's bid to win this year's tour and that scary looking crash might have caused very serious injury to Thomas. I'm not sure how he avoided the pole but thankfully he did manage to avoid a direct hit and with the help of some fans, He rejoined the race and finished close enough to the front peloton to retain his 6 th place standing in the GC. As for the Main GC race, it actually was pretty boring as they all finished in a close group so all finished with the same time ! Tomorrow is the final rest day. I certainly hope that there is some real action among the main contenders as they enter the last mountain stages in the Alps. Stages 19 and 20 are brutal but have the rest of the riders given up ?

ha!!!!!! Chris is too strong, my friend. However as we saw with Thomas today shit can happen out there. Team HAS to protect Chris; they have the horses. NO WAY should he ever be alone with this size lead.
    Pinarello (Paris) 2012 , dura-ace c50, shimano ultegra Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Ricboff View Post
    ha!!!!!! Chris is too strong, my friend. However as we saw with Thomas today shit can happen out there. Team HAS to protect Chris; they have the horses. NO WAY should he ever be alone with this size lead.
    As you mentioned, Shit can happen so the race is NOT yet over as tomorrow's stage is a dangerous one. To respond to your statement that Chris Froome should never be left alone at this stage of the race with his sizable lead, I'd like to say that He never has been left alone in this year's Tour. Richie Porte and Thomas have been there for him at the finish part of every stage as it certainly wasn't Geraint Thomas's fault that some careless rider did a left turn and almost ended his Tour. Of course at the very steepest part of a tough mountain top stage, it is almost always up to Froome to finish the battle alone. The exception of course was in 2012 when Bradley Wiggins was simply unable to keep up with his so called HELPER Chris Froome on almost every mountain top finsih.
    As for tomorrow's stage, I am certainly not concerned about the climbs for Chris but am very concerned about the descents. Since a crash would appear to be the only obstacle that remains for Froome, I would think he would be content to lose a few seconds on the descent as he could reel in those seconds on the final climb. I see a breakaway winning this stage with a battle for KOM looming. Any odds on this stage would be appreciated and I'll be glad to give my thoughts.

RX Wizard
    agreed, descents much more dangerous-- and while descending stay clear from Contador !!!!! LOL!!!!!!!

'....i got this.'

Stage 17 odds...

Alejandro Valverde 7/1
    Nibali 7/1
    Froome 8/1
    Joaquim Rodriguez 10/1
    Romain Barden 14/1
    Thibaut Pinor 16/1
    Quintana 16/1
    Pierre Roland 20/1
    Jakob Fugslang 22/1
    Contador 22/1
    Rafal Majka 22/1

Plenty more buy they are all 30/1+

Quote Originally Posted by Uscsilb24 View Post
    Stage 17 odds...

Alejandro Valverde 7/1
    Nibali 7/1
    Froome 8/1
    Joaquim Rodriguez 10/1
    Romain Barden 14/1
    Thibaut Pinor 16/1
    Quintana 16/1
    Pierre Roland 20/1
    Jakob Fugslang 22/1
    Contador 22/1
    Rafal Majka 22/1

Plenty more buy they are all 30/1+
    First off since many of the lower odds listed are GC contenders, one must try to figure out whether the race will be won by someone in a breakaway group or IF the main contenders will not let anyone get too big of a lead. Last stage the peleton allowed a breakaway group to get over a 20 minute lead which guaranteed someone in that group would get the stage win. It's just my hunch but I don't think this stage is tough enough as far as the climbs go for anyone to actually gain very much time amongst the GC leaders. Therefor I believe there will again be 2 seperate races and the breakaway win rule the day. With that in mind, I doubt that the Yellow Jersey group will allow anyone in the top 10 of the standings to break away including Nibali. Therefor I would be thinking that Rodriquez, Barden, Pinot, Majka, Roland and Fugslang might be in a group that would be allowed some space in front. My favorite at 10/1 might just be Rodriquez but these type of stages are tough to win with just wagering on 1 rider. GL

Just a quick update. Tejay Van Garderen has taken sick during the early part of stage 17 and has abandoned the Tour. Very sad as He was solidly in 3 rd place and been looking good.

RX Wizard
    Froome had no problem handling Quintana's early attack......Quintana tried again late, and Froome caught him

Yes, Chris Froome and Team Sky continue to ride toward Paris ! Today's stage went pretty much as expected with a breakaway group once again allowed to gain a big advantage over the Yellow Jersey peleton. Simon Geschke attacked from the breakaway group and nobody was able to pull him back as He won his first Stage victory. However the " As Expected " was not the story for a few other riders as Tejay Van Garderen took sick and had to abandon the race. Also Contador took a fall and lost time on the descent. It now looks like the main race for the Yellow is down to a 2 man race with only Froome and Quintano able to match each other on the steep Mountain climbs. there are 3 more tough days in the Alps so as We saw today... anything can happen even to those riders in the top 5. I still don't see anyway Froome can lose unless He suffers a crash as a 3 minute lead is a lot at this stage of the Tour ! GL

Stage 18 featured a 1,2 finish by frenchmen as Romain Bardet sped out of the breakaway group to win the stage with Pierre Rolland finishing second. The main GC remained the same as Chris Froome was able to hold off all attacks throughout the stage. I have never seen the likes of the final climb up Lacets de Montvernier. I think they said 17 switchbacks in a short distance of 3 or 4 Km ! Awesome to see but I'm sure not fun to climb.
    When I looked over the stages prior to the start of this year's Tour, I kept looking at the 2 upcoming stages 19 and 20. If you only watch 2 stages, the next 2 would be a good place to start watching. Speaking of who's watching, I read an article that says attendence and interest in the Tour is up quite a bit. Apparently the fans are getting over the doping scandals a little or at least more fans think the doping is in the past. Of course the only country where the interest is slightly down is ........... you guessed it ... France. You don't think that has anything to do with the fact that a Frenchmen hasn't won the Tour since .......... I can't recall ! LOL GL

If someone would post some updated odds on the stage win tomorrow, I'll give my thoughts as I think the winner of stage 19 will be down to a very select few !

RX Wizard
    the defending Champion wins stage 19....

congrats to Nibali

Quintana, our planets best climber FINALLY loses Froome in the mountains. Team Sky could not hold and Chris had to break, Quintana gains 30 sec and a MUCH needed psychological boost. Tomorrow MUST BE Quintana's DAY , he must win big.........

it's judgement day tomorrow, in the mountains....

First off, no atta boy from me as Nibali wins todays stage ! As a matter of fact he gets a big Boo as I strongly feel he violated a long standing principle that has long prevailed in the Tour De France and the other big tours. You don't attack the Yellow Jersey when you know He has a mechanical malfunction. It was very apparent that Nibali looked right at Froome as Chris had pulled over to fix his chain problem. The rest of the peleton held back as Nibali turned and sped away on the attack. Total bush league and I hope that tomorrow He suffers and is denied a place on the podium in Paris ! Certainly not the way I would expect last year's Champion to conduct himself. The day belongs to Quintano who attacked on the final climb and gained 32 seconds on Chris Froome to cut Froome's advantage to 2 min 38 seconds. That's still a tough margin to gain as We enter tomorrow's final day in the Alps but it will make for an exciting stage tomorrow as Froome's Sky's team showed weakness and He was totally on his own to hold off the attack by Quintano. I'm not sure if Thomas was saving himself for tomorrow's final stage but he finished way back today. A ton of riders were facing possible time cuts so I haven't heard of the results of that which could eliminate a bunch of riders. It might come down to a close look at the fine print in the rule book ! I'll post more later ! GL

RX Wizard
    with all due respect, could you be making a mistake? we are at the mercy of tv angles, so i'ts possible he didn't see Froome with a mechanical issue. I can't find any news agency reporting poor sportsmanship by Nibali. Not a peep.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricboff View Post
    with all due respect, could you be making a mistake? we are at the mercy of tv angles, so i'ts possible he didn't see Froome with a mechanical issue. I can't find any news agency reporting poor sportsmanship by Nibali. Not a peep.
    Sorry but there is plenty of talk. It was crystal clear as He looked at Froome not once but twice ! Froome certainly mentioned it after the race and called it unsportsmanlike. Nibali denied it after the race but but you can believe what you want. I now think he's not only a poor sport but an outright liar ! It also appeared obvious that he had a brief word with another rider, perhaps Valverde before he turned and sped off in his attack. I will be rooting against him the rest of the race !

RX Wizard
    Chris has zero proof, zero. He didn't even see Nibali look at him. He has no clue what Nibali saw or didnt see. Good grief. Nibali had planned to make his attack at that part of the race, pre-planned. He's a Champion with a flawless track record. Poor call by Chris to act the ass post race.

"Nibali said he was "very disappointed" at the way Froome spoke to him at the finish with language "too hard and too unjust to be repeated.""

[QUOTE=Ricboff;11159123]Chris has zero proof, zero. He didn't even see Nibali look at him. He has no clue what Nibali saw or didnt see. Good grief. Nibali had planned to make his attack at that part of the race, pre-planned. He's a Champion with a flawless track record. Poor call by Chris to act the ass post race.

Zero proof ? Really ? Since when did this become a court case ? I have seen a still photo of Nibali turning his head and looking right at Froome from a distance of 5 to 7 feet away. Of course He saw Froome and Froome had every right to take up the issue with Nabali right after the race. You have forgot that Nibali came and confronted Froome during a early stage and accused wrongfully that Froome caused a crash. Nibali did apologize on that one. If Nibali had said after race that he saw Froome's mechanical problem but didn't consider that he was a threat to the yellow jersey, I would not be so hard on him... however to say He didn't see Froome's trouble is just plain BS. Every single live commentator agreed that Nibali looked right at Froome and obviously couldn't help but see him. They may have been divided on whether it was a outright violation of disrespecting the yellow jersey since he was so far back in time but I haven't heard anyone who actually thought he didn't see it. The fact that Froome was looking down at his back wheel obviously trying to quickly fix the problem doesn't mean that he wasn't aware of Nibali's unsportsmanlike stunt. All the other riders saw the same thing and of course there are a lot of pissed off riders and they talk both in the peleton and on the radio. We will just simply agree to disagree on this one ..OK ? To me and a lot of others, Nibali was the complete Ass ! To you, you are allowed your opinion that Froome was the Ass !

Let's move to the reality of this year's race ! Last year's winner Nibali is not going to win this years tour and you can take that to the bank.
    However tomorrow's stage 20 is not only the final contested day for the Yellow Jersey but it should be a classic. It's a brutal stage with not 1 but 2 HC climbs with the last being the final of the tour ! It's going to decide the winner and today's stage showed the first weakness in Froome but also his Sky team. It's a 2 rider race now with only Chris Froome and Quintano having any realistic chance. It would take an unbelievable finish to make up the 2 minute 38 second deficit but if the legs are weak....... anything can and sometimes does happen on a uphill finish like this. Any odds ?

RX Wizard
    A Frenchmen wins stage 20 , the most brutal mountain stage . Kudos to Pinot !!

quintana had to win and win huge . He, again blew by Froome . This time beating him by more than a minute . But not enough . Froome will win The Tour de France , barring a crash tomorrow . The key today was Team Sky was able to help Chris deep into the ride-how about the fantastic performance by Richie Porte - he hang until the last fee km's!!!

it's Froome's day tomorrow

Wow ! What a day it was as Thibaut Pinot won the final climb up the historic and iconic Alpe d'Huez ! The final climb got quite tense as Nairo Quintana launched a furious attack early on the ascent of this steep and long final Mountain top finish. He was opening up a lead of about 1 minute and 30 seconds over Chris Froome and He needed another minute. However Chris Froome didn't panic and with the help of his team Sky's Richie Porte's gutsy performance, Chris stayed composed and finished strongly to maintain his lead and he will win this year's Tour De France tomorrow. He will take a lead of 1 min and 8 second into tomorrow's final stage. What a tour this has been ! Just look at the top 5 finishers Chris Froome. Nairo Quintana, Alejandro Valverde, Vincenzo Nibali and Alberto Contador. There are no novices in this group ! Tomorrow's stage is largely ceremonial for most of the riders but it always is a day for the sprinters. I wanted to also note that Chris Froome also took over the king of the Mountain lead today and there are not enough points tomorrow available for anyone to overtake him so it turns out to be a doubly good day for Chris ! I really enjoyed this year's Tour as it was one of the more exciting I've seen in years. I will post later about my thoughts of tomorrow's sprint finish ! GL

Tomorrow will be the ride into Paris on the Champs-Elysees. This is strickly a day for the sprinters and for the rest of the field to enjoy the fact that they survived the Tour and celebrate their victory ! All the races have been dicided as Chris Froome has wrapped out both the Yellow Jersey as the winner of this year's Tour and also the King of the Mountain. Peter Sagan has won the Green Jersey for the 4 th straight year, Nairo Quintana has won the white Jersey, Movistar has won the team. So all that's up for grabs tomorrow is the bragging rights for winning the prestige of claiming the the biggest prize of all for the sprinters ! Andre Greipel has been awesome so He would be my pick unless the Alps have exhausted him. If that was the case I would take Peter Sagan or Kristoff. GL