Adrian Peterson (becoming political)

Search

Tokens
822 4322 12
Share this image:

As the Adrian Peterson allegations of child abuse mount – the latest one is a year old, and authorities took no action – a popular question has sprung up: Just how many kids does the great Minnesota Vikings running back have?
Good luck finding a firm answer. When asked by ESPN in 2013 how many kids he had, Peterson said, “I know the truth, and I’m comfortable with that knowledge.”
Spoken like somebody who has something to hide.
After Peterson’s 2-year old son – a child he never got to meet – died in 2013, the media began asking questions about Peterson’s off-the-field life, and the results were somewhat surprising.
A dancer at a gentleman’s club in Houston told the NY Post and TMZ that Peterson had fathered seven children – it’s unclear with how many women – but he “dutifully‘ pays child support.

Tokens
I don't know, seems like politics is everywhere. If nothing else all the things going on with the NFL are dominating the news, maybe even more than ISIS et al. Everyone is talking about child abuse but look at all the children he has sired (comparing him to a race horse lol). Which is worse. Is he taking financial responsibility for the kids, apparently but the child abuse is different. If you spend every day with your child you know them. If you don't you don't. You almost lose the right to discipline kids that you do not spend adequate time with much less know that well. Did the kid deserve to be disciplined, probably. But even so to what degree does Peterson have to discipline kids who probably feel abandoned. I guess it is just me but how all this reflects on the NFL has everything to do with the same thing, namely discipline. The general rule is that the penalty should fit the crime. In this case the NFL is the judge and jury. I see nothing wrong with suspending a player until civil proceedings are finalized. That makes more sense than letting them rack in the coins and being guilty the whole time. What if Peterson was a teacher. What would the ramifications be. What if Peterson was a government worker. What if he was a government worker who owes federal taxes (plenty of them). I usually blame the press but in this instance I think we all want some kind of uniform way to deal with this kind of stuff. Can your boss lay you off until a domestic event is dealt with legally. As I recall Peterson's dad spent a considerable amount of time in prison. These types of situations have so many angles to examine in order to get the whole story. I feel sorry for the abused child. I do not feel sorry for Peterson or the NFL.

Tokens
[h=1]Former Coach: Adrian Peterson’s Dad Was ‘A Firm Disciplinarian’[/h]September 15, 2014 6:25 AM

Share on email[URL="http://www.therxforum.com/#"]13[/URL]

View Comments
454867296-11.jpg
Adrian Peterson #28 of the Minnesota Vikings looks on from the sideline during a game against the St. Louis Rams at the Edward Jones Dome on Sept. 7, 2014 in St. Louis, Mo. (credit: Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images)

[h=4]Related Tags:[/h]adrian peterson, Child abuse, Minnesota Vikings, NFL, Ray Rice, Roger Goodell
[h=5]Featured Items[/h][h=5][/h][h=4]Sports Fan Insider[/h]Keep up with your favorite teams and athletes with daily updates.

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota Vikings star running back Adrian Peterson’s booking on a child abuse charge Saturday has created another crisis for the embattled NFL, already derided for not responding strongly enough to acts of domestic violence by its players.
It also has touched off a national debate about the role of corporal punishment in parenting.
In the eyes of a Texas grand jury, Peterson crossed the line when he repeatedly struck his son with a tree branch, or switch, in May. Peterson’s attorney has said he has never run from what happened — and that Peterson was inflicting the same discipline he endured as a child.
“Obviously, parents are entitled to discipline their children as they see fit, except when that discipline exceeds what the community would say is reasonable,” Montgomery County Prosecutor Phil Grant said about 12 hours after Peterson was booked and released from jail on $15,000 bond. He is charged with causing injury to a child age 14 or younger.
Peterson, one of the NFL’s most popular players and widely considered one of the best running backs to ever play, flew from Minnesota to Houston in the early morning hours after authorities indicted him on Friday evening. He has a home in both locations.
The Vikings almost immediately decided to deactivate him for Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots, and NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said on Saturday that Peterson’s case “will be reviewed under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.”
The situation comes as the NFL proceeds with a self-commissioned investigation by a former FBI director into how it handled the case of Ray Rice, who knocked his then-fiancee unconscious in an Atlantic City elevator. Ricewas released Monday from the Baltimore Ravens after a video surfaced that showed the violence. The NFL said it hadn’t seen the video before then, but a law enforcement source told the AP it was sent to a league executive’s office in April and provided a voice mail confirming it was received.
Unlike Rice’s situation, Peterson’s case is complicated by his stance that he meant his son no harm but rather was applying the same discipline he experienced growing up.
“Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son. He used the same kind of discipline with his child that he experienced as a child growing up in East Texas,” Peterson’s attorney, Rusty Hardin, said.
Steve Eudey, who coached Peterson as a young boy in Palestine, Texas, and has remained a family friend, said he has heard stories from Peterson about his father Nelson “being a firm disciplinarian.”
“Some of the things his dad did to him was to make him tough,” Eudey told The Associated Press.
Eudey said he had yet to speak to Peterson since his arrest, but said his actions were consistent with the type of upbringing he had.
“I will go to my grave defending Adrian, but at the same time you can’t harm a child, either,” Eudey said. “I know that was never his intent.”
Grant, the Texas prosecutor, said the grand jury felt the charge was warranted after spending several weeks reviewing “lots of evidence.”
It’s not unusual for people subjected to physical discipline as children to use corporal punishment against their own children, experts say, and courts will sometimes consider that as a mitigating factor when sentencing an abuser. Peterson faces up to two years in prison and a $10,000 fine if found guilty.
News of Peterson’s charges led several prominent athletes to tweet about their experiences with corporal punishment when they were children.
“Am I the only one that got hit with a switch? I had to go outside and pick my own switch. It taught values, respect (and) accountability,” former NBA star Tracy McGrady said. But he later qualified those remarks, tweeting, “Disciplining a child is vital. Of course any early physical punishment should be within reason, not overboard, and inside certain boundaries.”
While the legal process plays out, the NFL is facing a potential test case for the tougher penalties it declared last month for players involved with domestic violence.
Commissioner Roger Goodell announced an initial offense will draw a six-week suspension without pay, though “more severe discipline will be imposed if there are aggravating circumstances such as the presence or use of a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child.”
It is not clear if Peterson’s case will invoke those penalties.
Corporal punishment is legal in Texas, and the law spells out that non-deadly force against a child by a parent or guardian is permissible.
But the punishment is abusive if it causes injury. While a blow that causes a red mark that fades in an hour is not likely to be judged abusive, a blow that leaves a bruise, welt, or swelling, or requires medical attention, could be judged abusive. The child’s injuries will likely be under scrutiny as the case proceeds.
The guidelines also say while spanking with the bare, open hand is least likely to be abusive, use of an instrument “is cause for concern.”
The Vikings jumped ahead of the NFL and the legal system by shelving Peterson for the game Sunday. Two other teams — Carolina and San Francisco — have taken heat for allowing players involved in alleged recent domestic violence incidents to continue to play.
The team — and the league — will likely face scrutiny as they decide whether Peterson returns to the field as the legal process plays out. As of Saturday, no decision had been made about his outlook this season, and no court date had been set in Texas.

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
everything is political, and people love to hate, especially simple minded people with far too much time on their hands. Now don't get me wrong, I don't condone what AP did although I do condone tough love, I think his discipline was excessive. But I simply don't concur with the boatloads of people coming out of the woodwork figuratively calling for his head to roll. It's just so damn absurd

Conservatives, Patriots & Huskies return to glory
Handicapper
Tokens
has the race baiting Reverend Al or Gloria the whore Aldred chimed in yet? or is there no money in it for them?

Tokens
has the race baiting Reverend Al or Gloria the whore Aldred chimed in yet? or is there no money in it for them?

Eventually it will probably fall into the race category. Willie what are you thinking, Gloria is not a whore, she does not do anything for free.

Life's a bitch, then you die!
Tokens
everything is political, and people love to hate, especially simple minded people with far too much time on their hands. Now don't get me wrong, I don't condone what AP did although I do condone tough love, I think his discipline was excessive. But I simply don't concur with the boatloads of people coming out of the woodwork figuratively calling for his head to roll. It's just so damn absurd

Here’s one for you Willie. Another too much time on his hands guy being all sanctimonious.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...-vacancy-its-time-for-fans-to-start-quitting/

It’s a lengthy article, so here are a few excerpts.

Various corruptions of the NFL forced me to turn off the games forever, after 40 years as a devoted fan, and compelled me to write a book about my change of heart, “Against Football”. Now I am hearing from fans every day who are questioning their loyalty to the game, or who have abandoned it altogether. Even a few sports reporters and columnists are following suit. We’re witnessing a cultural sea change.

Even jock pundits who serve as de facto promoters of the NFL have been unable to ignore the ill omens. And political leaders are entering the fray, too. On Wednesday, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) suggested that lawmakers might revisit the “broad anti-trust exemptions granted [to the league] by Congress, and hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer benefit.” Thanks to deals cut with Congress in the 1960s, the NFL enjoys tax-exempt status as a “business league” and operates as a legal monopoly.

Just as worrying is the fact that major sponsors such as Marriott and FedEx have felt impelled to announce that they are monitoring the league’s conduct in the Rice matter. The disturbing details emerging about Peterson’s savage punishment of his son will no doubt induce further jitters in corporate boardrooms across the country. Having your brand associated with alleged wife and child beaters isn’t good business. And the prevalence of cognitive damage to former players is potentially a much more damaging story. In what other workplace would it be acceptable for 30 percent (or even 10 percent) of all employees to suffer permanent brain damage? I’m thinking our armed forces would certainly fall into that category.

Given the NFL’s own admission of the horrifying health risks posed to its players, the time has come for President Obama to stop serving as the nation’s fan-in-chief and to initiate a discussion about how to reduce the game’s violence, as well as its perverse and outsize role in our educational system. It’s time for fans to take a stand, too. Given the vast reach and resources of the NFL, and the slavish loyalty of its media enablers, fans tend to forget that they hold the power in this equation. The future of football will be determined not by a mass boycott or a government crackdown but by individual fans who confront the brutal realities of their favorite sport and act as their own consciences recommend.

Flag football? Anyone?

Tokens
Exactly where I was going. Obama would like football to be politically correct. In fact wants everything to be politically correct. No Hope, No Change.

Tokens
As the Adrian Peterson allegations of child abuse mount – the latest one is a year old, and authorities took no action – a popular question has sprung up: Just how many kids does the great Minnesota Vikings running back have?

Fuck this piece of Shit Petersen.

Anyway..... Ex Buf Bill Eric Moulds has 9 kids from 9 different women. One time he collided with another player in practice and when he got up said, "Easy man, I got 9 kids to feed!"

Tokens
[h=1]Not smiling now! Vikings star Adrian Peterson breaks cover to rejoin his team after arrest for whipping his four-year-old son - as billion-dollar sponsors Anheuser-Busch, Visa and others voice disapproval of NFL's handling of player scandals[/h]
  • Anheuser-Busch, Visa, McDonald's and Campbell Soup Co. are all speaking out against the NFL
  • The league makes nearly $1.1billion in corporate sponsorships alone - to say nothing of the advertising
  • Governor Mark Dayton said Adrian Peterson should not play football while he awaits trail on child abuse charges
  • Peterson has admitted to whipping his four-year-old son, but says he didn't mean to injure the boy
  • The Vikings kicked Peterson off the roster for last Sunday's game, but welcomed him back on Monday
  • Peterson, a record-breaking running back, is the Vikings' biggest star and highest-paid player

Tokens
Some of the NFL's top corporate sponsors like Anheuser-Busch, Visa and McDonald's have voiced disapproval over the league's handling of its player scandals - including the decision to allow Minnesota Vikings star Adrian Peterson to continue to play while he waiting trial on child abuse charges.
'We are disappointed and increasingly concerned by the recent incidents that have overshadowed this NFL season,' Anheuser-Busch, the makers of Budweiser and Bud Light beer, said.
'We are not yet satisfied with the league's handling of behaviors that so clearly go against our own company culture and moral code. We have shared our concerns and expectations with the league.'
Peterson was pictured today for the first time since his arrest Saturday for whipping his four-year-old son with a tree branch. Gone is the grin he showed off in his mugshot as he was booked into a Texas jail.
The NFL star seen leaving his Minneapolis, Minnesota, home to join his teammates for practice. The Vikings reinstated Peterson on Monday after booting him from the roster for just one game. Team owners announced that the Vikings' biggest name and highest-paid player would be back on the field this week and play in this Sunday's game.
Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton says that's unacceptable.

1410890596908_wps_1_EXCLUSIVE_PREMIUM_RATES_A.jpg

+8

Not smiling now: Adrian Peterson scowls as he leaves his home outside Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Tuesday in the first photos of him in public since his arrest Saturday on child abuse charges

1410894261912_wps_11_EXCLUSIVE_PREMIUM_RATES_A.jpg

+8

Peterson has admitted to whipping his son, but says he didn't mean to injure the boy. The Vikings kicked him off their roster for one game - but reinstated him on Monday

1410906943344_wps_12_EXCLUSIVE_NFL_Star_Adrian.jpg

Peterson was pictured driving away from the Vikings' practice facilities on Tuesday after rejoining his team on the field

Tokens
'Whipping a child to the extent of visible wounds, as has been alleged, should not be tolerated in our state. Therefore, I believe the team should suspend Mr. Peterson, until the accusations of child abuse have been resolved by the criminal justice system,' Gov Dayton said in a statement today.
Anheuser-Busch, McDonald's, Visa and Campbell Soup Co. are among NFL sponsors who issued statements and said they have questioned the league over the handling of the arrests of Peterson and Baltimore Ravens star Ray Rice.
Radisson Hotels said Monday it was suspended its sponsorship of the Vikings over the allegations against Peterson.
The NFL makes nearly $1.1billion a year for brands to associate themselves with the league. That figure doesn't even count the billions more the brands spend on advertising.

The NFL responded by saying: 'We understand. We are taking action and there will be much more to come.'
Peterson has admitted he whipped the boy with a switch in May - but says he was only handing out the same kind of discipline he had as a child and claims he never meant to injure the boy.
1410891314740_wps_8_This_photo_provided_by_th.jpg

+8

Grinning: Peterson smiled in his mugshot after he was arrested Saturday on child abuse charges

Police photographed numerous open wounds across the four-year-old's legs, back and buttocks. The boy even sustained wounds to his genitals.
Peterson is also now accused of injuring another young son last June, a month after the whipping.
A photo shows the boy suffering from a head wound covered by two bandages, while other images reveal a scar over his right eye.
Peterson's importance to the Vikings is hard to overstate. He is a former MVP who hold several NFL records for rushing. His six-year, $86million contract makes him by far the highest-paid player on the team.
His 1,266 rushing yards last season accounted for nearly a quarter of the entire team's offense. He scored ten of the team's 45 touchdowns.
Unlike a previous case involving former cornerback Chris Cook, the Vikings have decided to allow Peterson to return to the field while the legal process unfolds.
In 2011, the Vikings suspended cornerback Chris Cook with pay after he was arrested for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend and barred him from all team activities while his trial played out. Cook wound up missing 10 games and was eventually acquitted. He never faced discipline from the NFL and played two more seasons with the Vikings before signing with the 49ers.

Governor Dayton waded into the Peterson controversy as the National Football League is battered by criticism. The charges against the Vikings star came out the same week that a new video emerged showing Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice punching his then-fiance in the face and knocking her out.
Rice had been given just a two game suspension for the domestic violence arrest. When the new video emerged, the league suspended him infinitely and the Ravens dropped him from the team.
In the latest abuse case, Adrian reportedly sent the boy's mother a text message claiming his son had smacked his head on a car seat.
1410891754328_Image_galleryImage_Minnesota_Gov_Mark_Dayton.JPG

+8

Weighing in: Minnesota Governor Mark Dayton said the Minnesota Vikings should suspend Adrian Peterson while he awaits trail. Peterson is by far the team's biggest star

1410801264774_Image_galleryImage_adrian_peterson.JPG

+8

1410801266026_wps_13_adrian_peterson.jpg

+8

Brutal: It comes just hours after Peterson spoke out for the first time since his arrest for severely whipping another of his children with a wooden switch. Above, police released these images of the boy's wounds

Tokens
1410801185540_wps_5_ST_LOUIS_MO_SEPTEMBER_7_A.jpg

+8

Back on the field: Peterson, the Minnesota Vikings' biggest star, was reinstated by the team after being kicked off the roster on Saturday. He will play next week against the New Orleans Saints

However, when she questioned him further, he is said to have later admitted hitting the child, texting: 'Be still n take ya whooping he would have saved the scare [scar]. He aight [all right].'He then wrote: 'I felt so bad, but he did it his self', according to KHOU 11 News Houston.
Peterson later revealed he had disciplined his son for cursing at his sibling, but refused to disclose his method of punishment, it is claimed.
Although the boy's mother filed a report with Child Protective Services, no charges were ever made against Peterson. The player's attorney declined to comment on the latest allegations.
However, sources close to the investigation have told TMZ that the reason no charges were made is because the child accidentally hit his head on the car seat while Peterson was punishing him.
A witness reportedly told Peterson's attorney that the star 'did nothing inappropriate with his son', while the form of discipline was said to be deemed 'not impermissible' under Texas law.
But this evening, Randy Burton, a former chief prosecutor of family crimes in Harris Country, branded the alleged abuse 'absolutely criminal'.
He added: 'You break the skin, you have bleeding, much less permanent scars, that is a crime.'
Earlier Monday, Peterson claimed he was 'not a child abuser' for whipping another four-year-old son, who has a different mother from that of the latest alleged victim.
'I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury,' he said.
1410889434427_wps_3_Head_coach_Mike_Zimmer_li.jpg

+8

Decision: Head coach Mike Zimmer listens as Vikings general manger Rick Spielman talked with reporters today about the decision to allow Adrian Peterson to return to the team

'No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that’s what I tried to do that day.'
In his statement, he defended the motivation behind the severe discipline he meted out, saying: 'Deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives.
'I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man.'
However, Peterson said he has seen a psychologist, who told him that there are usually better ways to discipline children than hitting them. He said he has had to 'reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward.'
The Vikings owners, the Wilf brothers, said they decided to bring Peterson back on the team after 'significant thought, discussion and consideration.
'As evidenced by our decision to deactivate Adrian from yesterday’s game, this is clearly a very important issue. On Friday, we felt it was in the best interests of the organization to step back, evaluate the situation, and not rush to judgment given the seriousness of this matter.
'At that time, we made the decision that we felt was best for the Vikings and all parties involved.'

Tokens
[h=3]PETERSON APOLOGIZES BUT DEFENDS HIMSELF: VIKINGS STAR ISSUES STATEMENT ABOUT CHILD ABUSE ARREST[/h]'My attorney has asked me not to discuss the facts of my pending case. I hope you can respect that request and help me honor it. I very much want the public to hear from me but I understand that it is not appropriate to talk about the facts in detail at this time. Nevertheless, I want everyone to understand how sorry I feel about the hurt I have brought to my child.
'I never wanted to be a distraction to the Vikings organization, the Minnesota community or to my teammates. I never imagined being in a position where the world is judging my parenting skills or calling me a child abuser because of the discipline I administered to my son.
'I voluntarily appeared before the grand jury several weeks ago to answer any and all questions they had. Before my grand jury appearance, I was interviewed by two different police agencies without an attorney. In each of these interviews I have said the same thing, and that is that I never ever intended to harm my son. I will say the same thing once I have my day in court.
'I have to live with the fact that when I disciplined my son the way I was disciplined as a child, I caused an injury that I never intended or thought would happen. I know that many people disagree with the way I disciplined my child. I also understand after meeting with a psychologist that there are other alternative ways of disciplining a child that may be more appropriate.
'I have learned a lot and have had to reevaluate how I discipline my son going forward. But deep in my heart I have always believed I could have been one of those kids that was lost in the streets without the discipline instilled in me by my parents and other relatives. I have always believed that the way my parents disciplined me has a great deal to do with the success I have enjoyed as a man. I love my son and I will continue to become a better parent and learn from any mistakes I ever make.
'I am not a perfect son. I am not a perfect husband. I am not a perfect parent, but I am, without a doubt, not a child abuser. I am someone that disciplined his child and did not intend to cause him any injury. No one can understand the hurt that I feel for my son and for the harm I caused him. My goal is always to teach my son right from wrong and that’s what I tried to do that day.
'I accept the fact that people feel very strongly about this issue and what they think about my conduct. Regardless of what others think, however, I love my son very much and I will continue to try to become a better father and person.'

Tokens

[h=1]Vikes again shelve Adrian Peterson[/h]
The Minnesota Vikings have reversed course on Adrian Peterson, putting him on the NFL's exempt/commissioner's permission list until his child-abuse case is resolved, which effectively bars him from all team activities, the team said in a news release early Wednesday morning.

"After giving the situation additional thought, we have decided this is the appropriate course of action for the organization and for Adrian," Vikings owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf said in a team news release. "We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization.
"We embrace our role -- and the responsibilities that go with it -- as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community."

Peterson was indicted last week in Montgomery County, Texas, on a count of reckless or negligent injury to a child. The charges stem from a whipping incident that reportedly left bruises and wounds to much of his 4-year-old son.
Peterson was also accused in 2013 of injuring another of his 4-year-old sons through a different mother in Texas, though charges were never brought. Those allegations were reportedly filed to the state's Child Protective Services agency, according to Houston CBS affiliate KHOU.
The Vikings reinstated Peterson on Monday, citing concern for due process and the legal proceedings before further discussions on Monday and Tuesday with the league warranted Wednesday morning's reversal.
Peterson had been deactivated for the Vikings' Week 2 game against the New England Patriots after the indictment was made public.
"While we were trying to make a balanced decision yesterday, after further reflection we have concluded that this resolution is best for the Vikings and for Adrian," the Vikings' statement said. "We want to be clear: we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children, and we want to be sure we get this right. At the same time we want to express our support for Adrian and acknowledge his seven-plus years of outstanding commitment to this organization and this community.
"Adrian emphasized his desire to avoid further distraction to his teammates and coaches while focusing on his current situation; this resolution accomplishes these objectives as well. We will support Adrian during this legal and personal process, but we firmly believe and realize this is the right decision. We hope that all of our fans can respect the process that we have gone through to reach this final decision."

Tokens
If his disapline was excessive nobody condones that but this is his family & personal business off the field & has nothing to do with his job....I thought it was innocent until proven guilty?....Peterson & Rice should sue the league for sticking their nose into their personal business that has nothing to do with the job...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalissaPal
The RX is the sports betting industry's leading information portal for bonuses, picks, and sportsbook reviews. Find the best deals offered by a sportsbook in your state and browse our free picks section.FacebookTwitterInstagramContact Usforum@therx.com